GO!

A Few Questions

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 2:37pm PST 
First of all, I'd like to thank you guys for all the great information you dish out everywhere. You've been a major source of knowledge for me.
I'm looking in to adopting an adult cat from my local shelter. I just have a few questions I want to ask to make sure I'm on the right track.

1) I know you are supposed to set up an introduction/safe room when you bring home your new cat. I have no other pets except my fish and snail. I don't think I'll be able to make the room on the main floor, since there are no rooms, except for a bathroom that is always used and a laundry room that is way too small for everything. The two other places are in the basement or my bedroom. The basement is rather dark and people rarely go down there. The door is often closed, and I don't want the cat to feel panicked when they can't access their safe room. There is only one tiny window in the room, and it's way up and doesn't provide much light. I'm highly considering my bedroom though. It's pretty quite and I'm never blasting pop music in there. wink Whenever I'm in their I'm sitting on the couch. It has a huge window too. Is a bedroom okay for a safe room?

2) Is a laundry room alright for the litter box to go? Only my mom goes in there to do laundry and it's away from all the commotion. Should I be worried the laundry machine would be too loud for the cat?

3) Is it okay not to put the cat tree in the safe room. I plan on putting it in the living room and would rather not have to move it down or up stairs.

4) Last question! (I know-finally!) How do you guys throw away the litter clumps? I was thinking just get a small trash can and keep a plastic bag in it, then just put the clumps in their and throw it out when it gets full.

Thanks again for all the help! You guys are great! applause
[notify]

Kritter

Pet me

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 3:06pm PST 
applausedancingapplause Concatulations!! Your questions are pretty good for a first-time cat owner (wish I had thought of them when I got mine).
The bedroom should be a good safe room, just make sure there is no place the kitty can get into and get hurt/stuck. I am ashamed to admit I have never used a safe room!
It goes without saying, the litter box should be where the kitty is. So until the cat has the run of the place--the safe room. Once it is used to everyone/everything the laundry room should be OK, I have one box in my 'utility/junk' room and a second in the upstairs bathroom. (I do have 2 cats in my house)
If the cat tree is heavy, just leave it in the living room, the kitty will find it soon enough.
And the litter clumps...I use an old litter container (with a LID) and just put the clumps in there and when it is full, dump the container (I live in the country and have land I can do that with). You just need to make sure you are keeping the smell in the bag/container.
The most important thing to do is LOVE and ENJOY your cat!!
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 7:23am PST 
Are you saying my room has to be neat? wink That actually made me think of another question. Should I have a litter box on both the levels the cat will be on? I googled it a bit and it said to have a litter box on each levels of the house.

Anyways, thank you so much!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 2:46pm PST 
I don't recommend putting the litter box in the laundry room. the sound of the machines can be off-putting to a cat, and the warmth of the dryer can increase the odor of the box. If you have a multi-level house, it is a good idea to put a box different levels in case the cat's access to one is blocked. Also, it's better to take the waste outside every time you scoop the box; collecting it in a can and emptying it only periodically is very, very smelly!
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:50pm PST 
Ah, that makes sense. Maybe I'll put it in the dining room that we never actually use for dining. I'll probably keep one in my bedroom too (upstairs.) Thanks!

Have you guys ever had bad experiences with litter boxes on the carpet? I do plan on having litter mats in front though.
[notify]

Bastian

Oh, you don't- play? Too bad!

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:09pm PST 
When scooping out my litterboxes, I buy cheap dog waste clean up bags. I can buy a box of 40 for $1, and they are completely convenient for clumps and turdies. I scoop my boxes 3x a day, so the smaller bags I get more use out of than a grocery bag. I also have a litter can to store all waste baggies! big grin
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:54am PST 
applauseI have to applaud you too, you are asking good questions and thinking enough of the kitty, that is great. You can already tell you will be a great cat mom (or dad?).

I still think a safe room is a good idea, even if you don't have other pets, because it is important for the kitty to feel safe in a new home before they venture out to check out the rest of the house. Once they feel secure in that room, you will see, if they get scared of anything they will RUN back to that room. You may not need to keep kitty in that room as long since you don't have another cat or dog to get it used to, but I think a few days in the safe room is still a good idea.

I agree, the cat tree in the living room will be a good idea smile I have one in my living room and since I got a great deal on a second one, I have one in the bedroom also. Check out amazon and Ararkat trees.....they are not the highest quality trees, but they are good and solid enough and a great value. I just got a $150 tree for $38!!!!! An Aramarkat! Free shipping! So check for sales, you will be amazed what you can find on amazon.

