Insecure Dog

Nikkos

Love me Love me- Love me

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '08 7:16am PST 
I have an extremely insecure pit bull that I got from a rescue about six months ago. I have been working with him and trying to get him to be more secure and it really isn't helping. I hate to see him so insecure and I know that he has been through a lot before I rescued him. Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Henry

Life is soooo- good now!

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:28am PST 
Hi Nikkos-
What sort of issues does Nikko have? Is he scared of people? other dogs? does he play?

Nikkos

Love me Love me- Love me

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 7:14am PST 
OK Nikkos loves playing and has come a long way from where he was when I got him from the rescue, but he is still insecure. He is initially afraid of people that he doesn't know, but warms up easily. I cannot even talk too loudly or he hides and cowers. Also he has been with me for six months and is never hit in our home, but sometimes if he does something he shouldn't he acts like you are going to hit him which we do not. Also when we take walks he always has his tail down. He has to be in a crate when we leave because he gets so nervous and chews things like the wall. He just acts so scared sometimes and I want him to be a confident dog. This dog will let the cat push him around and be afraid. Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it. I just want my animals to be confident way to go

Henry

Life is soooo- good now!

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 7:30am PST 
Someitmes it takes a long time for dogs to feel self-confident after they have been through a rough start to life. With my dogs I have found that when I act confident eventually it rubs off on them. When I am out walking I hold my head up high and walk with confidence. I also try not to react to their "reactions". Sounds confusing, but what I mean is my dog Jimi was a scaredy-pants from day #1. When he would get scared of the broom or the door bell or whatever, I just ignored his behavior. I just acted like everything was fine and after a while he stopped getting so scared. I think he realized that if I was not worrying about the thing that scared him, maybe it really was n't so scarey after all. Exposing them to new things is great too, Jimi and Henry love to ride in the car. They get to see and smell new things from the safety of the car. Above all, remember it does take time for them to change, and it sounds like Nikkos is in a fantastic home. big grin

"AngelWinged- " Candy- Marie

Candy - 4 legged waste- disposal

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 9:41am PST 
An insecure dog is one the hardest to get to come around. My pup Booner had some fear issues when I got him. Like I've seen Cesar do so many times, you have to confidently and calmly make them face their fears and eventually they move on. Booner had a big fear of cars, we would walk and if one would come by he would just flip out.Ii just made him keep moving and he learned that nothing bad was happening to him and now we walk without a problem. So stay with it. Show leadership and he'll begin to trust you.

Nikkos

Love me Love me- Love me

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:42am PST 
I just want to say thank you for all your comments. applause I feel like at least I am on the right track and that if I keep doing what I am doing Nikkos will overcome his insecurities. I was noticing this weekend that Nikkos has made huge improvements since he was adopted.

Romeo

I'm a Lover NOT- a Fighter!

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '08 7:36pm PST 
Our stories are very similar, we found Romeo in the woods this past August, he was scared to death and starving. He had been in the woods for a couple of weeks aparently. He was afraid of people , especially men and also other dogs. He also had sores all over him from the woods. I already have 5 dogs , but could not think of putting him in a rescue the way he was. I knew being a pitbull and his fear would keep him from adoption. Instead I used all I learned from watching and reading Cesars show and books, and started to help rehabilitate Romeo. I walked him along with my other dogs everyday so they would except him into our pack. I also took him to the dog park daily to get him use to people and dogs. He has improved a lot! But it takes time and patients...and most of all you have to NOT feel sorry for him because of his past, I know as humans it's very hard to do this, however it is very important for his rehabilitation to have you as a strong leader and not weak feeling sorry. Believe me it's hard when you remember the sorrow they first had in their eyes. Oh and I forgot to mention Romeo also has seperation issues still when I leave , I have gone through 6 couch pillows! But we are still a work in progress dancing But it is so worth it when he looks up at me with pure love and gratitude in his eyescloud 9