When did you adopt your pet?

Callie

Callie Cal Cal

Purred: Sun Dec 10, '06 9:22pm PST 
And how was your experience with the shelter?
What made you choose who you chose?
I volunteer with the shelter and always wonder how things turn out. smile

Denali

Purred: Tue Dec 19, '06 9:00am PST 
I was adopted in July 2005. My mom said she had seen my picture on Petfinder. That was a good picture of me. I had a red bandana on and a big smile. The picture of me on the OKC shelter site wasn't very good so I'm glad she saw the other picture of me. In addition to my photo, my mom liked the description of me that one of the people at the shelter had written.

When my mom came to see me for the first time, I was scared so I huddled in the back of my cage. I had been there for a month after being surrendered and nobody else had wanted to see me. When my mom opened the cage door, I didn't move so she reached in to get me. I had had a bad experience with most people I met so I didn't want to take any chances.

She immediatly adopted me and took me to get a bath while she went back to work (she had come on her lunch break). After work, she picked me back up and took me home. That is where I met Diki, her other dog. Diki was great and we bonded and began playing immediately! She is like a doggy mom to me. I was really lucky to get such a nice place to live.

It took several months until I felt safe enough to approach my human mom, but I finally figured out that she is OK. I've even got brave enough to let strangers pet me.

Though I still get scared sometimes of people I don't know, I'm getting much better. This past October I almost died from idiopathic chylothorax when lymph fluid began leaking into my lungs so it became hard to breathe. Luckily my human mom is a respiratory therapist and noticed right away - before even the vet could recognize the problem - and I had an experimental surgery a couple of weeks later by a good vet at a surgical hospital here.

Most people didn't want to adopt me since I was so scared of people and most people wouldn't have noticed when I was having those breathing problems, so I'm grateful to end up where I did. My human mom says I really good for Diki since we love to play together.

Denali

Emy

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '07 5:06pm PST 
I was adopted four days before Christmas in 2003....my parents had seen me the week before, but hadn't moved into their home yet...when they came back hoping to adopt me, I had been adopted by a different family! They left that day without a dog, they had their hearts set on me....luckily, the next weekend they came back--they found me!! The people who had adopted me returned me because I had a bad case of diarrhea and wasn't potty trained yet!! My parents found me in the red alert (?) section and agreed to adopt me when I was cleared by a vet! They told my mom and dad it would be about a week, but I sped things up a bit and they got to pick me up the next day.....as it turned out, my nasty diarrhea was actually parvo! I guess I had been exposed at my first owner's home. It's okay though, my mom and dad took me to the vet and it was pretty shaky, but I made it through! They laugh about it today....what first sent them to the shelter was the price of a purebred labrador...they decided that for a more reasonable price, they could find a puppy that was just as loveable...actually, after the parvo bill, they got a puppy for the SAME price, but that they say is much better than any other dog they could have gotten from a breeder!!!

Callie

Callie Cal Cal

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '07 8:22pm PST 
PLUS you made room in a shelter for another animal. You're a HERO!! Thanks for adopting- number one choice.

PS, you're a gorgeous doggie!

Hank

Did you say- something?

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 3:37pm PST 
I was adopted this past August, after being at the shelter twice. I was taken from an abusive home, and found some caring people to take me home for few months...Unfortunately these folks had to move and could not take me with them so back to the shelter I went. Luckily I did not have to stay long! My new family was looking for a 4-legged friend for thier Husky Nikki who wasnt a cat ( I swear Nikki thought she was a cat when I first met her!) The folks at the shelter were awesome, and made sure my new mom knew that I was deaf and that means I can be a little harder to handle then the normal dog (or so they say). I love my new home and try my hardest to understand what to do, I have even learned what some of these funny hand signals mean! My mom was so proud of me when I learned how to sit and shake that I do it ALL the time just to see her smile dancing I just wanted to say thank you to anyone at the shelter who may see this and thank them for taking good care of me while I was there, my mom also says THANKS! for helping her find me