I agree that laundry rooms could be scary for a cat because of the noise of the washing machine. Some cats end up with litter box issues, and I think sometimes it is because the cat is not comfortable with where the litter box is. Actually, if you have an upstairs and downstairs, or a big house, having several litter boxes, especially if you have a kitten, is a really good idea. I actually made several small ones out of box lids, like from a box lid from a game or about that size. Having litter boxes close by can really help prevent the kitten from finding another place to go. In fact, this is another reason to keep the kitten confined to a single room for a few days, to make sure they know what the litter box is for and they are going there. Some young kittens will pick a comfy bed comforter instead, and if that happens, you may have to put kitty in a bathroom with a box, or a smaller place, so that they don't have options, just the litter box, until that is solidly established. Most cats are pretty easy though, but some need a little help figuring it out. And once good litter box habits are established, you can probably do away with the extra boxes, especially if you find out which one your cat prefers, because he/she will probably pick that one most of the time and stick to it, then you will know exactly where to keep it. Oh, and until you are sure your kitty is not scared of the litter box, you may want to use an open litter box, some of them don't like a covered one. Or maybe have one covered one and another one that is not. Kittens can be CRAZY in the litter box. My daughter's kitten loved to play in his when he was little, he thought it was a riot to fling litter everywhere.

I probably said too much, sorry, I talk a lot laugh out loud
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 7:09am PST 
Bastian- That's an awesome idea! I might have to steal that from you. Do you get the bags from the dollar store?

Beep- Haha, it's cool, I ask a lot of questions. And yup cat mom!

Oh, that's an amazing deal. I was just planning on getting those Petco brand ones that have nearly 5 stars, but that will definitely work too! Two litter boxes sounds fine, especially if it means one litter box could still be clean for kitty to use before I can scoop. Does litter "expire?" I read you were supposed to clean out all the litter monthly, is that because the litter loses it's effectiveness (odor control, clumping) after awhile?
I do plan on adopting an adult cat, partly so I can avoid kitten crazies and partly because everyone ends up adopting kittens.
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 6:12pm PST 
Regarding litter--with one cat, dumping everything and starting over shouldn't happen too terribly often. When I only had Sassy, I did it every 6-7 months or so. I now have 4 and it gets done very 4-6 weeks. Litter really doesn't expire, especially if you're freshening the box on a regular basis. For what it's worth, I've found that a half and half mixture of World's Best and Blue Buffalo litter offers the best that both have to offer. World's Best clumps better, Blue has less dust. Also, I highly recommend a Litter Genie. They're made by the folks who make the Diaper Genie and it's the same basic principle. With only one cat, you should only have to change the bag every 10-14 days. It's a lot easier than having to toss a bag every day.

I'm a big fan of adopting adult cats. I adopted Iba when he was 18 months old. He's my buddy. Do be aware though, that adult cats may be past the kitten crazies, but they have also developed some quirks that may or may not be fun to deal with. Iba hates the car and gets violently carsick. He's also a high anxiety cat and it's taken some trial and error to find a behavioral modification plan that helps keep his anxiety to a dull roar. That being said, I love him because when he's feeling good about himself, he's a really chill, sweet, affectionate boy.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:29am PST 
With one cat, if you get a fairly large litter box, and put a lot of litter in it, I had a big one at one time that I made out of a rubbermaid storage container with a door cut in it, and I would put the entire 35 pound container of litter. Scoop out the poop and pee clumps daily and it should last at least a few weeks, with one cat, maybe even a month IF you are diligent about scooping it daily. When it gets gross is when you let it go for days without scooping it, then it gets vile. I am a big believer in scooping it at least once a day. And this is especially important if you don't want to annoy anyone else in the house that might not be so gung ho on the litter box. Litter box issues develop when it gets dirty, and also people start regretting getting a cat when the litter box gets gross and they smell it. DON"T do that! Be diligent from the beginning and you can avoid SOOO many issues!!!! I wish I could drill this into my 19 year old daughter's head, she lives with her grandma and she is NOT good about keeping the litter box clean. Sigh.

I like the idea of using dog poo bags, keep them nearby and dispose of the poop easily, if you tie up those bags and have a closed up little trash can with a little lid, I think that is a great idea. Me, I take it to the outside garbage can, but I'm super picky smile But I think that idea is probably just as good, if not better than the litter genie, which is expensive and can be a pain. Just make sure the kitties can't get a hold of those little bags, just like little kids, they can suffocate if they stick their head in a bag and get stuck. Just like little kids, you have to think of things like plants, poison, toilets, electrical cords, anything you think a baby could get into, a baby kitten can get into, only worse, since they can climb. Blind cords! Big one....and mini blinds. I personally think its a best to put kittens up in their own room at night so they can't get into trouble while everyone is sleeping. Anyway, I'm rambling.......sorry I do that

red facered face
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2