GO!

How can I tell the difference?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Marina

I speak- therefore I am

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '08 5:24pm PST 
I work in a shelter and we have a cat that was dropped off at our door. They have her listed as a persian but she looks more like a himalayan. How can I tell the difference?
thinking
[notify]

Jasmine

Who says I'm not- a dog?!

Purred: Tue Mar 4, '08 7:53am PST 
I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong....but I believe Himalayans are classed as Persians. The difference which sets them apart is the "Siamese" markings and coloring.
[notify]

Noble

Everyone loves- an orange tabby.

Purred: Thu Mar 13, '08 2:03pm PST 
The cat above me is right I think.
I don't know much about cats... but weren't Himalayans bred from persians and siemese?
[notify]

Pandora

Purred: Sun Mar 16, '08 10:20am PST 
Yes, originally Persians were bred with siamese for the colouring patterern called Colour point.

This means that if the kitty is a Hymalayan, she should have a different colour on her paws, nose, ears, and tail. The body should be lighter thank these colour points. The points can be any number of different colours, dark brown, light grey, even orange, just to name a few.

Persians are not pointed in tis way, and their colouring can be solid. bi colour, tabby, etc

Hope this helps

Edited by author Sun Mar 16, '08 10:22am PST

[notify]

Gysmo,- (Always in- my heart)

Miranda, my love

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 8:49am PST 
Jasmine and Pandora are correct!!! applauseapplause

Edited by author Wed Apr 9, '08 8:50am PST

[notify]

Jasmine

Who says I'm not- a dog?!

Purred: Wed Aug 20, '08 3:49pm PST 
hamster dance
[notify]

Oliver

"It's gon' rain"

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 11:31pm PST 
i was wondering the same thing!! i just got my kitty and some of his papers say "Himilayan" and some say "Persian." even the vet didn't know. i know that Himilayans were bred from Persians and Siamese but they are their own breed. I'm not sure smile
[notify]

Elliott

Don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful

Purred: Thu Jan 22, '09 7:52am PST 
wave I am told that a Himalayan (by "show") standards is to have a small physique (much smaller in size than their relative the Persian), round, flat face, perfectly round (not almond) shaped eyes. The standard is the flat, squished looking face with a high, flat nose. Though the doll face Himmys with a more traditional looking cat face are still classified as Hims, they are not permissible in shows. I don't breed or show my Himmy. He was dumped at a shelter in a box, presumably not good enough to sell or show. By my own curiosity has led me to do research.
[notify]