(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Cat Health > Very Dark Crumbly Stool!
Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Thu Nov 24, '11 6:45am PST 
Hi All,

Happy Turkey Day!!!

My diabetic kitty Ozzie has been OTJ for a month and a half or so.

I've been having some issues trying to get both my cats over here to eat. They do eat, but they really seem uninterested in the food. I keep trying new items in the hopes they'll be more interested!

Today, I noticed that Ozzie went #2, and it was very dark in color. Upon closer examination, the stool was also very dry and crumbly when I broke it in two and also had hair in it.

Ozzie had a few bouts of diahrrea a couple weeks ago, likely from a new food I was trying.

Right now I am supplementing with Forti Flora while I try some new stuff out. They are getting FF Classic Chicken or Turkey. I've been trying BeforeGrain Chicken and Beef, and Merrick's Cowboy Cookout (which they are actually eating).

Could this be a food thing or from the Forti Flora? Or should we go for a vet visit?

Ozzie seems to be acting normal otherwise. I checked his BG today after he ate a little and it was at 83.

Any advice would be appreciated!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sootball , Nov 26 12:23 am

Cat Health > Worried cat isn't eating enough & aggression between my two cats
Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 9:00am PST 
yeah... I hear ya with the old houses! I think I can fit 4 pairs of pants in most of my closets. They are sooooo tiny!!!

I heard they have calming collars. I'll try one on Milo (the current aggressor) and see if it helps! Hoping we can all sleep peacefully tonight!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Nov 11 12:21 pm

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 5:04am PST 
Hi Alex,

I actually got a sample of IntelliFlora which is for pets from PSCPETS.COM. Have you heard of that one? It doesn't have any animal digest in it either.

I'll look into B12 for Ozzie.

Well.. I was kept up again last night with the fighting. I have a big cat bed on my bed for them to sleep in, as well as another single sized one it the room. Most of the fighting seems to be centered around the bigger bed. I got so mad last night I put their bed on the floor. I want to try the feliway plug in, but I live in an older house, so the plugs are horizontal on the bottom of the wall. Not sure if the plug in can work when it's not vertical. I heard they make a spray, so was thinking maybe I could try spraying it on the bed itself.

Ozzie is doing great aside from the diahrrea he had the other week. Not sure why Milo is so agressive towards him, I am hoping it's a territorial thing with the bed?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Nov 11 12:21 pm

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Mon Nov 7, '11 6:04am PST 
Hi all.

My kitty Ozzie was dx with diabetes back on 9/24/11. He's in remission right now and is OTJ. He has lost a lot of weight since his diagnosis, which I am sure some has to do with the diet change.

I've tried all sorts of food, and it just seems like he isn't crazy about anything! Right now he's getting FF classic chicken, and I have started adding a small amount of wellness chicken to start to transition. I'd like him to be on a better quality food he actually likes.He weighed in at 13lbs and change last week at the vets. Before his dx, he was a 16lb pound boy. He ate some food this morning. Been sprinkling fortiflora on it while we are incorporating the wellness in. I'm getting so frustrated and worried that he isn't eating enough because he hates everything that diabetic kitties can have.

The other issue is my two cats have reallllly been fighting a lot lately. When Ozzie was first dx, Milo was beating him up a lot. Ozzie is the alpha cat, so my vet thought it was because Milo could sense him being sick. When he was on the insulin, Milo stopped beating him up, but now that he is off, they both are going at each other constantly with both of them being the aggressor. Is there anything I could do to get it to stop?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Nov 11 12:21 pm

Cat Health > Help!!!first time blood glucose testing at home. Readings at 61 and 69.

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Fri Oct 7, '11 5:16am PST 
I went out wed eve and bought the relion micro. I tested both the micro and the confirm on myself, and got at first 59-Micro and 80 Confirm. Second reading both matched at 80.

Ozzie did not get insulin wed eve, his number was 372 thursday morning, so I gave him 3 units. Checked him at 5:30pm (an hour after having food... he was hungry) last evening and he was 215.

Vet said to give him 2 1/2 units, but I felt scared about doing that and everyone FDMB suggested just 1 unit given at 6:30pm. Re-checked at 10pm, he was at 100. Re-checked at 11:30pm he was at 232.

