GO!

How big at 12 weeks?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sat Jan 26, '08 11:25am PST 
Hey guys!
I was wondering if any of you know how big you were at 12 weeks old and how big did you grow up to be? My vet said I am small for my age and my humans are worried because they chose the Maine Coon breed because they wanted a large cat who could hold their own against the large DSH cat who lives here...
[notify]

Bailey

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '08 4:41pm PST 
I was just tiny at 12 weeks. In fact this picture is of me at around 12 weeks (give or take a week). I was the runt of the litter and only weighed 4 oz at 3 weeks when my owners started caring for me. After the first year I really started to fill out though. I'm about 15 lbs today.

If my information is correct Maine Coons don't finish growing until we are between 2 and 5 years old though so it may be too early to make an assessment.
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Wed Apr 2, '08 3:14am PST 
You might not believe it, but I was around 6 pounds at 12 weeks (a few weeks after this picture was taken). Today, three months later, I weighed in at 7.7 pounds. My bones have suddenly started getting longer, I'm getting the LOOOONG Maine Coon torso that's characteristic of my family, and my paws are getting huge! I'm a female, and my owner is hoping that I turn out to be rather large, because she likes to put us in cat shows, but female Maine Coons tend to be markedly smaller than the males, and so usually don't do well at shows, where size really matters. Does anyone else have a 5 month old female Maine Coon cat, and how much does she weigh? kitty
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sat Apr 19, '08 5:24pm PST 
Chibi I am 5 months old now and I weight between 5.5 and 6 pounds... I guess I am still small for my age. shrug

It's funny because my humans have a rescued mixed breed kitten who was a feral (got him at 6-7 weeks old)... He is just a few weeks older than me so he's just turning 6 months old and he already weighs almost 9 pounds...
[notify]

Jagger

I love all- people

Purred: Mon Apr 21, '08 8:32am PST 
I was a big 9 pounds at 12 weeks old. I have tipped the scales at 22 pounds once, but the vet told my owner that I should lose a few so I'm now down to 20 pounds but it's all muscle. I still manage to squeeze into the smallest cat bed in the house - even if it's intended for my 10 lb adopted brother.
[notify]

Maggie

Princess Snow- Belle

Purred: Mon Apr 21, '08 11:23am PST 
Hi Rory,

I did not grow much until I was about 10 months old, then I grew a lot. However, I know you are poly, and last year Mama was speaking with the lady from a cattery that is trying to get polys accepted for MCs for regular showing since it is really a trait that many have - especially indigenous Maine Coons. This lady, who is quite noted, had one of her Poly's with her and she was smallish. She said some tend to be smaller than non-polys.
No matter what your size you are a stunning kitten!!
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Mon Apr 21, '08 5:26pm PST 
Hey Maggie thanks for the info! That is the first time I have heard of polys being smaller.
The only think I had heard before about differences was I read that polydactyl Maine Coons often have heavier boner structure which some breeders use (by adding a poly to their lines) to improve the bone structure in their show cats.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Wed Apr 23, '08 2:13pm PST 
As Maggie says, Maine Coons develop slowly and often don't reach their full size until 3 years old or so. Harvey, our brother, was almost as big at 6 months as he is now (around 12-13 pounds then, I think), but then he sort of stopped, and now he's getting a more mature build and weighs around 15 pounds. I was told by cat show friends that MCs often have a spurt of growth between one year and one and a half years. All I can say is make sure that you're getting the best food out there (I'm sure you are), and that you get lots of excercise to stimulate your appetite and build up your muscles.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sat Apr 26, '08 3:18pm PST 
Thanks Leila! My humans did a lot of research before choosing my food so I think I am doing pretty well as far as that goes... I am eating Orijen and various canned foods like Wellness and Evanger's...
As far as exercise goes, my "brother" Church and I chase each other around pretty much all day! laugh out loud
[notify]

Leonardo C

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '08 2:47am PST 
I am 11 weeks old and weighs 3,6pounds. My brother Arthur Camelot C was 3,2pounds and he weighs 15,2pounds now (10 months) and by other brother Julius Ceasar was 1,4pounds and weighs 11,2 pounds (1year 8mths). My brother Julius is much smaler than my brother Arthur and depends a lot on the breeding. Hope this helps?wave
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2