Depth Challenge - Post Here!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 6:05am PST 
This is where you post your photo for the Depth of Field Challenge. These will be scored.

And the reveal will be Saturday at 9 am, Dogster time.

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 6:37am PST 
Challenge 2

Depth of Field

My Beautiful Gentle Little Alien... Lucas.

I thought initially this photograph was about Flicka.. but soon realised it wasnt. Its about Lucas.

Flicka and I found Lucas in a Park one morning. He was around 7 weeks old... cram full of worms.. and dumped on a day that would finally reach 105F. Luckily we found him at 7am.

He isnt of this Planet... he is my soft gentle Alien.... puzzled by this world... loves everyone . None of Flicka's insecurities and issues. Lucas is now 5 1/2 years old.

Here you see him as he often is... on the fringes... maybe looking for the Mothership... looking out for us in THIS world. He is unbribable with anything and has a concentration limit of a nano second !

When I am in alot of pain Flicka is the velcro boy(see how close he is in the pic !) but Lucas will come in Stealth Mode(he has a Silence that is stunning)and just heal my spirit. He IS my Spirit Healer. He has fur so soft .. the like softness of which I have never come across.

So... here he is.... the picture is about HIM.... and in my heart always... I See You.

I See You

Van Winkle

Call Me Winkie!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:31am PST 
relieved Getting depth of field with my little point-and-shoot has been a HUGE challenge this week! laugh out loudlaugh out loud Thanks to all my savvy pals who have offered tips and suggestions and links. I wanted an outdoor shot, the days have been so lovely. But then I thought, who am I kidding? No outdoor shot is going to say "Winkie," because Winkie is really not an outdoor dog. He enjoys being outside, but he is most himself in the comfort and security of walls and toys and soft furniture. Plus, this week he's on restricted activity because of a problem with his back.

So I thought to feature his favorite toy, the one he brought with him from his foster home. The technical difficulties--not only depth of field (and I realize I was only marginally successful here), but the constant lighting issues in our north-facing and under-electrified townhouse--only added to the challenge. But in the end, I achieved a photo I really love. In Winkie's world, this is his stuffed twin, his playmate, his point of continuity, his North Star. Where Winkie Jr. is, there it is safe. Under his watch, there is rest.

Winkie Jr.

Bonzer

I'm a good boy!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 11:01am PST 
I said "where's the eagle?" and Bonzer's head whipped up and he scanned the sky for eagles. He doesn't like eagles to land in his yard or lurk around the pond and he'll bark and chase them off. One summer we had a family of mallards living at the pond. I looked out the window and saw an eagle swoop down and snatch up a duckling. I yelled to Bonzer "eagle at the pond!" and he ran to the pond and chased it off but by then there were only a few baby ducks left (he learned what eagle at the pond meant from a previous year, when the eagles were going after my koi fish). For awhile after that his Dogster motto was 'Defender of baby ducks'.

I love the ghostly auras around the spruce trees in this picture. They were only visible in the photograph.

Eagle Eye Bonzer

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 1:17pm PST 
I'm going to admit that I had a hard time with this challenge. My camera has very limited settings, and try as I might I couldn't figure out how to get any of my pictures exactly how I wanted them.

But this is the picture I decided to submit. Kitsune LOVES the beach. He's a happy go lucky guy in general, but he just completely lights up when we get to the beach. If I had to pick the one place he loves the most, this would probably be it. The second his toes touch the sand it's like he enters this state of pure joy, and watching him bound around in the sand and the waves so happily is great therapy for me as well.

This is our special place. We live in the city, which I really don't like, but we have this cute little park near our house. There is a boardwalk that leads to this little beach. Usually when we go there, we're alone, which is a rarity around here. Just me and Kit, and the sound of the waves.

Right before I took this picture, Kitsune was digging in the sand. He had little pieces of sand stuck to his nose, which I though was really adorable. So I was trying to focus on the sand on his nose when I took the picture. Even if this isn't the best picture, it really makes me smile. Silly Kitsune looks happy, looking out at the ocean with sand stuck to his nose and the sun shinning behind him. I like that you can see the sand, the water, and trees in the background - No signs of the icky city despite the fact that we were pretty much right in the middle of it.