Skippy Lee

boss dog

Purred: Wed Jan 30, '08 5:06pm PST 
My mom was so lonely. Her fur babyFreeway had died a short time later of congestive heart problems. She was 14 when she died and mom was so lonely. When she came into look at the dog kids in the shelter, I was in the back looking and waiting for someone to take me home. I had a home once, but somehow I became seperated from it and ended up in the shelter. Whoever owned me before never came for me. cry Mom looked at me and I ran to the door of the cage and barked and barked at her. I think I intimidated her a little and she went on by. I was so sad. I had been here for a while and I didn't think I was ever going to get a home. I just knew she was going to take me, and she left. I was one sad little girl. red face About an hour later the little old fat lady returned with a new collar and leash and another lady who turned out to be her daughter. They opened my cage and got me out. Mom said she couldn't get me out of her mind after they left and she had to hurry back that day to get me because she thought I would be gone. I was so proud of myself in my new stuff and I barked and pranced and barked some more.dancing I got a new home and new family and I have been the reigning queen since I got there. Just as it should be for a little beagler who got a home. Next time I will tell you how my little adopted son Freddie came to live with us too. You know the very best fur babies in the whole world come from the shelter, so don't let anyone tell you any different. The shelter people are nice and they try to make us feel ok about being here, but as Dorothy says "There's no place like home....There's not place like home. Love to all of my fellow shelter friends and to those waiting to be adopted. Never give up hope, for maybe theres a mommie out there for you too. wave Love Skippycheer

Buddy

Ugh... I'm- Tired!!

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '08 6:08pm PST 
Shelter Dogs are the Best!! I love my new Home, and My daddy encourages everyone to adopt!! He even saved a puppy last week from getting hit by a car and took him to the pound and he found a new home!! Just like me!! Pound Puppies Rock!! Woof!!

Harmony

Happy and HYPER!

Purred: Thu Mar 8, '12 12:49pm PST 
My Parents came to the shelter where I was at to find a life-long friend, they where told that my siblings and I where previously at a backyard puppy mill. I told my siblings to make a big fuss when they where looking at us so that i could be the "good" one and they would take me home, I wanted them soooo bad. Luckily for me they fell for me and had the people at the shelter put a collar with a number around my neck so i could be found again when i was to be fixed and brought home. while playing with my siblings my collar came off and the worker had to call my new parents to find me again. after my spay surgery I was taken home and my parents took me to a vet because I got sick. turns out I had Kennel Cough! well my parents bought the pills and made me take them. a few months passed and I was getting bigger by the day and more destructive too. I got in trouble alot, but with patience (and LOTS of chew toys!) my parents got it through to me that clothes and power cables are not play things. i went to the vet to get all my puppy shots and then my face started getting really ichy and i got a bald patch right above my eye! my parents where worried and took me to the vet again, i have Demodectic mange. its cleared up and gone away but i have to be careful about not to get stressed out and to remain healthy or the vet said it might flare up again but i dont think it will im SUPER healthy now!

Harmony

Happy and HYPER!

Purred: Thu Mar 8, '12 12:55pm PST 
My Parents came to the shelter where I was at to find a life-long friend, they where told that my siblings and I where previously at a backyard puppy mill. I told my siblings to make a big fuss when they where looking at us so that i could be the "good" one and they would take me home, I wanted them soooo bad. Luckily for me they fell for me and had the people at the shelter put a collar with a number around my neck so i could be found again when i was to be fixed and brought home. while playing with my siblings my collar came off and the worker had to call my new parents to find me again. after my spay surgery I was taken home and my parents took me to a vet because I got sick. turns out I had Kennel Cough! well my parents bought the pills and made me take them. a few months passed and I was getting bigger by the day and more destructive too. I got in trouble alot, but with patience (and LOTS of chew toys!) my parents got it through to me that clothes and power cables are not play things. i went to the vet to get all my puppy shots and then my face started getting really ichy and i got a bald patch right above my eye! my parents where worried and took me to the vet again, i have Demodectic mange. its cleared up and gone away but i have to be careful about not to get stressed out and to remain healthy or the vet said it might flare up again but i dont think it will im SUPER healthy now!