feral population explosion in complex...few resources

new horizon- feral- squadron

homeless, except- in my heart...

Purred: Tue Aug 26, '08 10:34pm PST 
i live in a co-op in kalamazoo, michigan-it's called new horizon village, thus the name for the kitties i'm concerned about. we're not supposed to feed the ferals-i do anywaynaughty -and any traps i set (if i can get ahold of a hav-a-heart) would need to be set in the backyard. if i do manage to get a trap, i will no doubt capture any number of possums, skunks, badger-like creatures, moles, etc...unless somebody can tell me what to bait it with that won't appeal to these creatures...particularly the skunks, who absolutely adore cat food. that's one problem-even assuming i can get my hands on a trap.
the second problem is that my most pressing concern is for this little grey boy in the picture. i've taken to calling him "simon hedges" because he looks like a simonshrugand lives in the hedges in my front yard. problem is that he's in a bad place vis a vis traffic. we're a good piece by kitten-paw from a major road, but people roar by on this cul de sac like their shirts are on fire and their behinds are catching...we're all worried about the children, and some of us are worried about the animals.
if i could get him into my backyard, he'd be safer. i could also set a trap there-can't very well set out a trap in my front yard where it can be seen-we're all pretending the ferals don't exist, remember?
i'm not as concerned about the adult ferals who appear healthy...just wish something could be done, but it would take a massive TNR effort at this point. i have logistical problems just with keeping up with the kitties who hang around my house. this little guy used to have a mom that he hung with...but now appears to be on his own.cryhe shows up just after dusk and before dawn squeaking to be fed...he must think i'm the owner of the kitty cafe, i'm not sure. i do see him during the night at other times, but that is when he vocalizes the most. that crepescular thing? is that when his mom would hunt and then feed him?
he'll sniff my finger, but other than that he's still mr. untouchable. i'm moving his handful of kibble a little closer to me, a little at a time...he will now eat three feet away from me if i'm sitting down and still. his body language has relaxed a good bit. but from the way he leaps back when i move my whole hand toward him instead of extending one finger slowly-no way i can catch this little bugger. maybe if i threw a towel over him? but that would scare the poor baby, and if it didn't work the first time i'd probably never see him again...but like i said, i can't set a trap in the front, or (seriously) risk eviction.
i don't have a great deal of money, and i have a cat of my own that i'd rather not expose to whatever mr. simon hedges might be carrying...but if i could trap him and find him a crate equipped with litter box, hide box, etc the weather is still nice enough that he could stay on the back porch until i could...do whatever i need to do. if i get a job soon, i can afford to vet him along with my own kitten, and we'll just have another illegal cat. hey, what's one more? we're already two over what we're supposed to have because they changed the pet policy midstream...sigh.
i must do something soon. number one: get him to the backyard where he's safer. two: get a hav a hart trap and have a cage ready. three: is more nebulous...

ideas on number one?

Chili

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 5:09am PST 
What a beauty! I have a thing for white muzzled kitties!
Have you asked around at your local shelter or animal control to see if they lend out the Hav-A-Hart traps? Some of them here in FL. do.
Do you think that when you put him in your back yard that he'll stay there? He may not be going there due to other critters. Or he may be going there and you just don't see when he is back there.
Something you could try is to start moving his food closer to the area in which you want him to go. Feed him during the day so the night creatures (raccoons, etc) won't mess with him. Beware tho, raccoons will attack a cat, and are capable of killing cats.
Unless you are attached to the raccoons I would trap and remove them to another location or ask animal control to do it. I have nothing against raccoons, it's just that kitties are my 1st priority.
As far as helping him to trust you so you can touch him, etc. That takes ALOT of patience and time. You need to be there while he is feeding. He needs to know it is you that is sustaining him. And unfortunately kits don't believe us when we tell them. So, the best way to go about it is be near as he'll allow you to be while he is feeding. Slowly sit down closer to the feeding bowl .Depending on his temperament it could take days or weeks. Talk to him so he gets use to your voice. If you feel he won't bite you, you can grab a dab of wet food on your finger and allow him to lick it off. You may want to start with a spoon to see if he'll bite. (He may bite if he is use to grabbing a bite and running back a few feet to where he feels safe, eating it then coming back for more.)
DO NOT grab him with a towel or net. It will only deter him from trusting you. You always want to move slowly and predicable with him until he trusts you.
If you do trap him do get him vetted. And neutered ASAP. I personally 1st test for FIV/FeLeuk and if it comes back positive I have them put down. It sounds harsh. But if you have 1 Fiv/FeLeuk pos/pos feral in your area, they soon will all be pos/pos. It is extremely easily passed by food dishes, poops, fights, even licking. And either disease is a horrible, long, painful death.
I wish you all the best, and if you need anything please e-mail me!
ShiraBWild@aol.com
wishes

