Todays Story

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
♥- Dayzee- ♥

I got THE- power!! Jesus.

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 6:59am PST 
welcome
This thread will feature true little inspirational stories that will touch your hearts and bless your souls.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
big grin

Edited by author Tue Mar 13, '12 9:18am PST

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 7:00am PST 
Today's Story

Expect a Miracle

Wherever I go, I carry a small gray stone. It's in my purse all day, tucked under my pillow each night. And on it are painted three simple words: Expect a miracle. I did expect one, and against all odds, that's exactly what I was given.

A year ago, when I first had bloating and pains in my pelvis and lower abdomen, I passed it off as side effects from the estrogen I was taking for menopause. But driving home one day, the pains got so wrenching I nearly crashed my car.

This can't be normal! I thought in fear. I'm a nurse, so I raced to my medical books as soon a I got home. Almost as if I were directed, I picked one from the shelf and opened straight to the page on ovarian cancer. A chill raced down my spine as I read the symptoms, bloating, pain, frequent urination...I had every one.

"We'll have to run some tests," my doctor said after examining me. "But it could be ovarian cancer." Driving home, I felt so scared I could barely breathe. And when I walked in the door, my husband, Rich, took one look at me, and hugged me close. "We just need to pray," he told me.

But my test results were terrifying: I had a large tumor, and a blood test that indicated the possible presence of ovarian cancer read 462, normal is 30. I'm going to die! I wept.

That night, I forced myself to stay calm as I told our two teenage daughters that I had cancer. But when I saw the fear in their eyes, my heart nearly broke in two. So I wouldn't burden them with my fear, I said I had to run to the store and slipped out to my car, tears coursing down my cheeks.

In my mind, I pictured all the faces I loved: Rich, the girls, our five other children through previous marriages, parents, friends...

Oh, God, please don't take my life, I pleaded. I still have so much to live for.

"Don't do this alone," my priest told me when I cried to him. "Let others help you." And the next day, all those faces I pictured the night before were in my home, surrounding me with their love.

Their love carried me through my surgery to remove the tumor, along with my fallopian tubes and ovaries. But I was far from out of danger. "You still have only a 15 percent chance of making it," once doctor told me. "Your only hope is chemotherapy."

Half crazed with fear, I began making frantic bargains: if you heal me, God, I'll be a better wife, a better mom, a better person. Just give me a second chance.

I had six chemo treatments, one every three weeks. Sometimes I thought I wouldn't make it through them, they made me so weak and sick. But when I most needed a boost, a friend would show up with dinner or drop by to take the girls out.

Folks even organized fund-raisers to help us pay my medical bills!

Bouyed by so much love, I knew I owed it to others, and to myself, to stay optimistic. So I read books on healing and listened to tapes that helped me visualize getting well. I'm not giving in, I'd think. Rich was my strength whenever I felt afraid, praying with me and holding me. My daughters stayed positive, too. Lindsay, 14, and Sarah, 16, refused to believe I would die. "You're going to be all right, Mom," they'd say.

But after my last treatment, I faced a terrifying moment of truth. Doctors were going to take 100 biopsies, one in ever place they feared the cancer might have spread.

"To be honest, we don't expect to find you're cancer-free," they warned. And if the chemo hadn't destroyed the cancer cells, my chances for survival were slim.
I could feel terror creeping into every fiber of my being. I can't give up hope now, I thought fiercely. So before leaving for the hospital, I opened the drawer where I kept a good-luck symbol a friend had given me, a small, hand-painted rock.

Expect a miracle, I read, then slipped the stone in my purse. The stone was still in my purse the next day, when I opened my eyes after surgery to find a pretty woman with dark hair and a white dress leaning over my hospital bed.

She must be a nurse, I thought. But she had no pills in her hand, no blood pressure monitor to hook up. Instead, she looked at me kindly and asked, "Are you the one who's looking for a miracle?"

Confused, I stammered, "Yes." But how did she know? I wondered. Then, before the question left my lips, she'd vanished.

The next morning, the woman in white was beside me once again. In her hand was a plaque that read: Miracles Happen Every Day. "Is this what you're looking for?" she asked gently.

Tears sprang to my eyes, but before I could say a word, once again she was gone. As I gazed at the plaque she'd given me, I felt a funny tingly sensation throughout my body...

