GO!

Pooping Outside the box

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 9:04pm PST 
My Maine Coon has had issue with the litter box since i can remember but only when it come to having to go #2. He seems to urinate in it fine but otherwise he goes to the bathroom just outside the box. We have 4 litter boxes for 2 cats because we were trying to solve the problem by having multiple boxes. I tried large boxes, i tried hooded boxes I tried moving boxes to different places in the house. We have tried Scented litter vs. Unscented litter. When he does use the box he doesn't cover it up.

One thing i did notice in some thread was the suggestion of the larger pellets brands for Maine Coons because they may not like the texture in the tufts of their fur. Has anyone else had this problem before? Any advice?
[notify]

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 5:00pm PST 
Hello, I had the same problem at the beginning and the only answer I found was to get him a litter box with very high sides and I use clay litter and the crystal one so it won't clump in his long hair. I also used those plastic liner so it wouldn't be as hard to clean up. His litter box would be kind off in a corner, with two walls on two sides. Those poor Maine Coons are twice the size of a normal cat, and lack room, so this is why I bought him a super extra big box with very high sides since they need a lot of room when they do their business, digging and covering up. Hope this helps... big grin
[notify]

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 12:14am PST 
Hello, I had the same problem at the beginning and the only answer I found was to get him a litter box with very high sides and I use clay litter and the crystal one so it won't clump in his long hair. I also used those plastic liner so it wouldn't be as hard to clean up. His litter box would be kind off in a corner, with two walls on two sides. Those poor Maine Coons are twice the size of a normal cat, and lack room, so this is why I bought him a super extra big box with very high sides since they need a lot of room when they do their business, digging and covering up. Hope this helps... big grin
[notify]