'Club Med' for Hyperthyroidism

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Wed Jun 18, '08 10:00pm PST 
If you have hyperthyroiodism (or happen to know something about it) and want to share information or ask questions, here's the place! It's our own little Hyper-T Club Med.

There is no enrollment, no dues and no regular meeting time. Just drop by anytime to share, or ask away!

Alaidh - my little- angel

The only real- cat is a grey- cat!

Purred: Wed Jun 18, '08 10:03pm PST 
My cousin Katy (*pfft* *swipe swipe*) is being tested for hyperthyroidism this week. She's showing no symptoms other than weight loss, but her mummy - my mummy's sister - is taking no chances.

Annie- Angelpants

Her Princessness

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 9:49am PST 
Ooo!! My very own Hyper-T Club Med? Pawsome!! I've been on Tapazole twice daily, now, since Nov. '07. Everything seems ok. My meowmy thought it was weird that I wasn't the typical skinny, hyperactive Hyper-T kitty at the time of diagnosis...but that's just 'cause I'm so extraordinary!! MOL!

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 10:00am PST 
*raises paw for permission to meow*

I was diagnosed almost a year ago when Mom noticed I was suddenly eating with gusto, and eating a little more than normal!! It was caught early so I hadn't lost any weight. I was already 18 and don't do well at the vet's, so Mom and Dad didn't really consider the radioactive treatment for me.

I don't take pills well, so Mom got the liquid Methimazole -- "no flavor" -- for me. It really isn't bad -- it has no taste! I take .5 ml once a day. It got me to an acceptable level by the 4-week check and I was maintaining at the 6-month check. I'll be due for another 6-month check soon, I suppose. frown

I have a question. Even though it doesn't taste bad, I fight Mom when she gives me the medicine. Sometimes I win and dribble most or all of the medicine back out of my mouth. Mom doesn't give me more medicine when that happens. She's adamant about me taking it all the next time, though. What do your moms do if they think you missed an entire dose?

Beardsley,- Never- Forgotten.

To err is human,- to purr is- feline.

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 10:28am PST 
My Mum had a constant battle to get my tablets down my neck, twice a day for three years!
She used to cut the tablet into three or so pieces then hide them in yummy things, like roast chicken skin, prawns or pill pockets. Chicken skin was the easiest because it sticks together.
The liquid sounds hard to administer, how do you do it?

Angel Maxie

Bring Bling &- Laughter to the- Angels

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 11:16am PST 
I HATE any liqued meds and spit them all over Meowmy. So she gets me pills and puts them in pill pockets, or even better - cream cheese balls. We can't resist those!

Two of my Bridge Brothers - Willie & Conan who had hyperthyroid. Willie did purrfect with tapozole, but Conan did not. The vet decided to do surgery versus making him radioactive, and sadly he died a month later. He told Mom it's a cancer and that it was more widespread than he thought - DUH - so you take a chance with my brother's life? Hisses

Mackenzie- (1997-2013)

Miss Priss

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 11:19am PST 
Mama knew I had problems after I climbed into the trash can to eat egg shells. I also ate the top of Memere's carrot cake and the corner of Mama's pan of brownies. The doc put me on Tapazole liquid and I LOVE IT! I won't eat my kibble without my salmon or chicken garnish squirted on top! It's the best!

My levels are good, now. I get .5 ml twice a day 5 days a week and .5 ml daily 2 days a week. I've gained my weight back and I've not eaten egg shells since. Hasn't stopped my counter surfing!

My brother has asthma, and he gets prednisone pills in special treats. He loves them that way and takes his pills very well. Mama calls it a "god send" and you can buy them at the pet stores as well as at the vet's. They're called "Pill Pockets".

Edited by author Thu Jun 19, '08 11:26am PST

Lizel (rest- in peace,- angel)

The Beaze

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 11:42am PST 
Hi everyone! =3
I've had hyperthyroidism for some years now (almost five, if not more! my human is so bad with dates).
I do fairly well these days, but when my medicine is forgotten by my dad (who is also my human's dad; I love him but he works too hard and is forgetful every so often! Drives my human nuts!) I lose my appetite for a couple of days. That's the nature of methimazole, isn't it? Must be taken quite regularly.
I've been picky with my food again for the past couple of weeks, so my humans switched me from whiskas wet packs back to friskies canned. I seem to be eating better again. Are any others here picky with their food and stop eating occasionally? If so, do you think it has to do with our thyroid issues?
Thanks, all! =3
-Lizel

Mista Clyde

Im bringin' sexy- back...

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 12:16pm PST 
I was recently diagnosed and have been on 5mg of methimazole for a week now...I've been taking my pill in Pill Pockets and so far, so good! I get tested in 3 weeks to see how I'm doing on my meds!

i had almost all of the side effects of hyperthyroid, but we just didnt know that was it! I had been occasionally throwing up (mom thought I was just eating too fast, which I've been known to do), pooping outside my box, irritable, rough coat, had a lot of energy to play (mom thought that was a good thing), etc. After the thyroid test and looking up all of the symptoms of hyperthyoid, it all made sense!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences during this time for us dealing with this new problem in our family smile

Chip ~- Furrever- Loved

Who wants to - play?

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 6:38pm PST 
I was diagnosed a couple years ago too. It was just a regular v*t visit and she heard my heart murmur. She tested my blood & sure enough...hyperthyroid.
I take 1/2 pill twice a day. Mom & daddy try to give them to me in pill pockets...sometimes I'll eat them, sometime I just look at them. It just depends on how I feel.

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17