This morning he was at 362. Again, just gave him one unit.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gandalf the Grey (GA), Oct 12 9:29 am

Cat Health > Help!!!first time blood glucose testing at home. Readings at 61 and 69.
Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Thu Oct 6, '11 6:27am PST 
Ozzie tested at 372 this morning... Phew! Was able to give his insulin!

Will check again before his 6pm dose.

I'm determined to get the hang of this!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Gandalf the Grey (GA), Oct 12 9:29 am

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Wed Oct 5, '11 4:36pm PST 
Tested with the Confrim relion today. Readings at 61, and 69. Ozzie was checked yesterday at the vet and he was at 345.

I called the vet because he was due for insulin. We are going to err on the side of caution and not give the insulin tonight, and will give in the morning.

Is the meter defective? Did I do something wrong?

Should I get another confirm meter or switch?

Also, Oz was quite traumatized by the poking.... he went to hide after the second reading.

Any advice to make things go easier? Momma is a little stressed out.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Gandalf the Grey (GA), Oct 12 9:29 am

Cat Health > Just diagnosed with Diabetes!

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Tue Sep 27, '11 7:43am PST 
Just a quick food question:

Thanks to all who shared the food links...

Looks like EVO is very low in carbs, if I am reading correct?

I also read somewhere that the fancy feast classics are also good?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Mar 6 5:55 pm

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Tue Sep 27, '11 7:24am PST 
Thank you everyone for all your advice!

Momma's had a tough few days, as she had the stomach flu since Sunday.

Despite how ill I was yesterday, I had my friend drive me with Ozzie to the vets so we could learn how to give him insulin.

Ozzie is a 14lb cat, and we are starting him on 2 units twice a day. I have already given him 2 doses, so far so good. I'm still a little nervous doing it but know that with pratice it's going to get easier for me to do.

Thanks for the food info and links. I told the vet I really didn't want to have Ozzie on the prescription foods. He wants to just put him on the DM until we get a handle on everything, then we can switch to a non-prescription food. As many of you have mentioned here he said many cats will just transition off the DM and go onto Fancy Feast. Momma doesn't like fancy feast either, but I figure I'll have some time to some research while he's on the DM to see what I'll end up changing him to down the road.

The food changing is a little overwhelming because of the two cats. They both were having grain free pouches and grain free dry left out. I may get a bag of the DM dry so I can tranisition the both of them off of dry food completley rather than stopping abruptly. Seeing how Ozzie's food is $38 a case for the wet, I am going to try to just feed that to him. I am super busy with a full time job, part-time job and grad school, but I'll have to find a way to make it work!

Last Sat when I was informed of Ozzie's diganosis, I did bring up the asthma and told him that there will be no more oral steriods for Ozzie. I have the AeroKat here already, but Ozzie's internist felt it was safe he was on such a small dose of oral steroids back when I purchased it so we never used it. I asked the vet yesterday if he thought the diabetes was steroid induced, he said he didn't think so because the dose was small, but it may have been enough to push him over. I'm hoping Ozzie can go into remission!

Thanks to all of you for all your continuing advice and support. It makes this so much easier to deal with.

Much love and purrs,
Ozzie & Vivian
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Mar 6 5:55 pm

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 8:38am PST 
My buddy Oz recently has been drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. He had bloodwork done yesterday, and I got the call this morning letting me know he has diabetes. Poor guy, he already has asthma!

So, Ozzie and Momma go to the vet Monday morning so I can learn to give him his insulin shots. Because this is such a new thing, it's pretty scary.

I am assuming they will try to push prescription food on me, but Momma knows most of it is garbage. My guys have been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Grain Free Wellness pouches.

Are there any high quality non-prescrption foods that can be used for diabetic kitties? Also, seeing how I have another kitty Milo here who doesn't have diabetes, can he eat it as well???

Also, is there is anything else I should ask the vet on Monday? I really am hoping we can get this to go into remission.

As a side note, for all of you cat owners who sense something wrong with your cat always trust your gut. In my experiences both with Ozzies Asthma and now the diabetes I knew something wasn't right with him. I of course had people tell me I was overreacting or I take my cat to the vet too much. You are the person who knows your animal the best so always trust yourself.

Thanks all on catster for your continued advice and support. It has helped so much!!!

Ozzie and Vivian
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Mar 6 5:55 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.