Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Food & Nutrition > Fancy Feast Classics
Pepper

"Queen of- Sherwood Forest"

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 10:37am PST 
We got some of pretty much everything, except turkey/chicken flavors (she HATES poultry...except for gamey things like quail). Her favorite so far has been catfish :p

They were on sale in our store too (and almost out of stock!)
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 7:57 am

Pepper

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 8:55am PST 
Thanks for the recommendation, Gummi! We got some Authority this weekend to try out and Pepper ADORES it! And it's actually cheaper than Fancy Feast :p

So, right now, our rotation looks like:

Before Grain
Authority
Fancy Feast Classics (if on sale, for a good price)
Spot's Stew

She is one happy cat big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 7:57 am

Pepper

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 7:22am PST 
Hunter, Pepper LOVED the Addiction can I bought for her. It was rabbit and blueberries, I think?

Only problem? It drove our dogs INSANO with excitement because of the yummy smells and they wouldn't stop pestering her! So no more addiction right now .... :p
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 7:57 am

Behavior & Training > Taking an indoor cat for walks outside... worth it?

Pepper

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:29am PST 
If your cat loves it, I say go for it!! But yeah, they'll have an opinion big grin

Pepper REFUSES to go outside. She hates it. If we even carry her outside (no harness, just in our arms), she'll start shaking. I can have the door open and she'll just stand on the threshold, staring out, but never go outside. I figure this is because she spent the first two months of her life "roughing" it outside in a parking lot/condo common areas and associates being outside with being cold, no food, and not being happy. As my mom says, she had her fill of the outdoors!!

That's not to say she doesn't enjoy our patio -- she practically lives out on the patio on her perch :p
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 11:45 am

Pepper

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:25am PST 
Yes, we do have a Petsmart! Actually, I can probably get just about anything that's suggested -- we have TONS of pet supply shops, ranging from the big ones (Petco, Petsmart), smaller franchises (Pet Supplies Plus), to small mom/pop (our local holistic pet store). I can pick up a can or two of Authority tomorrow to try it out big grin
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 7:57 am

Pepper

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:04am PST 
Since Pepper's started eating all wet, I've been looking for ways to keep her food budget in "reasonable" territory. Last week, I purchased a couple Fancy Feast classic feast cans at the store to try them out - Cod/Sole, Beef, Chicken - thinking I could combine feeding the cheaper FancyFeast with her favorites (Before Grain, Spot's Stew) to keep costs down.

Luckily, she really seems to enjoy Fancy Feast, so I've been feeding a can about every other day or so to supplement her more regular feedings of Merrick/Spot's Stew.

I still am challenged to think of anything I can buy in the grocery store as "good pet food", particularly with some of the horror stories I've heard re: Purina brands. Any tips/experience you kitties can offer? If Fancy Feast isn't a good low cost part of a varied diet, any suggestions?

*I can't feed raw due to people in my family with immunosupressed systems (transplants/etc), so that's sadly not an option.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 7:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Thank you, helpful kitties!

Pepper

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 11:27am PST 
A few weeks back, I posted about my struggles with my cat, Miss P's, eating. She would alternatively act starved and then reject food that she didn't like. I had been feeding her a mixture of wet and dry, mostly Weruva wet. Many of you suggested to try some different wet foods since she might not be getting enough fat and protein with the lean Weruva food. Also recommended going entirely to wet food.

It was a rough few weeks transitioning her over to new foods, but now she is a completely different kity! She's eating Before Grain, Spot's Stew, and some other healthy canned varieties with gusto...and last night, she actually rejected Weruva! I put a can of her old favorite (Grandma's Chicken Soup) and she picked at it, barely eating anything. When I replaced it with a small can of Before Grain (Quail and Beef are her favorites!), she ate heartily.

She is so happy and cheerful now, and not nearly so demanding about food. I don't think she was "starving" before but now she is getting good food that fills her up and keeps her healthy, rather than a spare ration of dry and some lean wet.

My husband noted with distress how much more often he has to clean the litter box :p
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 15 7:51 pm

Food & Nutrition > Cat acts starving all the time?!

Pepper

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 12:36pm PST 
I'm probably grossly rounding up. It's usually 250-300 and she doesn't eat most of it. For some reason, she doesn't gorge on wet like she does on dry.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 3:55 pm

Pepper

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 9:40am PST 
We started Pepper on some new foods this weekend to see what she cares for. She's the type of cat who easily switches between foods without upset or allergies, so I gave her some foods she has had before, in addition to some new ones.

She loved her old reliable - Spots' Stew - and happily ate it. Blue Bistros were a mixed bag; regular Blue Buff canned food (both Spa Selects, which she ought refused to even look at, and the Grain Free) she hated. She enjoyed Soulistice (sp?), but they don't really seem to have any non fish flavors and I try to avoid feeding fish regularly. I'll just have to keep investigating until I find some less expensive brands that I can feed her regularly.

I fed her two large cans a day (around 300-400 calories), but she rarely seemed to eat most of her breakfast. She would nibble at it when she got up, but then go to nap/play. Dinner she seems to eat more of, and she likes to eat late! I've noticed that she doesn't like to consume a can at once, but since I'm hesistant to leave wet food out for her like I would dry, I need to figure out how to work around her grazing habits.

She seemed MUCH happier and less annoyed. In fact, last night, she didn't even really come to dinner until I called her!

Bonito:

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_details.ph p?products_id=109590&eID=b9f2e5ff05f66547aadab4b6a9361c44#nutrition

When I buy "human" bonito, I typically get this brand - Eden. It's very low sodium (4 mg per 2 TB serving). I know that many brands preserve the bonito with lots of salt, so I always check the label if I'm buying a brand I'm not familiar with. And it's a treat for Pepper, not something I give her regularly. But yeah, you need to be careful about the salt level in dried fish products...and dried products in general :p
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 3:55 pm

Pepper

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '12 10:17am PST 
Right now, I have a canister of something called "Kitty Kaviar" which I got at Pet Supplies Plus - but in the past, I've just purchased plain bonito flakes from the asian food store or whole foods/greenwise publix. Our regular publix doesn't stock them. You just need to check to make sure there aren't any additives/etc. They can be a bit messy to eat and they stink, but Pepper adores them.

I think some of the brands for cats - Kitty Kaviar, Cat-Man-Doo - might use the darker fish flesh for more intense flavor, but the cost difference is HUGE if you just buy the stuff for people at the organic/asian food store. 6 bucks for something that would have cost 40 at the pet store!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 3:55 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.