Veggie Tails!!!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Liwanu "Mack"

Must find the- wabbit!!

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 1:16pm PST 
I live on the Eastern Shore in Pocomoke City MD. That puts me in 7 according to the fruit tree book (I love fruit trees). I can't grow anything yet but soon I hope to get a nice little garden ready for next year. I found a place where I can get nice, dark soil with a smell to die for and I'm going to lug it home a bucket at a timebig grin Growing things can be hard around here sometimes because a ton of area is swamp land that's been filled. It floods something horrible.

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 1:42pm PST 
Mack I'm from Baltimore! (Kolbe's mom... not Kolbe). I live in Buffalo NY now though, and I have no idea what zone it is. It would probably be a good idea to find out...

This year I'll be planting herbs again because they did so well last year, and will be giving veggies a try for the first time too. I think I'll be doing a raised bed this time.

We also have an apple tree in the yard that is currently blossoming flowers. Last year it started producing small inedible apples at the end of May and then produced larger apples throughout the summer. Unfortunately I haven't the slightest idea what they taste like because we had a massive (I'm talking thousands) yellow jacket infestation and they destroyed every single apple. I got some yellow jacket re-usable traps (the kind that you put a piece of raw meat and some sugar and juice into) to try and prevent the problem from occurring this year. It was like stepping into a stinging war zone every time you wanted to hang out in the yard. confused

Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 2:22pm PST 
Ooh - I forgot - we got a cherry tree this year. I'm blanking on the type, but its a tart type - good for pies. I can't wait!

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 10:25pm PST 
Hi guys!

I live in Chicago (Zone 5.) We haven't planted anything yet this year but I have a few seedlings waiting to go in- a few tomatoes, 2 eggplant, rosemary and basil, maybe one pepper...

We usually grow:
Veggies- Tomato, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, beans, cucumber
Herbs- Rosemary, basil, lemon balm, garlic chives, thyme, oregano, parsley, catnip, dill

Plus I have a bed of strawberry plants.

If anyone has any ideas of other good veggies to plant for Zone 5 I'd love to hear it! In addition to our usual, I am hoping to grow some carrots this year and possibly some cantalope or pumpkin but I'd love to hear more ideas! I'd like to add a few fruit trees to the yard as well this summer, maybe a pair of dwarf cherry trees. I tried to plant cherry bushes (called sand cherry or Hansen's cherry) last year that I ordered from a catalog but they did not grow.

Dingo a.k.a.- Miracle Dog

Help save our- furry friends in- the South

Purred: Sun May 11, '08 3:23pm PST 
My name is Dingo and i'm an ocra hater! Zep, thanks so much for putting this group together! We live in Southern California. I do not have a garden but i do grow stuff in pots on my balcony. Currently, i have herbs and argula. The argula grows like crazy! I put the seeds straight into the soil. Within a week i start to see little sprouts. I think its been like a month and i'm already onto my second round of them. I'm going to start tomatos and peppers this year. I've done it in the past but stopped because of fruit flies, but thanks to Zep's advice i'm giving it another try! I'd be interested in hearing what others have had success with growing in pots and figuring out what this raised garden talk is all about.

Mattie

Say no to B.O.!

Purred: Fri Jun 6, '08 11:39am PST 
Hi All!

Okra lover here!(sliced and coated with cornmeal and flour and fried, served with white beans, yumsmile ) I'm in N. Illinois, close to the Wisconsin border. I'm right in the zone 4 that dips down into Il.

I've been gardening for yrs, I've loved it since I was young. I practically grew up in a greenhouse, my grandparents owned one till they retired and I have pictures of myself as a baby in an infant seat on a potting bench while my mom transplanted tomatoes and the like. I always had my own little patch in my mom's garden when I was a kiddie, and have had my own veggie gardens for about 20 yrs. I like to enter the Fair every couple of years, and have had a lot of fun doing that. I grow all my own veggie starts, unless groundhogs mow something to the ground and I have to replace, or just see something good that I didn't grow. I also like to flower garden. I'm a daylily fanatic, and I like to play around with diploid crosses.