"Dawn," Rich said as I groggily opened my eyes, "the results of the biopsies are in. They were negative, each and every one!" I'll never know whether the woman was a nurse, or an angel. but it doesn't matter. She came to let me know that hopes are never foolish, prayers never wasted.

Today I'm 49 and cancer-free. And each time I hug my daughters, share a quiet moment with Rich or just watch autumn leaves scuttle across the sidewalk, I remember again that every new day is a blessing, a new chance to expect a miracle.

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 7:07am PST 
Today's Story

Faith and Giving Of a Child

Sometimes children, in their innocence, are the most faithful and giving people in our lives. This story is very touching.

There was a family that was experiencing a small tragedy. One of their two sons had acquired an illness that required a marrow transplant. Of course, the medical personnel had all the family members tested to see who had the proper type of blood. It turned out the older brother of the sick boy was the perfect match. So the father sat the older brother down and told what they needed to do in simplest terms for the young boy. The father told him that his little brother was very very sick and that he needed to show his little brother how much he loved him by having surgery. The doctors need to take a little piece of him and put it in his little brother's body so that he doesn't die. The young boy thought about it for a couple seconds, and then he said he would do it.

So the older brother went through surgery. It was a success, and his little brother was recovering quickly. After the relief and joy passed over and the family was just sitting around relaxing, the father noticed his older son looking a little down and depressed. He took his son aside and asked him why he wasn't happy- his brother was getting better. His son said that he was very glad that his brother was getting better. So the father asked again, why are you so sad? The boy said, "When is it time for me to die?"

That's when the father realized what the boy actually had on his mind. His older son believed in his heart of hearts that he had to give up his own life so that his little brother who he loved could live.

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 7:10am PST 
Today's Story

Open the Rose

A beautiful story/poem with a meaning we should all listen to...

A young, new preacher was walking with an older, more seasoned preacher in the garden one day and feeling a bit insecure about what God had for him to do, he was inquiring of the older preacher. The older preacher walked up to a rosebush and handed the young preacher a rosebud and told him to open it without tearing off any petals.

The young preacher looked in disbelief at the older preacher and was trying to figure out what a rosebud could possibly have to do with his wanting to know the WILL OF GOD for his life and for his ministry. Because of his high respect for the older preacher, he proceeded to TRY to unfold the rose, while keeping every petal intact...It wasn't long before he realized how it was impossible to do so.

Noticing the younger preacher's inability to unfold the rosebud while keeping it intact, the older preacher began to tell the following poem...

It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of GOD's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine.
The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
GOD opens this flower so sweetly,
When in my hands they fade and die.
If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of GOD's design,
Then how can I think I have wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?
So I'll trust in Him for His leading
Each moment of every day.
I will look to Him for His guidance
Each step of the pilgrim way.
The pathway that lies before me,
Only my heavenly Father knows.
I'll trust Him to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose.

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:51am PST 
Today's Story

Is Jesus Worth Dying For?

This story will give you chills and is one of the most inspiring and moving we've ever shared. Please read it all.

As Cassie entered the ninth grade, her mom Misty just "had that gut feeling that something was wrong. I couldn't pinpoint it, but I just knew something was wrong. I didn't feel like either I nor my husband had any connection with her."

Desperate for answers, Misty began to search Cassie's room regularly, and on one occasion was shocked to discover evidence that her daughter had developed an interest in witchcraft, drugs and alcohol. Facing the trauma of how to deal with their troubled teen, Cassie's parents decided that the only way to stop their daughter from making more bad decisions was to make a few good choices for her.

So, they began making changes. For starters, they transferred Cassie to a new school-Columbine High School, in suburban Littleton, Colorado. They also kept closer tabs on her friends, her attitudes, and her study habits. In general, they put their foot down, and said, "Cassie, it stops here. You must now choose to take responsibility for your life."

Cassie began to respond - positively...new friends, new attitudes. One of the new friends was Dave McPherson, youth pastor at West Bowles Community Church. McPherson admitted to the Denver Post that, when he first saw Cassie, he thought to himself, "There's no hope for that girl. Not our kind of hope." The joyless look on her face, the monosyllabic speech which came from her lips -- all of it suggested that perhaps Cassie was just "too far gone."

