Yowling Olde Furts

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Fiesta Cat - Sweet Angel

Party on!!

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '07 5:45pm PST 
How many of you have become loud yowlers in your old age? I was not a super loud cat in my younger days, but now I have terrible yowls / howls that can be heard throughout the house. I do this several times a day. I'm usually pacing or wandering about the house while I'm howling.

I was recently given a farely good bill of health. I have early stage CRF and retinal deterioration. My blood pressure and most of my blood work is good. My hyperthyroidism has not returned.

I've heard that this is a common symptom in older kitties. My pawrents don't know if I want attention, better food, if I'm uncomfortable, or confused. My mom's bridge kitty Tigress did this her last 6 months of her life. She would stand in the middle of the house and howl until somebody came and got her. She seemed to do it when she got confused, scared, or lonely.

Thank you and purrrrrs to all!

Cybil ~ A- Beautiful- Angel

Love and Kisses

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '07 7:49pm PST 
wave Hi Fiesta Cat!

I don't so much walk around and yowl as I do wake up and start yowling. Just a couple minutes ago I did just that. It's like something startles me so I wake up all disoriented and start crying. Within a minute or so, I seem to come around and feel better.

Maybe I should do some internet research on this. thinking

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '07 9:02pm PST 
I've always had a loud Meezer yeeeowl that I don't hesitate to use. But my yowling is often more frantic now. Mom always comes to me, if she can. I usually quiet down as soon as I'm picked up, but sometimes I resist that and seem uncomfortable being held (and Mom has noticed I'll often make a trip to the litter box soon after).

I yowled TERRIBLY on some medications, especially appetite stimulants (cyproheptadine and another one that Mom can't remember). I was on steroids for quite a while, and Mom thinks I yowled more then, too.

I don't pace much when I yowl, though. I usually sit in one spot and wait for someone to come. Sometimes, Mom says I seem so intent on my yowling that I'm surprised by her when she comes to me.

My sister SooLing yowled that way for years! As with me, Mom or Dad going to her usually satisfied her. She picked the center of the house, too.

Mom feels I usually yowl for attention and reassurance, but once in awhile I'm in some pain (which she can usually tell by looking at me).

I don't think I ever wake up and start yowling like you do, Cybil. Do you start yowling right where you were sleeping, without getting up?

Fiesta Cat - Sweet Angel

Party on!!

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '07 2:16pm PST 
I'm still yowling a lot!!! I've enjoyed reading all your responses. It seems to revolve around me asking for treats. I follow the humans into the kitchen. It is more than that, though. Mom sometimes wishes she could get into my head. Sometimes. MOL.

Muffin ( In- Loving- Memory)

Forever in their- hearts

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '07 3:55pm PST 
I don't yowl, but Mummy and Daddy note that I talk less now. I used to chat more. I used to do this really weird thing where I would go upstairs when everyone else was down stairs and yowl or "talk to ghosts" . I have done that since I was very young. I do it very seldom now. I guess we all change as we grow older, some get louder and some quieter.
I still like vanilla ice cream though laugh out loud

Alaidh - my little- angel

The only real- cat is a grey- cat!

Purred: Mon Apr 9, '07 12:19am PST 
The very first time Mummy saw me I was yowling. I was 8 weeks old in a cage at the SPCA. It's partly why Mummy fell in love with me! She didn't know what she was getting into...lol.

I've always sat in the middle of the apartment and yowled, woken up yowling, yowled for food or treats, yowled before I pooped in the litter box and yowled before I threw up a furball...and I'm yowling now. My mummy knows I'm not in pain because I've always done it! lol

I yowled when Sammie, my sister, died. Mummy couldn't believe the sound that came out of me. It wasn't like any of my other yowls.

It's funny, though, when Mummy travels with me, I'm quiet. I'm not scared - I'll go up to people and purr for scritches - but I don't meow.

Catfish (Here In Spirit)

Mice Beware!

Purred: Sun Apr 15, '07 4:50pm PST 
Since I've gone deaf, I can't tell how loud I yowl. But judging by the looks on my beans' faces when I do, it must be pretty eardrum-shattering. Purrt!wink

Miles

Chill out!

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '07 10:19pm PST 
I yowl very loudly!

I used to do it to call for Murray until he went to the bridge. Sometimes Mama thinks I forget and I'm still calling for him, but she doesn't really know. I'm not telling her, but I do enjoy my "singing" now and then.

Meeroww!

Sammie

Mama's Baby

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '07 12:17am PST 
I've recently started yowling too. I seem fine one moment. Then I walk to the middle of the house and yowl (when walking) It last a few seconds and then I'm fine. Mom doesn't know if I'm confused, scared, in pain or what. I always calm down after I hear Mom's voice though.

Taz

Mommy says I am- Purrrrcious

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '07 5:40am PST 
I am a Yowler too. Not sure why I do it and mommy always comes running to see what the problem it. She pets me and tells me it's okay but as soon as she leave some times I start back up again.I was very quite back in the day.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4