GO!

How do you do you kitty litter?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Mon Jun 3, '13 10:43am PST 
I like both World's Best Cat Litter and Blue Buffalo's litter. They clump well, help contain smell, and don't track as badly as others. Also, invest in a Litter Genie! It's well worth it. That way, you don't constantly have to search for plastic grocery sacks with no holes in the bottom. For one cat (especially a kitten), a refill for a Litter Genie should last quite awhile.

Be prepared to change litter boxes as your cat grows. My foster failure littermates started in a small box that was really shallow because they were only 4 weeks old and couldn't get into the big kid boxes. Once they were big enough, I took up the baby box and they started using the boxes my older cats use. If your kitten is prone to fling litter, think about investing in some big Rubbermaid containers (the big storage bin things). Cut a hole for an entrance in one side. These are more than deep enough to keep even the most overzealous litter flinger from making too much of a mess.
[notify]

Violet

Just a beautiful- flower named- Violet!

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 1:49pm PST 
I use the Dr. Elsey's unscented clumping litter (which I found out about here - thanks, Catsters!) in Violet's box. It keeps the dust down, and it honestly doesn't stink! I scoop it twice a day - once when we get up in the morning, and again when I come home from work. I also have a rug underneath - one thing that really helps my arthritic knees is that I have one of those soft padded bath mats under it instead of a regular rug. It's nicer on Violet's paws, and doesn't hurt my knees since I have to kneel down close enough to scoop. I just got it in a neutral "mushroom" color so it doesn't look weird in the corner of my kitchen where her litterbox is!

Now I have a question for the Catsters. I keep hearing about hooded vs. non-hooded litterboxes. I have a hooded litterbox for Violet, and she seems to be fine with it. I always had a hooded one for Edison too, and never had any issues his whole life. Any pros or cons? Right now, Violet is almost 3 mos. old, and the litterbox is considered your standard "large" from PetSmart. She's fine getting in and out of it, but I've heard that unhooded is better. I have a very tiny apartment - any thoughts on which box might be better when I eventually get her a newer one?

Edited by author Fri Oct 25, '13 1:53pm PST

[notify]

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Oct 27, '13 3:15pm PST 
Hiya, I use 2 open boxes with no lids. I use Odour Buster litter. I'm in Canada, so I am not sure if it is available elsewhere. The pro is that that I don't have to remove the lids every time I scoop (I scoop 2-3 times/day). The con is that the cats kick some of the litter onto the floor, so I am sweeping beside the litter boxes on a daily basis. There is no odour in our house whatsoever. One box is in a closet with no door beside our front door and the other is in the corner of our bedroom. I do a full clean of the boxes with hot water and Nok Out once per week.

If you are scooping the pee and poop twice a day, there should be no odour whatsoever. The pros of a lidded box is that the cat can't scatter and kick litter everywhere and it might be better for a shy cat. The cons are that it contains the smells and might make the cat not want to use it if it is stinky. A lidded box might also encourage humans not to scoop: out of sight, out of mind, ya know?
[notify]

Violet

Just a beautiful- flower named- Violet!

Purred: Mon Oct 28, '13 12:09pm PST 
I see, definitely! I scoop twice a day at least, or more if she needs it, and the Dr. Elsey's litter really keeps the smell down (even the unscented kind). And right now, while she's little, she really is a "kicker", LOL! So I may keep the hooded one for now. Thanks for the info!
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Tue Oct 29, '13 11:18pm PST 
It's Stella. Iba told you about our idea. We have one large Rubbermaid tub with a big notch cut out of the front. In addition to litter throwing and scratching, which we are all champions at, we had a kitty who liked to press his bottom up on the side of the pan to pee, and some of it would invariably run down the outside of the pan. This is impossible in the big tub. As a matter of fact, they are so great at preventing all kinds of misbehavior in the pan that I don't know why they are not more used. Some cats will not use an enclosed pan, but all seem to like these, because the top is open, but they have some privacy and the sides contain some odors and ugly sights. Our old kitty also had some terrible problems at the end of her life which involved producing the most unspeakably gross and smelly products, and this helped.

The only drawback is that if the kitty is determined to throw litter or her products out, she can still use the entry slit, as we do from time to time. Purrs!
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Sat Nov 2, '13 4:29pm PST 
My owner uses 3 boxes for 2 cats. 2 boxes are covered and 1 is uncovered. All 3 boxes are plastic and he does not use liners.

My owner buys Blue Buffalo pellets and Blue Buffalo regular and also mixes some corn or pine litter to a depth of about 2 inches. The pellets are layered on top to reduce the dust a bit. He scoops twice daily and cleans the boxes once per week. He does not completely change the litter once per week but rather just empties the box, washes them out, lets them dry and then puts the litter back. We proudly have a perfect record of using our boxes.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2