One weekend, though, McPherson encouraged Cassie to accompany the church youth on retreat, and, with her parents' enthusiastic permission, she agreed. That weekend which changed Cassie's life. Said Brad, her father, "When she left, she was this gloomy, head-down, say-nothing youth. When she came back, her eyes were open and bright and she was bouncy and just excited about what had happened to her and was just so excited to tell us. It was like she was in a dark room, and somebody turned the light on, and she saw the beauty that was surrounding her." Said Misty, "She looked at me in the eye and she said, "Mom, I've changed. I've totally changed. I know you're not going to believe it, but I'll prove it to you.'"

The "light" that had been turned on in 17-year-old Cassie's life was the light of the Lord Jesus Christ, whom she had trusted as her personal Lord and Savior at that church retreat. Jesus changed Cassie-from the inside out. A deep-down, 100-percent kind of transformation, like Paul spoke of in Romans 12:2 when he exhorted us, "be transformed by the renewing of your minds!" Gone was the preoccupation with the occult; instead, Cassie began to spend her spare time, along with her new Christian friends, ministering at Denver's inner-city Victoria Outreach Church, serving dinner to prostitutes and drug addicts as part of that church's mission ministry. Cassie even planned to cut off her cornsilk-colored hair that hung halfway down her back, so that it could be given to "someone who makes wigs for kids who are going through chemotherepy," according to her aunt, Kayleen.

One night, Cassie spoke of her newfound hope for the future with her mom. She said, "Mom, it would be OK if I died. I'd be in a better place, and you know where I'd be." The same girl who, just a couple years before, had been spinning on the edge, in danger of falling into hopelessness. Jesus change her-she was living life sacrificially in Jesus' name, and she was ready to die as a child of the Lord Jesus.

On Sunday night, April 18, Cassie stood up and gave her testimony to her youth group at church. She told them, "You really can't live without Christ. It's, like, impossible to really have a really true life without Him." Cassie was ready. With her life-and with death, if necessary.

Two days after that, Cassie was sitting in the library of Columbine High School when Eric Harris and Dylan Kelbold burst in with homemade pipe-bombs and guns. They knew who she was; she'd made no secret of her newfound faith.

The Bible stacked on top of her textbooks, along with the WWJD ("What Would Jesus Do?") bracelet around her wrist, clearly marked Cassie as one of the "Christians" of Columbine High.

"Do you believe in God?" was the question which was posed to her by that young member of the self-proclaimed "Trenchcoat Mofia." Her friend, Keven Koeniger, later said that Cassie paused for a long moment. He said, "I think she knew she was going to die."

Finally, the response came: "Yes, I believe in God." The trigger was pulled.

You think the question, "Are you ready to die for Jesus?" isn't an urgent one? Just ask Cassie Bernall. Ask her parents. Misty and Brad said, "We looked at each other and we said, 'Would I have done that? I would have begged for my life!' She didn't.

Cassie Bernall's brother Chris found this poem on her desk. It was the last poem she wrote before she died.

"Now I have given up on everything else.
I have found it to be the only way
To really know Christ
And to experience the Mighty power
That brought Him back to life again
And to find out what it means
to suffer and die with Him.
So, whatever it takes
I will be one who lives
In the fresh newness of life
Of those who are alive from the dead"

Is your Jesus worth dying for?

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Fri Mar 2, '12 7:12am PST 
Today's Story

With Jesus, I Am Rich

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy, 12, and my older sister Darlene, 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was to do without many things. My dad had died 5 years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946 my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home.

A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat for everyone we could. For 15 cents, we could buy enough cotton loops to make three pot holders to sell for $1. We make $20 on pot holders.

That month was one of the best of our lives. Every day we counted the money to see how much we had saved. At night we'd sit in the dark and talk about how the poor family was going to enjoy having the money the church would give them. We had about 80 people in church, so we figured that whatever amount of money we had to give, the offering would surely be 20 times that much. After all, every Sunday the Pastor had reminded everyone to save for the sacrificial offering.

