GO!

Best Solution for Male Urine?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Padmé

The Jewel is in- the Lotus

Purred: Sat Mar 2, '13 5:48pm PST 
I found a lonely male cat yesterday night, he followed me home and I couldn't leave him outside since there's around 4 inches of snow and its freezing out. So I took him in for the night and woke up the next morning to house full of urine smell.
Anyway, I'm gonna look around to see if he has an owner, if not I'm going to neuter him and keep him..
Moral of the story...do you guys know of any good home remedies or products that work well to get the smell out?
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Mar 3, '13 6:58am PST 
Poor kitty, and you are an angel for taking him in. I have a feral cat in my garage as we speak, I'm a little afraid of what I will find when I go out there. I'm in Florida, but it was in the 30's last night, so she is in there now. There is a product called "Odoban", that my mother swears by for removing cat pee. It is an enzymatic cleaner. I personally swear by white vinegar and water. Vinegar smells awful at first, but it eventually gets the smell out. What happens when we have a pee incident here is that I clean it up, make a mixture of warm water and vinegar in a cup, about half vinegar, half water, and pour it on whatever it is, carpet, couch, rug, and then take a sponge and just try to scrub it out of there. If it's a bare floor, pour the mixture on there and clean it up. Then I follow with the odoban spray. You can get this stuff at Walmart, I've even seen it at my local grocery store, it's not expensive. My mom says they use it in hotels for really bad smells. I think it works great. Good luck. And thank you again for taking him in, you are truly an angel.
[notify]

Padmé

Purred: Sun Mar 3, '13 3:39pm PST 
Thank You! I've asked around my apartment complex and nobody has ever seen him before. He acts like he's been abused...he jumps at sounds or if I walk past him, if I go to pet him he slinks down to the ground like a scared puppy, but he'll lay in my arms for hours.
but thank you again! I'll definitely try cleaning with vinegar and water, I want it completely gone so he won't try and cover it up once he's neutered.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Mar 3, '13 8:10pm PST 
Poor thing, so scared like he is, that's sad. My feral, Arwen, when she sees big white trucks, which look like the ones that animal control sends around, if she sees one that looks similar, she flips out, and her belly slinks to the ground and she hides in a corner and shakes. It's so sad. A few months ago, a pest control company truck that was at my neighbors house had her terrified like that. A big male tom cat, I call him "Big Yella", he's a big yellow cat, he comes over and pees all over Arwen's bed and all around my front door and then Arwen won't sleep there. I have to spray it down with bleach, scrub and hose it down and spray it with vinegar before Arwen will stay around my front door again. Arwen is already spayed and ear tipped and has shots, and I wish that I could bring her in, but I have three cats inside already and don't know if she has diseases she could spsread to my cats, so I do the best I can for her outside, which is the only life she has ever known. I wish I could bring her in. I think that is awesome what you are doing for this boy you have found. I wish you the best of luck.
[notify]

littleboy

king of my home

Purred: Sun Mar 3, '13 9:12pm PST 
Padme that is so total cool that you are working to save the kitty and give him a home. I was once a street kitty and mom took me in. I have been fixed and still I have some issues if there are any kitties that show up in my yard and I see them it freaks me out and I feel the need mark my area so mom uses nature's miracle and it works well for us to eat up the smell.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
[notify]

Padmé

Purred: Tue Mar 5, '13 12:06am PST 
Well so far, so good..kind of! OH MY GOSH! THE MARKING! We left for about an hour...when we came back the smell smacked us square in the face! BAM! CAT URINE! Right at the front door! Haha, I scrubbed the floor, the walls and the door, he hasn't gone back to that spot(yet), but he has marked again...in an odd spot!
I was laying in bed last night and kept smelling cat urine, the litter box is in our bathroom (connected to our bedroom) but I had just cleaned it before getting into bed and didn't smell anything strong. Well, I did a little nosy detective work and found out that he sprayed right on the wall by my pillow! EEK!
I understand the door thing, letting know other cats that this is now HIS apartment, but my pillow?? I'm horrified!
Can anyone tell me why he might have done that?

He has also started this habit/game of yowling throughout the night. He'll pace back and forth from the front window to my side of the bed, crying and yowling. I don't know how to stop it. Cats are very different than dogs! I've grown up with dogs, trained dogs, groomed dogs. I have just found this hidden love for cats, and I still don't know much about them! All I know is that saying "no! Go nuh-night!", (like I do for my chihuahua when she decides it's time to play while we're falling asleep).....let's just say cats are nothing like dogs!

No worries, though! These things are no means for me finding him a new home! He's just doing instinctual stuff and I understand that. I vow to try to help him overcome it with some neutering and nurturing!

He has made some affection progress, that I am quite proud of! He came up to me on the couch and laid with me, it was heartwarming! He was even purring! I think he could be a really great family cat with some time, understanding and love!

We've named him Discord. It fits him..for many reasons! Discord meaning "the disagreement between people". I brought him in, boyfriend said NO!, I say yes, he still says no, no, no!...he'll come around though. I saw him petting Discord, but shhhhh don't tell boyfriend I saw!
Also, Discord a synonym for chaos and disharmony - he's definitely thrown our quiet little world into disharmony, but we'll overcome that, too!
and last, but not least!
Discord, the villain off of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - the best cartoon in all of everything!

Thank you for reading!
The new found kitty lover,
Britteny!
[notify]