URGENT Information for Pet Owners!

Pandora (In- Loving- Memory)

Little Kitty- Love

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '07 11:06pm PST 
URGENT Information for Pet Owners: Pet Food Recall

Several brands of premium pet foods, in specific canned and small foiled pouch packaged varieties, were recalled by Canadian manufacturer MENU FOODS on March 16th 2007. MENU FOODS is one of North America’s largest pet-food suppliers. In announcing the North American recall, MENU FOODS admitted that an unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet foods (produced between December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007). Unfortunately, these products were distributed all over North America. frown

The tragic deaths of several cats and dogs, in the United States, occurred after consuming wet food from a variety of no-name brands and name brand premium products produced by MENU FOODS. Some of the tainted products - packaged in cans and foiled packets - were sold through Safeway and WAL-MART’s house brands. While no cases have been reported yet in Canada, this premium cat and dog food might be on the shelves of your local grocery store, reputable pet shops, or already in your home. I was alarmed to hear “Eukanuba” and “IAMS” brand wet foods are also produced by this manufacturer; check out their websites for detailed information. I’m going to post articles and press releases from these companies too.

Please check the brand links below for the individual product’s serial numbers and production dates. You might save your pet’s life, so check the pet food in your home and distribute this information to your fellow pet lovers. Thank you for your attention to this serious matter.

Sincerely,

Mickey & Pandora’s human
kitty

From the MENU FOODS Company Website:
Premium Pet Food - Recall Information
[source: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html]

Press Release
1. Menu Foods Recall (March 16, 2007)
link: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf

Product Information
1. Recalled Cat Product Information (March 16, 2007)
link: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
2. Recalled Dog Product Information (March 16, 2007)
link: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Please see this BLOG entry for very detailed information from MENU FOODS on the recalled products and collected press releases:

article: “MENU FOODS Pet Food Recall Info”

Blog URL: http://blog.myspace.com/onejazzkat

Edited by author Mon Mar 19, '07 2:52pm PST

Little Kitty- Love

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '07 3:03pm PST 
My human went to her local "Provigo" grocery store to check out if the "President's Choice" "IAMS" and "Eukanuba" in canned and small foil packets of wet food were still on the shelves. To her disappointment, they were. shock

Without the serial listings in hand (from each company’s link), it was hard to determine if they were from the batches of tainted food in question. She's going to post her letter (from her BLOG) in the Supermarket bulletin board. She will also speak to the manager of the store, and provide print outs of the codes of the products that were recalled and look on the shelves to see if the wet food in stock is safe.

I'd suggest your humans do the same in a polite manner. smile

Little Kitty- Love

Purred: Fri Mar 23, '07 7:19pm PST 
My dear friends,

As many of you, I'm pretty worried about this issue. I can understand your thinking, but the problem is worse than a malicious human poisoning pet food.

The source of the problem has been linked to a new (and discontinued) supplier of wheat gluten that had been shipped from China. This type of rat poison is illegal in North America, but it is used in other parts of the world, where it is used to kill rodents among the crops.

The grain is labelled for human consumption or animal consumption; but less than %2 of grain produced overseas is examined carefully. Companies in North America often rely on the producers to check the product overseas -- when North American companies should be triple checking the ingredients for quality before it even makes it into the recipe.

To make matters worse, the regulation of animal food isn't as strict in Canada as it is for humans, and I think the same goes for Amercian food manufacturers. This includes "natural foods" as well.

My heart goes out to all the families affected.

Purrs & headbutts,

Pandora

Cole (Always- Loved)

Mommy's angel

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '07 3:40pm PST 
Thanks for the information pandora! You haven't heard of the Purina dry food being contaminated have you? Mommy has been researching it today but couldn't find anything. She was worried cause I had thrown up a few times today, but I've been resting and see to be doing okay otherwise and have stopped throwing up, so guess it was nothing to worry about.

dancing

Little Kitty- Love

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '07 3:44pm PST 
Hi Cole,

None of the dry foods were affected. Subsequent recalls of wet foods were precautionary to make sure that all the bad stock would be removed, but I doubt that all stores will comply.

To all you kitties: Just eat dry foods since the canned food isn't that good for your teeth, anyway. (Though it makes for a yummy treat from time to time!) I wouldn't trust canned food or "cuts & gravy" foil packets for a little while. If you have some left in your house, check the website for serial numbers to see if it's from the tainted batch, or throw it out just to be safe.

Thanks for spreading the word. smile

Little Kitty- Love

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '07 3:46pm PST 
Oh Cole,

Sorry you're not feeling well. Try some "Femalt" hairball remedy...sounds like you might have hairballs.

Purrs,

Pandora