The day before Easter, Ocy and I walked to the grocery store and got the manager to give us three crisp $20 bills and one $10 bill for all our change. We ran all the way home to show Mom and Darlene. We had never had so much money before. That night we were so excited we could hardly sleep. We didn't care that we wouldn't have new clothes for Easter; we had $70 for the sacrificial offering. We could hardly wait to get to church!

On Sunday morning, rain was pouring. We didn't own an umbrella, and the church was over a mile from our home, but it didn't seem to matter how wet we got. Darlene had cardboard in her shoes to fill the holes. The cardboard came apart, and her feet got wet. But we sat in church proudly. I heard some teenagers talking about the Smith girls having on their old dresses. I looked at them in their new clothes, and I felt so rich.

When the sacrificial offering was taken, we were sitting on the second row from the front. Mom put in the $10 bill, and each of us girls put in a $20. As we walked home after church, we sang all the way. At lunch Mom had a surprise for us. She had bought a dozen eggs, and we had boiled Easter eggs with our fried potatoes! Late that afternoon the minister drove up in his car. Mom went to the door, talked with him for a moment, and then came back with an envelope in her hand. We asked what it was, but she didn't say a word. She opened the envelope and out fell a bunch of money. There were three crisp $20 bills, one $10 and seventeen $1 bills. Mom put the money back in the envelope. We didn't talk, just sat and stared at the floor. We had gone from feeling like millionaires to feeling like poor white trash.

We kids had had such a happy life that we felt sorry for anyone who didn't have our mom and dad for parents and a house full of brothers and sisters and other kids visiting constantly. We thought it was fun to share silverware and see whether we got the fork or the spoon that night. We had two knives which we passed around to whoever needed them. I knew we didn't have a lot of things that other people had, but I'd never thought we were poor. That Easter Day I found out we were.

The minister had brought us the money for the poor family, so we must be poor. I didn't like being poor. I looked at my dress and worn-out shoes and felt so ashamed that I didn't want to go back to church. Everyone there probably already knew we were poor! I thought about school. I was in the ninth grade and at the top of my class of over 100 students. I wondered if the kids at school knew we were poor. I decided I could quit school since I had finished the eighth grade. That was all the law required at that time.

We sat in silence for a long time. Then it got dark, and we went to bed. All that week, we girls went to school and came home, and no one talked much. Finally on Saturday, Mom asked us what we wanted to do with the money. What did poor people do with money? We didn't know. We'd never known we were poor. We didn't want to go to church on Sunday, but Mom said we had to. Although it was a sunny day, we didn't talk on the way.

Mom started to sing, but no one joined in and she only sang one verse. At church we had a missionary speaker. He talked about how churches in Africa made buildings out of sun-dried bricks, but they need money to buy roofs. He said $100 would put a roof on a church. The minister said, "Can't we all sacrifice to help these poor people?"

We looked at each other and smiled for the first time in a week. Mom reached into her purse and pulled out the envelope. She passed it to Darlene. Darlene gave it to me, and I handed it to Ocy. Ocy put it in the offering. When the offering was counted, the minister announced that it was a little over $100. The missionary was excited. He hadn't expected such a large offering from our small church. He said, "You must have some rich people in this church." Suddenly it struck us! We had given $87 of that "little over $100." We were the rich family in the church! Hadn't the missionary said so? From that day on I've never been poor again. I've always remembered how rich I am because I have Jesus.

BENNY

OH, NO YOU DONT- .

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 5:14am PST 
YESSSSS ! cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 7:54am PST 
God Sees
=========

The MountainWings Moment, "He Was Heard," produced quite a few
responses and ratings. All of them said the same thing.
The prayers of a child are heard and they needed that prayer.
He Was Heard > http://www.mountainwings.com/past/3006.htm

That was the fifth issue about Josees, the others are:
The Power of A Smile> http://www.mountainwings.com/past/2094.htm
Prayers Again > http://www.mountainwings.com/past/2261.htm
Pick Thee Me Up > http://www.mountainwings.com/past/2087.htm
Half A Sugar > http://www.mountainwings.com/past/1212.htm

Josees is an unusual name. It was no accident.

"Jose" is a common Hispanic name that means "blessed."
"Joses" in the Biblical sense is equivalent to Joseph,
it means "to add or augment."

