Annual Vaccinations

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love

Purred: Thu Jun 26, '08 9:58pm PST 
Because we're older and some have various medical conditions, is it still safe to have the annual vaccinations?

I'm questioning whether the vaccinations may compromise our delicately balanced systems.thinkingconfused

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Thu Jun 26, '08 10:30pm PST 
I don't get vaccinations anymore. My vet (and my previous vet, who moved away) agrees I don't need/shouldn't have them.

Some may be required by law, though. I got the 3-year required rabies shot when I was about 15 and Mom didn't think I would outlive it. I showed her!! She's the one who'll go to jail!

Have your mom talk it over with the vet.

My sister SooLing still got all her shots at age 18 or 19. The vet never suggested otherwise. It took her a few days to recover from them, and Mom decided then she wouldn't have a cat that old get shots.

Alaidh - my little- angel

The only real- cat is a grey- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 26, '08 11:19pm PST 
I haven't had any shots since I was about 16. The only problem with that is, a couple of times Mummy has wanted to visit her friend in Seattle and she was going to bring me along. They require me to have my rabies shot to cross the border, though, so Mummy left me with a nice lady for the weekend. Unfortunately I got sick after that, so Mummy's not sure what she'll do the next time she wants to visit Seattle. frown

Edited by author Thu Jun 26, '08 11:19pm PST

Edgar ~- Precious- Angel

Wake me when- it's time to- eat!

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 12:21pm PST 
Well don't tell anyone, but our mommy hasn't gotten us our annual vaccinations in years and years! Mommy wasn't at all convinced that they were good for us. AND mommy has seen recently on the news that now even some vets are saying that shots every year are not necessary and may even be linked to the increase in cancer in pets (something furts were just recently meowing about).

Edgar ~- Precious- Angel

Wake me when- it's time to- eat!

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 12:26pm PST 
P.S. Here is a website that may be helpful on the topic:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vac.html

Flower - Purrecious- Angel

Flowie The- Warrior Queen!- (Thanks, Bugsy

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 12:36pm PST 
When I went to the v-e-t with my sisfur Peekers and brofur,Apollo, the tech said that a "new protocol" is recommended. Three year rabies shots and distemper every other year. New studies conclude that this is just as effective and less negative reactions from the injections will be a plus. I haven't had any trouble so far and I'm 16, but Momma is watching carefully and if I seem to be fragile, she'll say NO WAY and keep me safe from the needles!
Love, Flowie cheer

Taz

Mommy says I am- Purrrrcious

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 12:59pm PST 
Nice topic - I am going to the VET Monday and they said I was due for some shots. Mommy will have to ask her if there is any plus to be getting them so frequently. They make me tired but I can usually handle them.

Alex (The- Angel)

Alex has left- the building

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 5:45pm PST 
I haven't had a vaccination since I was about 10 years old. I live indoors, so my vet said I don't need them. My little "bothers" had their one year old shots, but that will be it for them too.

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 6:08pm PST 
Dr. Barchas, the vet with the blog on Dogster/Catster, had this to say recently:

"Vaccines are a perennially controversial subject in veterinary (and human) medicine. As I have mentioned many times on this blog, nobody knows with any true certainty how often pets should receive vaccines (although plenty of people have strong opinions about the matter).

Over the last several years, the trend in the veterinary community has been to vaccinate pets less often. But researchers are discovering new uses for vaccines that might reverse that trend."

The article goes on to talk about developing vaccines for cancer. The above is all he said about the type of vaccines we're talking about. You can read his entire article here:
http://blogs.dogster.com/vet_blog_information_advice/vaccines -poised-for-a-comeback/

I see Catster has added a space in that URL. naughty Remove any spaces.

Edited by author Fri Jun 27, '08 6:10pm PST

Sissy (love- you angel- girl)

Adorably cute &- spoiled!

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '08 6:41pm PST 
I have not had any shots since about the age of 5...

My siblings who go outside have gotten the leukemia shots but not rabies shots. The vet said it wasn't necessary since there haven't been any cases of rabies in many years. And laughed when mommy said that we have raccoons and skunks...

Although we do believe in the essential kitten shots. I guess it all depends on your state laws regarding shots and what all for pets. Also remember that shots are an easy money maker for a vet, so if your pawrents think it may be unnecessary than they should pass on it.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2