Vas Info

Christmas(An- gel- Kitty)^PAWS^

Precious Kitty- taken by VAS

Purred: Mon Jan 5, '09 12:31pm PST 
My mommy found this while looking at other cats diary's and stuff about VAS... it's very informative and mommy agrees with it, so she posted it here..

Elliott Orange-- Thank you for letting us use dis!!! (Catster I D 338064)

Jules Vern prepares to go to the Bridge
July 17th 2007 6:02 am

This is a very sad day, and one that is completely unnecessary.

In honor of Jules' valient fight against vaccine-associated sarcoma (VAS), I want to give some important information that might save another cat from this aggressive, horrible condition.

VAS tumours are so aggressive, that even when they are completely removed, within days or weeks they come back again. We saw this first-hand with our beloved orange "Blockhead" - literally before he had healed from his surgery, the tumour was already regrowing beneath his stitches.

There are a number of things that can be done to increase survival chances:

1. the new American Veterinary Medicine Association guidelines are to give vaccinations in the rear flank. FeLV and Rabies are the two vaccines that are implicated in causing VAS, and these two, especially, should never be given between the shoulder blades, but always as low down on the rear leg as possible.

2. Request that the rabies vaccine be given at a separate time from other vaccines, combo vaccines stress the immune system and the chances for side-effects or developing VAS goes up.

3. Most states now require Rabies to be given only every three years - you can also request a titer test be done first to see if its needed, if the cat still has immunity, a booster is not needed.

4. FeLV and other vaccines are now recommended to not be given more than once every three years - if your vet is still giving yearly boosters - go to the AVMA site and print the recommendations and take them to your vet.

5. There are new vaccines available for Rabies and FeLV that do not have an adjuvant - which is the suspected cause of VAS. The new vaccines are modified-live instead of killed, and the one for FeLV is not injected into the bloodstream, both of which makes them safer.

6. There are many vaccines that are not necessary, especially for inside cats - do your research!
Humans don't get boosters every year or every few years, why should animals??

7. Read one of the good animal health books about the potential side effects of too many re-vaccinations: Richard Pitcairn's book, or Martin Goldstein's "The Nature of Animal Healing"

8. Purr for Jules Vern and his family - as this shoud NOT have happened, and they had no way of knowing the dangers since the vet never told them. I hope that another cat may learn something from Jules Vern's misfortune, so that something good can come out of this terrible loss of a wonderful, brilliant orange cat.

A very sad, frustrated, Elliott Orange

Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Mon Jan 5, '09 5:39pm PST 
Hi, Chrissy and Mojo ~
Mom finally got around to making me a page so that I can post for myself - with my thanks to Merlin for filling in until I got here.

There's really good information in your post, Chrissy, but I'd like to add one thing: always, always, ALWAYS ask for the ONE-YEAR rabies vaccine! Never, ever get the 3-year one; that's the one that has something called an "adjuvant," which is what enhances the immune response - and that's what can cause the tumor.

Mom asked for that when she called to make an appointment for my rabies shot after my leg had been amputated. The vet tech gave Mom an argument, saying that "it all comes from the same vial." It doesn't!!! Don't let anyone fool you! The vet tech got a bit testy, saying she'd never heard of that and she'd been a vet tech for 10 years. Mom retorted that the friend who'd explained this to her had been a practicing vet for almost 40 years; the tech backed off, saying she'd speak with the vet. When she returned to the phone, she admitted that the vet had known exactly what Mom had been saying.

So - 1-year rabies vaccine only! It's called Purevac, and it's made by Merial.

I'd hoped that, in the intervening years, this was no longer a problem; how sad that it still is.

Mojo, I wish you all the best; may your doctor be able to help you to stay with your mom for a while yet, but whenever you come here - I'll be here to meet you.

Purrs,
Morganna

Christmas(An- gel- Kitty)^PAWS^

Precious Kitty- taken by VAS

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '09 9:24am PST 
GREAT Point Morganna...

Luckily mommy has a great Vet for sissy dat will only give her dat one shot-- mommy is even afraid to get her dat... frown

Sad how they know what makes us sick and it's still available!! frown frown