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 10:34am PST 
we're getting a cage, so he can be isolated if he is trapped...advertised online on "freecycle", someone has a dog kennel (indoor type) big enough for a litter box, dishes and a bed-they know this because they also used it for a kitty hotel, when theirs got pregnant.
his momcat is still around, actually...she appears to be living under the house while parking little grey simon under my hedges. that's at night...saw him running toward the gap under the house and her responding by coming out and nudging him back under the hedge. she hung out with him & me for awhile, then went back under the house. what on earth? is she leaving her baby on my doorstep? she actually let me pet her, and after that HE actually gave my finger the tiniest, most timid lick...progress? he'll eat calmly about three feet from me. for now i'm just going to see how close i can get his bowl to me, slowly. i'd love to feed him during the day...but i don't see him during the day. you almost never see any of the ferals during the day...i'm guessing momcat has him with her, whether under the house or some other daytime lair. he shows up just around sunset peeping for food regular as clockwork...but i've never seen him during the day. if i do see him during the day i'll be worried...that might mean his momcat is out of the picture.
so...getting the cage, calling around about a hav-a-heart trap (maybe i can get away with sticking it under the hedges? maybe no one will see and evict me? but i wonder how many skunks & possums i'll catch first...?). in the meantime just try to get as close as i can without scaring him? he seems to like the sound of my voice...likes it when i sing, which puts him in the minority. laugh out loudmy roommate suggested putting something that smells like me under his hedge so he'll get more used to how i smell, that it might make things easier...thoughts?

ChiliChipotl- eSamsonRedCh- eyenne

We are up for- adoption!

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 8:04pm PST 
Hiding the trap would be great. When I'm getting ready to trap a hard-to-trap- cat I leave the trap, locked closed, in the area well hidden so no one takes it. Then the cats have time to check out the foreign metal thing before they take that little walk inside of it. I cannot express it enough to put a big beach towel over the trap as soon as the cat's tripped the mechanism. It will calm them down immediately.
I use the dog cages to "show" my cats when they are up for adoption. A 3 X 4 ft one accommodates food, litter box, water and comfy space.
I have had mother and father cats seemingly drop their babies at my feet and then take off. Usually the kit was very, very ill tho. Dixie was one of those and he is now my sisters house cat.
You can put something out that smells of you. DO NOT take offense if the kits pee on it tho. I've had that happen! They are just giving you something that smells like them!
Keep me informed!
All the Best,
Shira

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 9:19pm PST 
i jumped the gun. simon was loving all over me when i went out to visit, so i just grabbed him. he was only minimally violent...and once i got him wrapped in a towel from my last shower he went...dormant is the best word for it.
he is now skulking/sulking in one of my bathrooms. he's not being mean, hissy or violent...just giving me dirty looks & "you ain't my friend no more" body language. he has a box with towel & food. a water bowl. an improvised litterbox. yeah, it's less than ideal. but i saw the opportunity & i grabbed it...was that wrong?
the cage should come in a few days, which will ease things. so far only one of our resident kitties seems to give a hoot, and she's the one who's sort of irritable on general principles. (shyloh)
haven't seen momcat since i took in simon...hours ago. wonder if she knows he's in here? if she starts desperately searching i'll feel bad...but...i'm torn between elation & my god, what have i done...shrug