Beach Bum Kitsune!

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 1:21pm PST

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 2:10pm PST 
I'm glad I caught this image when I did! It has been raining ever since!

This photo is of Pixie. I chose her ball as the object of my focus, rather than Pixie. I was attempting to symbolize her love of this object. It is always her focus, so I attempted to portray that in this image. I love how strong she is standing, and how alert she is. We have to remove that little green ball from her possession when we aren't in the mood to play or she will kill herself trying to play with us. She will not go out in the rain... Unless a ball is involved. Once it was stuck in the couch and we spent days trying to figure out what she was obsessively pawing at...through the couch cover, cushion, and all the way into the pull out bed. The point is this: She is obsessed with her ball.

The object of her affection

ETA: forgot I was posting all as Gunner. red face

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 2:13pm PST

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 2:33pm PST 
Well, this week i left it quite late to try for a picture but today i was hoping to recreate a shot taken last January that would fit the challenge. However things didn't go to plan and i didn't achieve the greatest looking DOF so i've decided to go with another shot taken from our holiday in Wales a few months back ( i do plan on using a recent pic i've taken during the week, i promise! ) So here it is -

Joy on the beach

It's not the most perfect in terms of focus, but i LOVE his sheer enjoyment at being on the beach. You wouldn't guess that moments before he'd been limping after he twisted his leg would you? He went on to limp badly the rest of that day & night and was struggling to get up from sleeping etc, but after a good nights rest he was back to normal.

You said Judges, that you didn't want a plain background, and i'm hoping this isn't to plain. The grains of sand being kicked up around his head/body and the rocks in the background add some interest hopefully and there is added colour other than just one plain background ( such as just a grassy background for example )

Dandi

To Know Me Is To- Love Me

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 2:48pm PST 
I loved this challenge! I've wanted to be able to get this kind of picture for years and just didn't know how to achieve it! Thank you! This picture actually has 3 different layers of focus. Her nose is slightly out of focus, her beautiful eyes are clear and in focus and the baby fir trees behind her are out of focus.

I am always drawn to pictures that speak to my heart and this one spoke volumes to me. I chose this picture of Dandi because it was her eyes that melted my heart the moment I picked her up at 4 weeks old. When Dandi looks at me I see something rare today... unconditional love! I see that love when I'm sick and she won't leave my side. I've seen that love as she has tended to a hurting Grand Child. I've seen that love break through the walls of confirmed dog haters! I see that love when I'm struggling as well as when I'm sitting at my desk working with Dogster. It's always there, my big bundle of fury, unconditional love!
The eye have it!

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 4:58pm PST 
At the end of a winter's day, after dusk has fallen and we are inside for the night, this is where you can find my entire furry crew -- in front of the woodstove.

Rexy has taken toasting her whiskers to an art form...she has figured out exactly where the best place to sprawl out is, and occasionally has discussions about this with the two cats.

In this photo you see her flat on the rug in front of the stove, with the firelight gleaming off the end of her nose. One of the cats is a very fuzzy, indistinct lump on the right side of the photo. The other cat is on an armchair behind us.

This was a challenging photo to capture (lying that close to a dog nose and not having her smear it across the lens was a feat in itself!), and so I learned a bit more about how my camera functions and what I can do with it.

Day's End

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:30pm PST 
I thought this challenge would be a snap, but it was harder than I expected.

I tried to get a good photo inside, but came up with nothing.
Took Treader outside along with some treats, a bully stick, and some toys.

Treader is most himself when he is outside. He loves to explore, so he hates to be made to stay in one place. The one thing that keeps him from running off when he is off-leash is food. He completely ignores his toys when he's outside, so any photos with his toys didn't work out.

Then he heard a noise and sat up to listen to it, and I snapped this photo.

Treader outside

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2