GO!

How do you do you kitty litter?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fuggles

Purrs like a- Harley

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 6:11am PST 
As the parent of a new kitten who has never cared for a kitten before, I'd like to know how you set up your kitty litter?

Can you please explain the entire process; from how full the tray needs to be, how deep should the tray be, what do you do with scooped poo, how often do you change the litter, what kind of litter do you use, etc.?

At the moment I'm totally winging it. I'm using the litter the breeder used (recycled paper pellets which Fuggles uses), scooping poop twice daily and flushing it down the toilet and changing the litter once a week. I was using a tray liner, but Fuggles would rip it up when he scratched around. The main issues I'm having with his litter tray is that the pellets are all around the tray and when he goes to cover his mess, he paws at the pellets on the ground.

Apologies for asking for such specific details. I'm just scared I'm doing it wrong!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 7:57am PST 
sounds like you are doing just fine to me! Remember that when you wash the pan, only use dish soap & hot water. No matter what litter I have tried, they still get some on the floor. Smitty will scratch the edge of the litterbox to "cover" all around 3 times. I try & use a small rug under the box, that way the litter does not fly too far, and cleanup is easier. You can try other litters, but sometimes kitties do not like change. Sounds like you are being a great kitty-parent to me!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 9:21am PST 
Read this for litter box info way to go http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

Always scoop daily, both for pee clumps and pieces of poop.

Do you plan on continuing use of the paper litter? I'm not familiar with that type of litter. But don't flush it down the toilet. It can cause a clog, even if the paper litter is supposedly flushable or biodegradable. Scooped wastes can be thrown away in the reuglar trash. Human puts waste into a plastic grocery bag, ties it up, and puts in the the trash can.

Clumping litter is best because you can scoop away all the clumps. Clay litter is gross because it just absorbs liquids which just sits in the box (and becomes smelly) until you empty the entire box and thoroughly wash it out.

A 3 inch deep layer of litter is good. You want a good deep layer so that urine is absorbed by the litter. A shallow layer of litter results in pee that makes its way to the bottom of the box and you have to scrape at it to remove shrug

Box liners aren't necessary. Most cats can rip up a liner pretty fast.

Try using a covered box to contain litter inside.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 5:42pm PST 
When I was a kid and would visit other people's homes who had cats, all I could smell was cat pee and I used to think this was normal if you had an indoor only cat.

How wrong!

Following this regime below I've never had an issue with my apartment smelling like cat pee. My cats have always taken right to their boxes and I never had any accidents in the house or fussiness concerning the litterbox.

1) Buy litterbox. I like the big deep ones with high backs because I had a GIANT CAT - some cats like the one with covers, and others don't. Kittens may like shallower boxes that they can easily crawl into.

2A) Buy litter. Your choice - there's so many options from newspaper, to pellets, to clay, to shavings. Scented and unscented. Clumping and non-clumping. I've heard some cats don't like clay litter because it hurts their paws. I've heard some cats/people don't like clay because it kicks up too much dust. I've heard to avoid clumping litter with kittens (because they may eat it and it could clump inside their bellies, so the story goes). I always liked clay litter (clumping for adult cats) and so have my cats. I find it's so much easier to clean up - I buy TidyCat 24/7, I think it's called. I find if you buy higher quality stuff, there is less dust and it clumps even harder making it easier to clean. I don't bother with liners. I put down a littermat under the litterbox to catch debris and help keep the floor clean.

2B) I put the litterbox in a quiet, dark place away from distractions -- mine is hidden behind a make-shift closet covered by a curtain. The cats go in and out just fine. I've never had a fussy cat (Thank God) and never had any cats have accidents in the house or go on a pee-rampage. The general rule is: # litterboxes = # of cats 1. Even if you just have 1 cat though, you may want to add additional boxes in the house especially if you have a large or multi-level house.

3) I treat the litterbox like another toilet in the house - when it's dirty, I "flush" it. Buy a scooper that has slits in it so that it filters out the clean litter from the soiled stuff. Scoop into a plastic bag, tie, and put in garbage. Some of the new litters (one is like sand) say they're OK to flush down the toilet -- I've never tried this, can't risk messing up the plumbing!

4) Every week or so when I clean the whole house, I empty the litterpan, wash it, and fill it with fresh litter. Replace/wash littermat as needed (especially an issue if you have cat that spills over the box).

Edited by author Thu May 30, '13 5:43pm PST

[notify]

Fuggles

Purrs like a- Harley

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 5:39am PST 
Thanks everyone for your advice! It's reassuring to know I'm not completly failing at being a kitty parent smile

Any other Catster's have any advice, tricks or tips?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 7:45am PST 
I use World's Best litter because you can flush it. I keep rugs/mats around the box so there's less tracking. If you change litter start with a second box with the new litter in it so if he doesn't like it you don't have an accident. If he'll use the new litter than you can transition by mixing it and increasing the amount of the new litter until you're switched over. I think they use that paper litter for small kittens and any cats after surgery so the flakes and dust of regular litter doesn't complicate things. Assuming he's more than 8 weeks you can switch to whatever kind is your preference.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 9:13am PST 
I should add that you need to scoop at least once a day. Some cats won't use a dirty litter box, even if it's just one clump inside shrug Human scoops 2-3 times a day.