I thought he was a girl. I had been hearing in prayer a name
for the child still in the womb. What I thought I heard was
Josie, a girl's name. We later found out through a sonogram the
child was male; so much for Josie.

During a revival at my church, The ARK of Salvation, my brother
Dale was preaching. He was preaching from the 13th chapter of
Matthew on the parable of the sower and the seed. God spoke to
me as I sat on the front row, "Look in the chapter that your
brother is preaching from and there you will find the name of
the child in the womb."

There were six male names in the 13th chapter of Matthew:
Jesus, Esaias, James, Joses, Simon and Judas.

Instantly I knew. It wasn't Josie that I heard, it was Joses!
It is pronounced "Joe Sees" so I changed the spelling by adding
an extra "e" to make sure it would be pronounced as it read.

"Jo" means God. Although there is no "J" in the Hebrew
alphabet, the Jo prefix relates to God.

(Jo)sees means from the Hebrew and English, "God Sees."

Remember that along with Josees prayer for you.

God sees.

No matter what, God sees.

Yes, there is much trouble and turmoil in the world,
in the U.S., internationally and maybe in your personal world.

God sees.

Yes, we wonder how can God let certain things happen,
the murders, the injustice, the war, the starvation, the
disease, the death of good people, how?

God sees.

Remember, "...we see through a glass darkly." Even the best men
with the greatest prophetic gifts and the greatest wisdom
only see through a glass darkly.

But

God sees

Maybe God gave Josees a brief glimpse through the dark glass to
see ...maybe that's why he prayed for you.

God sees

....and the little boy named "God Sees" prayed for YOU.

Read Josees' prayer for you again,
He Was Heard > http://www.mountainwings.com/past/3006.htm

~A MountainWings Original~

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 7:52am PST 
An Inch
========

In today's technological age, we often hear about the wide
stretches of the Internet. We are used to telescopes making
discoveries in distant planets. How often do you hear about the
power of an inch?

That's right just an inch.

I talked with one of my friends yesterday who is staying in
another country. Even though it sounded like he was only a few
feet away through the phone, the sound was actually traveling
thousands of miles. That's technology and that's impressive.
But I've also been impressed lately by the power of an inch.

You are probably saying now "What do you keep talking about the
power of an inch, an inch doesn't have any power."

I'm talking about the inch that two muscles of each side of your
mouth moves when you smile. It takes tens of muscles to frown
but only two to smile. This is a power that every person can
wield no matter what economic level they are or how much
technology they have.

I began to notice the power when going through checkout lines.
If I smiled when I got up to the register, it made the cashiers
smile even though they had customer after customer to ring up.

Most of the people probably didn't even consciously notice they
were smiling. It was as if my mouth moving a inch on each side
made some kind of unconscious knee jerk kind of reflex happen in
their brains. Without using hypnosis or offering people money,
you could get people to respond.

You never know what one smile can do to a person's day.

Imagine a homeless person on the street sitting on a corner with
dirty clothes on and everybody passing by not wanting to even
look at them because they are afraid of what they might beg for.

Now imagine what it would do for that same person if someone
looked them straight in the eyes and gave them a big genuine
smile and actually spoke to them first and said "Good afternoon,
it's good to see you today."

Sometimes work beats us down so much that by the time we get
home our children may not see a smile the entire evening.

In some marriages, smiles even among spouses have gone the way
of the retired practice of opening a car door during dating. As
I even thought about it, a smile and knowledge are two of the
only things in life that you can give away and have no less for
yourself.

As you go through the day, pay attention to how your facial
muscles feel when speak to people in passing. Then try to begin
with a smile when you speak to people and notice the difference
in their response to you.

We traditionally think we are supposed to smile when we are
happy. Maybe the reverse is true too; try looking at yourself
in the mirror then give yourself the biggest smile. Now notice
how the hormonal response of your brain affects the way you
feel. When you smile at yourself in the mirror, do you feel
happier, the same, or more sad? Now, imagine what others will
feel if you can make yourself feel happier.

Just when you may have thought you had nothing or couldn't
afford to give anything, give a smile.

Give them an inch and they will take a smile.

~A MountainWings Original by James Bronner~

Hershey

When you're- chocolate, life- is sweet!

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 8:38pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplause These are great, Dayzee! Thanks fur sharing them!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7