Little Bitty Very Ill-CKF

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
U-Cat - (Loving- Memory)- 1988-07

Little Six-Toes

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 6:37am PST 
Hi Effurrybody,

We have a diagnosis from the vet. I'm afraid it's not good. It looks like our sweet little Bitsy has CKF. She is weak and not eating. We go back to the vet this morning to find out how to make her more comfortable. Please purr for her. She's a very sweet girl.
Love and purrs
-u (& Lorie)

Tuffy

Tuffy-

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 9:38am PST 
(((U-Cat and Lorie))) We are so sorry to hear that. We will purr and pray that Little Bitty won't have a lot of pain and that there will be something that can be done to help her feel better. She is such a cute little sweetheart!

Shadow

Feral No More!

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 3:06pm PST 
Oh, U-Cat, how very sorry we are to read this. There is hope, though; with the right treatments, cats with renal disease can live several years beyond diagnosis. Please keep us posted on how she's doing!hug

Tinkerbell- Dreamette#14

Mittens

Purred: Thu Mar 22, '12 1:05pm PST 
hughugbig hughughug We are praying here big hug

Little Six-Toes

Purred: Mon Mar 26, '12 7:21am PST 
Thank you effuryyone for purraying for Bitsy. She was very thin when I got home last week. The vet gave us a very grim prognosis. He told me she has lost quite a bit of kidney function and he was talking about euthanasia. We managed to get some weight back on her. Have taken her several times for sub-Q's. She is stable now. Doing better but still weak; still not herself. Do not know if she will recover. She has gotten to be very picky about what she will eat. It is a real challenge to feed her. The vet says that she may associate foods that she has eaten with feeling bad, and so, may not eat those foods again. Plus, she needs to take a phosphate binding antacid and she HAAAATTTTTEEESSSSSSS it! Thank you all again for your concern. We will keep you posted.
Love and purrs
-u (and Lorie)

Shadow

Feral No More!

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 6:58am PST 
It's been a long time (thanks be to God) since I've had to deal with this, but I know that things have changed for the better. Have you thought of a second opinion? An internist would be best. When Merlin was sick, there wasn't a whole lot that could be done, but from what I've read on the Yahoo feline anemia board, lots more is available these days. Epogen, for one: it's a synthetic form of erythopoetin, the factor that has something to do with making red blood cells. CRF people become anemic because of the lack of it. I'm just uncomfortable with your doctor speaking already of euthanasia. It's true that Little Bitty must have lost a great deal of kidney function; Merlin's doctor told me that, by the time a cat shows symptoms, 70% of function has been lost. But that in and of itself doesn't mean that you have to send her to the Bridge now. Kidney transplants are also possible although, in most cases, prohibitively expensive, and you must adopt the donor cat.

If Little Bitty won't eat her regular food - or the kidney diet that the doctor may have recommended - try Fancy Feast. Sometimes, it's the only thing that a sick cat will eat, and it's better to feed a poor food than no food at all. CRF cats are frequently nauseous, which is why they won't eat. Did her doctor suggest giving her some Pepcid? Perhaps you should ask about it.

Don't give up just yet, and know that we're praying for you and Little Bitty.hug

Tuffy

Tuffy-

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 11:20am PST 
Yes, continued purrs and prayers here too. We know another family that is going through a very similar circumstance. They are feeding baby food to their kitty. We had a kitty several years ago that had similar symptoms and it was very hard to get him to eat.

I don't like the vet's attitude of suggesting that you euthanize so early either. Some vets seem to think that it is a quick solution and that a person can always get another kitty. They just don't realize how much our babies are just like family. Sure hope that Little Bitty will start eating and feel better! We love you sweet little girl; please eat for your Mommy and get well.

Little Six-Toes

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 3:05pm PST 
Thank you Tuffy, Shadow, Tinkerbell. You are all so sweet. The vet did recommend Pepcid AC and I have been giving that to her along with another phosphate binding antacid. She acts awful when I give it to her. She doe NOT like to take her medicine. meditate I believe it is working tho, because it seems to help her appetite. She is eating baby food..turkey and ...strained peas. shrug
She will eat a shrimp once in a while and a little bit of cat food. I just keep trying different brands. Thank you again for all the love and support. You guys are wonderful.
Purrs,
-u (& Lorie)

Shadow

Feral No More!

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 5:04pm PST 
I just had a thought: another thing to watch for is constipation. I don't remember the physiological reasons, but kidney disease has something to do with this.

Tuffy

Tuffy-

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 8:15am PST 
U-Cat and Lorie, we know another family is going through the exact same thing right now. Their kitty is at the vet's as we speak after an over-night stay but is expected to come home this afternoon.

She has been having trouble eating and keeping her food down. The vet has started her on k/d wet food and so far, it seems to be staying down and she likes it. Many others have agreed that is a good food for the kitties with kidney problems and who are having problems with eating and keeping down their food. You might want to ask your vet about it!

This other family is also feeding chicken flavored baby food along with shredded bits of chicken. It sounds as if you are feeding Little Bitty a very similar diet; so that is good. Please keep us posted and let us know how she is doing. I also found a very informative post on CKF if you are interested, I will post it for you. Purrs and prayers for our sweet Little Bitty.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3