Fiction

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4  
Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Mon Apr 13, '09 6:55pm PST 
Here is a fun book!

It is The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt. The setting is during the Vietnam War and it is the story of Holling Hoodhood, a seventh grader. He is the funniest kid. He has all these difficulties with life, mainly stemming from the expectations of the adults around him, but he never rebels! Usually in coming-of-age stories, the kids are rebellious, but Holling just goes along, trying to do his best, and some really wonderful things happen for him along the way.

I am only about halfway through it, so there may be some tears along with the humor, but it is really a very good book! It is a Newbery Honor book. Maybe not quite as good as The Graveyard Book, but close!

Your friend,
Kingsley

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Tue Aug 18, '09 9:53pm PST 
We just finished The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks for our bookclub.

It was very interesting and loosely based on a real book. The main character, Hannah, is a book conservator who is called in to work on an ancient Jewish illuminated book. She traces back the book's history by interpreting the tiny clues caught in the book's binding and staining its pages.

We liked her book Year of Wonders better (except for the STUPID ending), but we liked this one too, especially the story of Hannah.

Your friends,
Luna & Kingsley

Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 7:33pm PST 
Has anyone read The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton? We got the book, but we cannot remember why. Must have come highly recommended from somewhere!

We are supposed to be reading Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James for our book club, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Your friends,
Luna, Kingsley, RJ & Minerva

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 3:51pm PST 
Reading "Flight Behavior" by Barbara Kingsolver. It's awesome, but it's no "Poisonwood Bible". I believe everyone should enjoy PB, But I think not everyone would enjoy FB, it's a little tedious.kitty

Minerva

I am safe and- happy now!

Purred: Sun Mar 17, '13 2:02pm PST 
We just finished The Art Forger by Shapiro (we think). It is a REAL page turner with a heroine who couldn't recognize a good choice if it walked up and BIT her! It is fiction based on the famous heist at the Isabelle Stuart Gardner Museum in Boston. A fun read!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4