I do small scale farmers markets besides my own canning and freezing, and I have a couple gardens. The main one is 75x80. Then I have a smaller one 42x30 filled partly with a perennial herb section, plus asparagus, raspberries, a few strawberries, rhubarb, topset onions, and daylily seedlings that I'm growing out, the rest plowed to take any overflow that I didn't have room for in the other garden. Part of it is in cover crop rotation this year.

This yrs garden: This year I put in 80 tomato plants. I wish I liked the taste of tomatoes since i grow so many nifty ones every yr, but sadly I don't. I do like sauces though. A variety of heirlooms that I save seed from yearly, plus hybrids so I have a bigger quantity to sell since some of the heirlooms put out a little sparsely. 10 varieties this year, slicers, paste, cherry and grape varieties. I've had 20+ varieties at a time, but I'm doing a heavy bean/pea yr for crop rotation, so the tomatoes are on a smaller scale this yr.
I love growing potatoes and always put in a couple doz different varieties, this yr about 35 lbs went in. A lot of varieties of peppers, eggplants, 5 different bush beans, 3 of pole beans, 10+ lettuces, mesclun mixes, summer squashes- yellow crookneck, pattypans, several dif zucchini, beets, carrots, fennel bulbs, cantaloupe, winter squashes- this yr its buttercup and acorn, pumpkins, cucumbers picklers and slicers, onions, peas, okra, radishes, spinach, turnips, annual herbs- basil, parsley, dills.
When it gets too hot for the greens and they start bolting i put in fall crops in their spots- brussel sprouts, kales, and second crops of carrots, beets, lettuces etc.

I grow most things in raised wide beds that I just form with a rake and hoe. Most of the beds are 3-4 ft wide and 15-20 feet long.

Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Purred: Tue Jun 10, '08 11:08am PST 
holy crap Mattie. i bow to you. where's the bowing emoticon? where's the utterly amazed, fascinated, and idolizing emoticon? i am so impressed. i aspire to garden like you one day.

we got so much rain here in kentucky this spring, i was late getting my stuff out...it wouldn't quit raining, and on the days it did decide not to pour all day, the ground was entirely too wet to try and run a tiller through. so i was late getting my broccoli and cabbage out...and they stayed in small starting pots for too long and it stunted their growth. so now, by the time they actually start flowering, it won't be any good because the heat will have turned everything bitter. i am sad about that...but, at least i'll have another chance at a fall crop!

everything else here is really starting to take off now that we've gotten some good, hot weather. the weeds are growing like crazy, too!!!

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Purred: Tue Jun 10, '08 5:03pm PST 
I'm in western Canada. We've been living in Calgary, Alberta for the last 3.5 years, but we're moving to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan at the end of the month. Can you say short growing season!? laugh out loud

I gotta run, but I'll try to remember to come back and give y'all a little more background on our gardening and future plans. This group is awesome!

big grin

Mattie

Say no to B.O.!

Purred: Tue Jul 8, '08 7:06pm PST 
I got my garden in a couple weeks late too because of rain, Zepp. We rent a tractor every spring, since it would take waaaay too long to rototiller everything, and everybody wanted the tractor on the same one dry weekend we had. My hubby actually ended up taking a half day off work to plow it in the middle of the week when I started getting worried it was getting too late to wait for another dry weekend.

Meridian, The last time we moved wore me out! We had to rent a farmhouse for a couple months between selling our old place and closing on this place. I had over 2oo perennials that I insisted I had to bring with me, pieces of my favorite daylilies, lots of oriental and asiatic lilies and peonies, and plants I had gotten from my grandmother and great grandmothers yards. My hubby thought I was crazy (but he didn't know what I had paid for some of those plants, lol.)
I first moved all of them to the rental place. Luckily the landlord said as long as I replanted his grass I could dig up the yard. So I plowed up a garden patch, and just put everything out in rows. A couple months later, it all got moved again to the new place. I pretty much don't ever want to do that again!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2