Use a sturdy litter scoop. There are various kinds you can buy at the pet store. Human actually uses a metal skimmer spoon (the kind you use when cooking). It's very sturdy and easily cleaned. And it only cost a few dollars at the Asian supermarket. A dollar store may have similar skimmer spoons but sometimes they're made cheaply and are flimsy.

A good litter use to for kittens is Kitten Attract You can also put a layer of Kitten Attract on other litters to ensure that the kitten will use the box. Sometimes a change of litter type, even brand, can make a cat refuse to use the box.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 8:27pm PST 
Since you are so good about keeping the litter box clean, you may like the Breeze litter system. I have three litter boxes, 3 cats, and two Breeze boxes. The pellets are plastic, when the cats pee, it goes through the pellets, through a grate, and the pee is caught onto a super absorbent pad that you change once a week (I have two cats using one box one I change about every 4-5 days). The pellets don't have to be changed for a month, and you can really go a month before you need to. The Breeze costs about $30, there is a $10 off coupon in the box, Petsmart let me open the box and use the coupon on that purchase. They go on sale from time to time at petsmart too. The pellets cost $8 at Target (cheapest I have found) and the 4 pack of pads about $5. I scoop the poop at least once a day, or right away if I'm home. This is not a litterbox for a lazy person. If you leave the poop in the box, it gets disgusting.

Somtimes it takes a while to transition a cat to this litter box. It took my 10 year old cat a month. But they give you tips on how to do it, and it really works. What I love most about them is there is no litter tracking at all. No pee smell at all, until you go to change the pad, and then, if you have waited to long, you smell it then when you open the tray. I clean out the tray weekly when I change the pad, and once a month I spray out the whole thing and replace the pellets. I actually spend less money on litter, I think, than when I was buying those 35 pound buckets of tidy cat, plus they killed me to lift them. This is much easier.

The only bad thing is, if your cat gets diarrhea, it is gross, and you will have to change the pellets and spray it out, but we have been lucky and only had to do that on occasion. If you have a cat prone to diarrhea though, I would not get this box. My cats seem to prefer this litter box now, because it is so clean. I take the poop right away and there is no big pee clumps they have to stand on. It does not get stuck between their toes. I love this litter box. I do have a third covered litter box that has feline pine, and one of my cats prefers that box. I have used WBCL too, and it is good stuff, but I find it pricey, epecially if you are cleaning the box out a lot and replacing it, it is too expensive.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Jun 1, '13 5:39am PST 
Oh yes, I should have mentioned about scooping constantly to keep it clean. I practically scoop the minute a cat goes in, mol. With WBCL you don't have to change out the litter because it clumps so well, but once a week I wipe the box down with a white vinegar and water solution.
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Sun Jun 2, '13 7:02am PST 
Dear Fuggles and Fuggles's Meouwmy....I am presuming that you are both American...so I will not go through the list of possible types of kitty-litter you can get here, in England....

But I will tell you how I organise my cats'toilets...it seems to be a bit different from how most people do it (going by what I have just read on this thread)....may be good?/may be bad? don't know.....

I have four cats and (therefore) four dirt trays around the house....I use a medium-cheap litter, and they seem happy with it (although I would rather get the best...but...)...

Now this is the difference from what everyone else has been saying....I put two sheets of newspaper in each box and a small amount of cat litter...(I learned this from the lady who owns the cattery I used to go to)....I change all the boxes three times (or more...depending...!!) a day....I pick up the newspaper by the corners...straight into the rubbish bin....and a new set of newspaper pages and a bit of litter in the box.....!! It works very well for my cats and for me...but perhaps not for everyone.....

What I LOVE is that each cat has its favourite dirt tray....and they KNOW when I am going to clean the trays....and THEY WAIT....until they can go to the loo in a clean tray....!! Tambi pees and poos outside in the mornings, and then has her last pee in the box next to the fridge at 10.00pm every night....freaky, eh? AND she waits until I have taken the newspaper and litter out and made it fresh and clean for her....!! Jim uses the one in the hall....generally at about 11.00pm at night....he is the one I worry about, because he is liable to get those 'stuvite crystal' thingies....so when he has peed I can relax and say: 'good boy, Jimmy, good boy - such a clever boy'.....and he says: 'Pleeeasseee Meouwmy...I am not a retard...!! You want me to pee? I pee....!! OK?'
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2