Mane isnt growing back

Malvern

Maraow-raow- (Malvern talk- for Hello)

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 11:33am PST 
Malvern has been with us for year and a half...this is his second winter.
Last winter his mane grew ultra long and bushy, this winter it hasnt come back as full. What's going on??
if you look at my page, the last photo is from this month and compared to the other pics...you can tell his mane isnt as long.

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '07 11:34am PST

♥- Pete &hearts

Open the Door!

Purred: Fri Jan 25, '08 2:19am PST 
Hi Malvern, My mane was really light last winter (well in March when mom got me) and it's really thick this year. Mom's read that that is normal for NFC. You'd have to look in my photo album to see last winter's pictures, but I'm much fluffier this year. Are you warmer this year? Mom's noticed with her other non-NFC kitties that weather makes a big difference. If they're out in it a lot, they get more fur, and if they are inside a lot, and mom keeps the heat up, they don't get as much fur. I spend a lot of time outside in the snow, I really like snow, and I get very grumpy if I don't get to go outside. I'm sometimes too hot inside because I've grown so much snow fur.

Rowena

I'm too- cyuuuuuuuute!

Purred: Fri Jan 25, '08 5:34pm PST 
Pete's right. We need to spend some time in the cold to get really super fluffy. I like staying warm inside, so mine doesn't grow as long as it did the first year I came home.

Princess- Cilantro

Valentine’s- Day Baby, Spice- Cat

Purred: Sat Jan 26, '08 9:35am PST 
My Mom (she’s a vet) told me that your mane only grows in when the whether gets cold. If you live somewhere like Florida your mane doesn’t change much or if you don’t get to go outside in the cold your body doesn’t know it’s cold and your mane doesn’t grow. Mom also told me that NFC’s don’t reach maturity until we are five years old and this is also a factor.

Since I live in Toronto Canada, and it’s really cold here my mane grows in really thick. She also takes us for walks in the snow. She has to put a jacket on Tarragon cause he gets cold. way to go I don’t need one cause I have lots of fur. I’m going to be five next month so I can’t wait to see how big my mane is going to grow next year. cheer

Purrs,

Princess Cilantro

Jasper

One small eye,- One huge heart.

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '08 1:49pm PST 
I have a big ruff that I didn't have when my human took me home back in May. Does this mean I will shed long pieces of fur when the weather warms?

That will be fun!!

Malvern

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '08 6:35pm PST 
i cant tell when Malvern sheds his winter fur.
Yes, the heater was on all winter...i guess that why his mane isnt as thick.
I cant take him outside tho, b/c he will run away.
That is how we adopted him in the shelter in the first place, he was found as a roamer.

Princess- Cilantro

Valentine’s- Day Baby, Spice- Cat

Purred: Thu Jan 31, '08 10:17am PST 
How about going outside on a harness and leash? That's the only way my Mom lets us out. I know it's not too much fun being attached to a human, but as long as I get to go outside I allow it.

Purrs,

Princess Cilantro

Malvern

Purred: Sat Mar 1, '08 2:22pm PST 
LOL, i've tried the harness. When it's on the crouches down and crawls b/c he feels something on
his back. laugh out loud he doesnt have too much fun with it.
I've gone out with him and supervised outside "roaming time", but last time he saw a squirrel and gave chase almost over our fence...so no more outdoor time.

Thumbellina

Sweetest kitty- in the world.

Purred: Mon Apr 7, '08 10:34am PST 
My mane (Mommy calls it my ruff) is bushy this spring. Usually Mommy says I'm the fluffiest and I just "WOW" her. But this winter, Elora did the WOWing. She was really super fuzzy! (She's part Maine Coon, Mommy thinks.) And I was just fuzzy. She out-furred me.

But now that Spring is coming, Elora's ruff has gone down a bit and mine is poofing out. We stay inside all the time, so I don't know how that makes a difference with winter. It was sometimes cold in the house because the big heater thing broke and Mommy and Daddy had to have someone fix it.

But anyway, now I'm back to being the fuzziest in the house!