DIABETES (consolidated thread)

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
ELVIS God's- little angel-

MR STUDD MUFFIN

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 9:03pm PST 
ok some know elvis's situation, here i a re-cap for others elvis is 12 , he was adopted from humane society at 7 weeks. he is my son and rock. in 01' he had bladder stones and had them removed otherwise never had a problem healthwise. we moved back to st louis from las vegas in 06' aug. elvis started acted slower in sept late in month. i took him to humane society the did lab tests blood work said he is diabetic ok my heart can beat did insulin food ok. end of december i noticed he started acted funny. so i took him back to vet. (nov moms cat had spleen removed cancer, and had spots on liver) they took x-ray as soon as image came up on vets laptop i saw the masses and i knew then i saw his liver my eyes overflowed and my heart sank. my baby was dying, a truth no one wants to face. his legs he has good days/bad, my question is he tends to have weakness in lower legs and holds them close to his well close together(as in humans if we had to pee really bad and walked closed legged) it is not closed legged but there maybe no more than 1 inch inbetween maybe. this is how i have to clean his paws frequently. he urinates on his paws and the litter clumps and i clean. has any one experienced this and any soultions??? i wont return him to vet, he has been thru enough poks prodes. i know he is dying. i hate it but i know. does anyone ever use natural chinese herbs, i just want him to be comfortable in his remaining time with me. any help would be appericated, some days he is perfect, well not perfect, but his legs are fine, i think it has to do with the insulin the tumors put out?? i give him 3units 2x a day if i up it he tends to sleep more and i dont want him like that. plus 3 units tend to keep his urination down, from heavy flowing. this helps his kidneys. any help we will thank you and keep you in our purrrss....

Truman (Feb.- 1993-March- 2012)

Cereal Monogamy

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 10:14am PST 
We don't have any experience with this, so all we can offer is purrs of support. I'm not sure there are any diabtetes forums on Catster--probably. But in the meantime
you might look at this website

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

They seem to have a lot of information as well as Forums where people can write about their experiences.

Good luck.

Taz- 1989-2012

I love playing- dressup!

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 10:20am PST 
We don't have any experience with this, either, but can we suggest you consider consulting a veterinary internist? They may be able to tell you why Elvis is doing what he is doing and help you make him more comfortable in the time he has left. Most vets will work with you if you tell them your objective is comfort care only and you want to keep pokes and prods to a minimum. Good luck, and purrs to Elviswishes

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 2:06pm PST 
The back leg problem is called diabetic neuropathy. It is a common symptom of unregulated diabetes. It can be treated with with methly B12. This web site has more info on diabetic neuropathy and the methly B12 supplement: http://laurieulrich.com/jasper/.

Quote: "i give him 3units 2x a day if i up it he tends to sleep more and i dont want him like that. plus 3 units tend to keep his urination down, from heavy flowing."

What is the name of the insulin? How long has Elvis been on insulin? If he's just been diagnosed, 3 units twice a day of any insulin is too much to start with. I am *very* worried when you say that Elvis sleeps more when given 3 units twice a day. It could very well be a sign of hypoglycemia (very low blood glucose level). Constant hypoing is very hard on the body and can lead to serious effects. Here are some other symptoms of hypo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/hypogly.htm

Please, please reduce the insulin dose to one unit twice a day!

What information has your vet given you regarding treatment of the diabetes? It sounds like you have very little info other than to give a huge amount of insulin blindly twice a day. I say blindly because it does not appear that you are testing Elvis' blood glucose levels at home.

Seek out a second vet opinion, too. A lot of vets are not familiar at all with treating feline diabetes.

Maybe try a different insulin, too. Some insulins are too harsh on a cat's body and don't last very long. The preferred insulins as PZI, Lantus, and Levimar.

I highly recommend that you check out http://felinediabetes.com/ for more information on treating Elvis' diabetes as well as join in the forum to get advice on how to best manage the diabetes. Having diabetes is not a death sentence. It can be well managed if your Human has the proper information and is willing to take an active role in your cat.

I hope I don't sound too harsh here red face I only want Elvis to get his diabetes under control and feel better.

Edited by author Sun Jan 13, '08 6:23pm PST

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 2:08pm PST 
Adding, I have diabetes myself. I get insulin twice a day and am fed low carb canned food. I'm a pincusion, too: my Human tests my blood before each insulin injection and does checks on my blood glucose levels during the day, too. My diabetes is regulated, though my Human says it can be better regulated if my broken pancrease works again, mollaugh out loud

