Understanding Pet Insurance

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Molly

Snoopy was a- Beagle

Purred: Thu Mar 5, '09 12:46pm PST 
dog This is the place to post all your general questions or knowledge about pet insurance.

Edited by author Thu Mar 5, '09 1:23pm PST

Alice

I like- chillaxing

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 10:16am PST 
Hi all. I am a 9-year old healthy cat and my parents are thinking about getting pet insurance for me. I am wondering how the options are different for an "older" cat...

Goldie

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 10:38am PST 
Welcome Alice! The biggest problems that you might run into as an, ahem, senior kitty are pre-exsiting conditions. All pet insurance companies that I'm aware of do not cover any conditions that existed before you got the insurance. But, if you are lucky enough to have kept healthy - then you should be in pretty good shape!

And even if you have had some problems, pet insurance would still cover new illnesses, and any accidents that come up.

Petunia

woof woof- scratch scratch

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 11:44am PST 
Here's a couple common questions that come up in relation to pet insurance:

Can I choose my own vet?
Is it a hassle?
Is it really expensive?

Goldie

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 2:20pm PST 
Hi Petunia,

I'm happy to see you seem interested in pet insurance. With most pet insurance companies you can choose whichever licensed veterinarian that you like. You are required to pay the bill yourself, then you would get reimbursed by the insurance company.

Is it a hassle? Well that's really a matter of opinion. Some people have had really good experience with pet insurance companies, and some haven't. You can see more opinions on pet insurance in the Pet insurance blog that my mom writes.

Expense is also a matter of opinion. However, I will tell you that plans can range from about $10-$100 depending on the breed, age, company and plan that you go with. Trupanion runs about $15-20 for cats and $20-40 for dogs. Trupanion only offers one plan that covers both accidents and illnesses, but you can change your premium cost by adjusting your deductible. Hope this helps!

Alice

I like- chillaxing

Purred: Thu Apr 9, '09 12:40pm PST 
Hi Goldie - thanks for your response. As a follow up question, I am wondering what the process is for insurance companies identifying pre-existing conditions? I am unfamiliar with how any of this works. I am a very healthy kitty, no trips to the Vet in more than 2 years! cheer

Goldie

Purred: Fri Apr 10, '09 12:34pm PST 
Hello Again Alice,

Some pet insurance companies will require that you take a trip to see your vet to get a healthy seal of approval, while others will go off your veterinary records. If you're a healthy kitty, chances are you won't have problems getting incidents/conditions covered if you were to become insured.

Tinker Bell- Forever

I love cookies!

Purred: Sun Apr 12, '09 9:42pm PST 
Oh, I wish all insurance companies would just review our medical records instead of needing a routine exam.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but that is just more money my mom has to spend. The amount of a vet exam is about the same as a one month payment for my insurance. I also have a little sister, who would need an exam, so that would be twice as much money to enroll.frown

Ridley

I'm OK, you're- OK.

Purred: Tue Apr 14, '09 12:02pm PST 
I am one of three cats -- the oldest, at age 2 1/2, and the most brilliant and beautiful, of course. We all go to the vet at least twice a year. (Our Food Lady must like it there, although we don't. It actually makes my fur fall off.) We are all healthy, thank goodness, but since the Food Lady has a habit of taking us to the vet, she needs to know where to begin comparing insurance plans. I am the only girl and have two "brothers," ages 1 1/2 and almost 1. Everybody already has been fixed, but we get our teeth cleaned and get blood workups and shots if needed once a year, with an extra checkup every six months. What kind of plan is best for us and can we hope for a group discount? (If it were left up to me, the cat carriers would stay in the garage, and we would say Thanks, but no thanks to all this, but the Food Lady can be very pushy...)

Tinker Bell- Forever

I love cookies!

Purred: Tue Apr 14, '09 4:18pm PST 
Hi, Ridley! You are very pretty! My mom has been researching pet insurance for me recently.

Here are a couple of links your Food Lady might find helpful to start her search. The first link is actually from the Trupanion site advertised here on dogster. They have a lot of information on their site and a great comparison chart, too. Here is the link: http://www.trupanion.com After you fill out the information for a quote, it will show you a new page where you can see your quote, and click on a "view detailed comparison" button. That will then take you to a new page where you can compare Trupanion with many other insurance companies one by one.

Another helpful site is http://www.petinsurancereview.com. It has a lot of information about pet insurance and best of all, ratings about various insurance companies by actual policyholders. That site also has direct links to pet insurance companies.

HTH! (edited to change clickable link, sorry it gave my personal information out)

Edited by author Tue Apr 14, '09 4:24pm PST

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2