Poopie Problems (Constipation, Diarrhea & Gas)

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 8:12pm PST 
Furts often have problems with constipation and diarrhea. This is a thread where you can share solutions that have worked and offer support for those that need it.

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 8:18pm PST 
A much-needed thread!
This works for me, I couldn't poop without this!
PROZYME Digestive Enzymes. I get 1/4 teaspoon in some wet food at dinnertime and in the morning, I'm good to go!

regular and happy about it!
Hazel Lucy

Calvin ~- Knead On

Knead On ~

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 8:37pm PST 
OMC - the Diary Gal would love this forum thread!

MOL!

shockred facehamster dance

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 8:46pm PST 
I'm an extreme case. We tried everything . . . extra fiber, pumpkin, enzymes & probiotics, metamucil, etc. The only thing that works for me is Lactulose.

It started with an emergency like Arnold P. is experiencing now where I screamed and vomited outside the litterbox and was rushed to the vet. I stayed at the vet all weekend and had 4 enemas to clean me out (enemas ain't no fun!). Two weeks later, despite adding extra fiber to my diet, I was back at the vet and had to stay another 2 days and get more enemas. At that point, my vet prescribed Lactulose. It took awhile and another enema to find the right dose, but we did. I need 4-5 ml of Lactulose a day or I can't poop.

Even so, sometimes I don't go for 2-3 days and then this monster-sized poop comes out of me! laugh out loud

Strangelove- (1988-2006)

Queen of the- cats!

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 9:44pm PST 
Lactulose also worked for me. I just needed 1ml twice a day to keep me regular after I had an emergency visit to the vet and an enema.

Arnold, it sounds like the vet also gave you an enema while you were there. In case the vet didn't warn your mum it will take a couple of days for you to poop again as its like one of those high colonic things where they clean EVERYTHING out. Mum was worried when I didn't poop for so long but it took a while for things to work their way through my system again. I hope you are feeling better now.

Sally Maria- (Mama's- Angel)

Mama's angel

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 10:16pm PST 
Poopie problems are serious business. I've always been a little on the constipated side (due to my IBD). All of a sudden, I started having random bouts of diarrhea. Then one awful day, mama discovered I couldn't poop at all and my barf had a very strong poopie smell. She took me to the vet who discovered I was VERY backed up and they were able to help me get all those poopies out of there. However, the reason for it all was that my IBD had finally made the transition to lymphoma. Mama and I don't want to scare anycat but poopie problems can be a symptom of something serious and shouldn't be ignored.

Now that I'm in remission, I am back to being a bit constipated on a regular basis. However, drinking lots of water (or eating lots of canned food) can help soften your poopies so they come out a little easier. Mama's only had to try pumpkin twice but each time I gobbled it up and it worked like a charm.

Purring for everycat's poopies,
Sally Maria

Taillee- *ILM*

Pet meeeee!!!!!

Purred: Sun Aug 9, '09 10:37pm PST 
I've read lots about older kitties being back up... but I'm the opposite. Mama's tried different things, but nothing fixes it. I went to the vet once and was given a shot and some medicine. I spent about the next week cooped up in the bathroom/hallway in the back of the house. My poor little tush was in a constant state of dribble... ~blush~ Some of the poopie had a soft form to it (first time in ages!) but I would cry like someone was pulling my teeth through my butt every time one like that happened. Mama would come sit with me and clean me (and the floor-what a mess!!), but she said she'd never let the vet give me whatever that shot was again! We've both come to live with the fact nothing gets out of my system without looking like pudding... mol!

I've tried the Prozyme like Hazel Lucy, but the only real difference for me was it reduced any odours... otherwise, no help.

Mama's tried several different kinds of grain-free, wheat gluten free, etc, etc foods without much success. Wellness turkey worked okay for several months... I finally gained a little weight but it didn't make a huge difference in consistency.

Now that I've laid out my poopie saga, I'll sign off with purrs that Arnold is home soon and HIS saga becomes a distant memory!

Edited by author Sun Aug 9, '09 10:39pm PST

Arnold P.- Sweetie Boy- Forever

Sweetie-boy

Purred: Tue Aug 11, '09 4:39pm PST 
Mom is adding pumpkin to my food and I like it OK. But how much should I get, and how often? I'm new at this problem... frown

Baci a Red- *Angel*

I AM Smiling!- It's the Red- Tabby Look

Purred: Tue Aug 11, '09 4:57pm PST 
Hey Arnie - my son GUIDO the Italian Kitty says you need more marinated sardines and Garlic in your dietlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Arnold P.- Sweetie Boy- Forever

Sweetie-boy

Purred: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:18pm PST 
Hazel Lucy, do you know how much pumpkin I should be eating? thinking

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6