Purred: Thu Aug 28, '08 3:13pm PST 
being realistic for a moment (not my strongest suit, but i can don it when necessary), i doubt that we can be simon's "furever" home...the other roommate (NOT the one he had the oopsie on...he "held it" for fourteen hours (!!!) then went pee pee & poo poo all over my roommate melinda...upside, he doesn't mind being bathed in the least...) andrea doesn't mind if he crashes here for a time, but he's yet another illegal alien and we risk eviction even with kaya & shyloh. also, finances make it iffy that i can give him all the vet care, etc., that he needs.
however, if i can get through to a feral rescue (still hasn't happened...), i still have the issue of transportation. there are NO local rescue organizations. ann arbor has one, but that's a good piece away...and i can't exactly mail simon to ann arbor (i have no car). if i do manage to get someone interested, is this what the "catster railroad" is for?
i love this kitten. this is WHY i need to find him a better home. he needs blood tests i can't currently afford for FeLV, FIV, etc. before i could even in good conscience informally adopt him out. he'll make someone a magical kitty companion...but unless my circumstances change radically and soon, we can't keep him long-term. i still believe i did the right thing...he could NOT continue as he was.
what i hope is that whoever eventually takes him can take over his catster page, and we can keep up with him that way...he is SUCH a love bug, if he's healthy i KNOW someone else will fall head over heels just like i have. but you have to know your limitations...a little more money and a different lease, and i'd keep him...
no, i'm not happy about this. i love kitty, kitty loves me, melinda loves kitty, kitty loves melinda. but the twin issues of money & lease agreement are powerful...plus the other roommate, churrah's person, is not in accord with hopeless fantasy of it "somehow working out." we've had our issues-but she lives here too and is taking the same risks re: eviction. (it's unlikely, but possible.) so we'll just love on him all we can and work on getting him somewhere he can be forever cherished. (anyone have a kleenex? )

ChiliChipotl- eSamsonRedCh- eyenne

We are up for- adoption!

Purred: Thu Sep 4, '08 7:40pm PST 
wave,
Congrats on your capturing endvour!
Until you can find a home, or at least a foster home for him, keep him confined to a bathroom or other small room. If given too much space newly indoored kitties tend to freak and hide.
Have you tried www.alleycatallies.com?
>^..^

Purred: Sun Mar 8, '09 7:10pm PST 
i've been gone for awhile...first i had health issues (a series of strokes), and while that was going on we had a fire and had to relocate to another house across the parking lot, and then we were burglarized...things have begun to sort themselves out, and i was congratulating myself on avoiding the plague of locusts when willie wilkins contacted me about this group's disintegration.
i'd basically...forgotten about you guysred face
but I'M BAAACKKK!
check out the new pics on the feral squadron's page...then check out their "family members". one of them should be familiar to those of you who gave me advice about capturing "mr. simon hedges"...you will note his name is now "rhymon pearle hedges"...yep, he had a sex changelaugh out loud "he" is not yet spayed due to finances and travel problems...working on that...but SHE was negative for all the big ugliescheer
you will also see in the "family members" meayah saye. she belongs to melinda, as does shyloh...but she came to us in much the same manner as rhymon...except where rhymon had to be captured, meayah was wailing for someone to "let me in!"laugh out loud meayah and shyloh now live elsewhere, but meayah was another member of the squadron who found a home with us...though i don't think meayah was feral, more likely she was abandoned...incredibly friendly cat. she was healthy except for a bad case of the "rare" type of worms...would have killed her before much longer if we hadn't taken her in. her digestive system seems to have been somewhat damaged, and melinda had to experiment with foods and keeps pumpkin on hand...but she's doing well and is just gorgeous.
while you're on the feral squadron's page...and i'm just assuming you will be...take a look at the picture of my orange kitty kaya looking out the glass door as one of our feral squadron kittens is looking in...i was so relieved that day, i hadn't seen hide nor hair of the babies under the house for weeks.
and that's the feral squadron news...