GO!

Litter Box Stink

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oreo

Ms.Up and Down

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 10:18am PST 
What are some good ways to reduce Litter Box stink? thinking
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 10:45am PST 
You need to really stay on top of it - a well-maintained litter box shouldn't smell. I can only tell you how I do mine - I use a good clumping litter and I scoop constantly. I have two boxes and once a week I wipe them both down with a white vinegar/water solution and top off the litter. The actual boxes should be changed once a year or so since the plastic gets scratched and bacteria (and smell!) can grow in the scratches. It's just really important to keep the boxes clean or your cat might decide it's too smelly to use!
[notify]

Phaedra

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:49pm PST 
If the litterbox stinks someone isn't scooping often enough. wink Clumping litter gets rid of a lot of the stink. We have 4 cats and 3 large totes used as litter boxes. There is zero litterbox odor in our house. smile
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:31pm PST 
Make sure your cats aren't peeing over the side of the box. If your cat does this, try getting a litterbox with a cover, or putting down a washable/throwaway mat under the litterbox to catch the spillover. Totally gross, but my boyfriend's cat did this and it was awful.

I like the TidyCat 24/7 litter. It seems to work very well. I don't have any of the weird "cat pee" smells in my home keeping the box clean and using this litter.

Of course, feeding your cat a high quality diet reduces much of the stink at the source, too. smile

Edited by author Tue Jul 16, '13 5:32pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:16pm PST 
Sccop at least once a day every single day way to go Clean the litter box regularly with hot soap and water. Some people like to add litter box deordorizers to the litter but these are overly perfumed which cats don't like. Plain baking soda is a better choice but I don't really think it does much to absorb odors shrug
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 3:49pm PST 
After many, many years of wondering the same thing, I found out, like everyone else has.....scoop it every single day, and take the whole thing out and hose it out with a garden hose weekly. I have 3 litter boxes, two Breeze ones, which work differently, and those get the tray sprayed down with a safe all natural cleaner and wiped with a paper towel once a week, and hosed out monthly. I have one traditional, covered litter box in the den that I use world's best cat litter. I scoop it daily, and I can actually go about 10 days before I have to completely change it out, and when I do, the whole thing gets hosed outside. I use the small bag of world's best each time. Scooping daily is the ony way, but also, cleaning that thing out regularly is key. I have one cat that is super finicky, and I used to be good about scooping but not so good at cleaning it, and she started to pee outside of the box when it got to that point. Especially if you have one that is covered, and you are not seeing the pee that is clinging to the roof and sides and in the cracks of where it joins together.......it gets really gross if you don't hose it out regularly.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 10:46am PST 
Clean it everyday, and once and a while scrub it down in the tub, thats what I do. Like every 2-3 weeks give it a good scrub. Sorry I do not have all that much to say, but thats what I do, so give it a try! big grin
[notify]

Oreo

Ms.Up and Down

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 11:44am PST 
I started scooping the litter box twice a day instead of once a day and I got a different brand of litter (Tidy Cats) and the litter box has no bad smell! (I'm also hoping to get into the habit of scrubbing the litter box every 2 weeks.)

Thanks for all the replies, whenever I have litterbox issues I can always come back to read your posts. big grin
[notify]

Backstep

B the change U- want to C in the- world

Purred: Fri Jul 26, '13 8:30am PST 
In addition, I wrap dryer sheets around the filter.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Jul 28, '13 8:40am PST 
what litter are you using?

i bought "arm and hammer" once because i had a coupon. never again!

I came home from work and it smelled so badly of cat pee, i thought one of the girls pee'd on something. Nope. it was the litterbox.

i ended up dumping the entire thing out, since the urine clumps were more like wet sand. Some cat litters just dont work despite how often you clean them
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2