MR STUDD MUFFIN

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 4:59pm PST 
ELVIS WAS TOLD HE WAS DIABETIC IN OCT 07' HE IS ON PZI INSULIN. THE VET STARTED HIM ON 2UNITS 2X A DAY PER HIS LEVELS. WE TEST HIM AT VET, PER VET INSTRUCTIONS. THIS IS IN OCTOBER WHENI FIRST STARTED OUT. THE PROBLEM IS WHEN THEY DIAGNOISED ELVIS THEY TOLD ME NOTHING ABOUT CHANGING HIS DIET, SO I GOT INSULIN. OF COURSE IT HELPED SOMEWHAT BUT NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT DIET TILL I TOOK HIM BACK FIRST PART NOVEMBER THEN HE IS PUT ON DM PURINA DIABETIC MANAGEMENT FOODS., THE PROBLEM NOW IS, THE TUMORS HE HAS THE VETS SAY IS PRODUCING INSULIN LEVELS THAT MADE HIM SEEM DIABETIC, AND IT IS GIVING HIM IRREGULAR LEVELS. WHICH IS WHY THEY WANTED TO PUT HIM DOWN. I HAVE TRIED TO DO WHAT I COULD I WENT TO ONCYLOGYST HE SAID CHEMO WHICH WOULD MAKE HIM SICK AND MAYBE GIVE HIM 3 MONTHS, QUALITY VS QUANITY. I DONT WANT HIM TO SUFFER ANYMORE, THIS IS MY PROBLEM. SO IF I REDUCE THE INSULIN AND BUY A FINGER PRICKER TO TEST HIM THIS WILL HELP HIM OUT.??? I AM AT MY WITS ENDS... THE VETS I HAVE GONE TO 3. I HAVE SPENT OVER $4500.00 AND YET I HAVE FELT LIKE I HAVE ADDED MORE STRESS AND LESS RELIEF TO HIM WHICH IS WHY I TURNED HERE. MY DELIMA HE LOVES TO EAT REGULAR FOODS AND AT THIS POINT I FEEL WHY SHOULD HE NOT, I AM TRYING TO JUST KEEP HIM OK. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, MY PROBLEM IS I KNOW HE IS NOT GOING INTO SHOCK, I THINK IT IS THE CANCER THAT MAKES HIM TIRED MORE THAN INSULIN, BUT WHEN DOC ASKS ME TO UP DOSE HE DOES NOT RESPOND LIKE AT 3 UNITS, HE SEEMS RESPONSIVE AT THIS DOSE. I AM GOING ON THE WEBSITE AND FIND THE STUFF YOU WERE REFERRING TO . THE VET SAID I WONT BE ABLE TO EVERY GET HIS LEVELS TO BE REGULATED FULLY BECAUSE OF THE TUMORS PRODUCING THE INSULIN ALSO. I APPERICATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE. I WISH IT WAS JUST THE DIABETIES HE HAD , THIS WOULD BE EASY TO SOLVE, BUT YOU ADD IN THE CANCER AND IT MAKES THIS HARDER TO COMBATE.

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 6:06pm PST 
Hmm... the tumors complicate the diabetes thinking I'm not sure if reducing the insulin might work in this case.

A Human diabetic blood glucose meter is all you need to test your blood glucose levels. Vets sell a fancy one designed for pets but it's not anymore accurate than a Human one and it's also very, very expensive. The test strips are only sold by a vet so if you run out and need test, you're stuck shrug

I see that you posted at FelineDiabetes.com Someone with experience with a similar situation will respond to your post. There are two vet techs on the board, too, so they can offer help, too.

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 6:27pm PST 
This is not medical advice, by any means -- I don't know anything about diabetes nor about cancer. I do know you want Elvis to have the best quality of life that he can, as long as he can. Is he resisting the diabetic food? I can certainly understand why you'd want Elvis to be happy with the food he's eating -- I can't say I disagree with you on that, under the circumstances.

Merlin, aren't there lots of yummy foods that are good for diabetics? Is any high protein food good? I know you're very knowledgeable about food, so maybe you could suggest some foods that would be good for Elvis (or not harmful, at least) and would taste good to him, too. I know many cats love Fancy Feast, it's not as expensive as some and it's easy to find. Would it be all that bad for him?

What does Elvis like to eat?

MR STUDD MUFFIN

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 6:39pm PST 
ELVIS LOVES THE DM PURINA DIABETIC FOOD BUT ONLY IN MORINGS, IN AFTERNOON AND EVENINGS HE WANTS FANCY FEAST AND SHEBA, I HAVE SPENT MORE IN THESE PAST MONTHS THAN I HAVE IN THE PAST YEAR I WIL HAVE NO PROBLEM GIVING HIM WHATEVER HIS LITTLE HEART DESIRES. MERLIN GAVE ME SOME EXCELLENT ADVICE.... I WILL GET ELVIS THE FORM OF B12 VIT SO IT WILL IMPROVE HIS LEGS. I THINK I WILL TRY AND DECREASE HIS INSULIN, MY MOTHER WORKS AT DOC OFFICE AND IS GETTING ELVIS A METER MONDAY SO I CAN MONITOR HIS BLOOD, I WISH THE VET HAD TOLD ME THIS ADVICE... I THANK EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR THEIR SUPPORT AND ADVICE IT IS HELPING ELVIS SO MUCH. AND ANY LENGTH OF TIME I CAN GET WITH HIM THAT IS QUALITY I SIMPLY THANK GOD FOR.

Truman (Feb.- 1993-March- 2012)

Cereal Monogamy

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '08 1:52am PST 
Thanks, Merlin form helping out here too...

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5