GO!

1 1/2 yr old kitten digs, squats, but starts standing up when peeing

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 2:29pm PST 
She only does it sometime. But she always digs a good spot in the little box, then squats way down low. Then sometimes she stands up when she starts to go.

If I happen to be there, I hold her back down so everything stays in the litter box. But If I'm not, it'll go over the high sided litter box.

I guess I could go to a covered box, but I basically scoop anything I walk by and can tell she's been digging, so I know I would scoop less if she had a covered box.

Anyone else have a kitten who doesn't remain seated for the entire performance?
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:59pm PST 
My newest kitty, Stephano, not sure how old he is, but he is still a kitten, he sort of did something like this yesterday. He was squatting to pee and he had his paws propped up on the side of the litter box. We have a breeze litter box, it kind of has high sides, and he had his front paws up on the side so he was sort of standing while peeing. It didn't go out of the box or anything and I have only seen him do this once, but it did look sort of odd.
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 8:01pm PST 
I think maybe a covered litter box might be the thing to get, if this is going to be the norm for her. Is she declawed, and maybe doesn't want her paws down in the litter? Hopefully she won't continue this, but maybe the covered box will solve it.
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Feb 3, '13 4:32pm PST 
She's got her claws, as my arms can attest to. smile

I wonder if litter depth matters. It seems like she stands up more when the litter is running low (ie, when her front feet don't sink down as much).

They make a covered version of the box she uses, so maybe I'll try it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:02am PST 
You might consider a vet visit - I can think of two things that could cause this: one is that if he's got a urinary issue it may hurt to pee so he stands up when it starts to hurt. The other thing is more common in older cats. I know a cat that has a little arthritis and squatting hurt so she would stand up. Some cosequin helped her. Good luck!
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 6:49pm PST 
Wow, I never even thought about asking the vet. We were just there the other day for some regurgitating/throwing up issues.

The first thing the vet asked was if we throw dental floss into the trash can. She didn't have access to dental floss, but I realized she had some frayed sisal rope that she's been chewing on.

The vet recommended some pepcid, so I'm continuing with that, but all has been good after I trimmed off the frayed sisal rope.

*sigh*

Having a kitten is a big learning experience, but there's nothing else in the world like when she lays down with you.
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 8:02pm PST 
We are going through the kitten phase too, with our new kitten that we took in. It is sort of a trying time...but you are so right, so worth it when they curl up on your lap, or ours likes to curl up on your chest. It is the sweetest thing! Ours is so thankful to be saved from the big bad woods, and he just can't get enough love. We are enjoying this kitten phase, but you are so right, it is trying. I keep saying, "I can't wait until they get to the lazy cat stage", but I'm sure I will miss the kitten phase too.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '13 8:36pm PST 
We have cats that squat & end up standing & peeing. But I finally got smart & beat them at their game. I made pee shields. I got this heavy plastic at Walmart. It is to winterize windows. Anyway I cut slip & slide strips. I stapled them to the 2 x 4 on top of the foundation in the basement. With the plastic cut to fit 1 inch longer than the floor & 4 inches wider then the pan. I then put the litter pan under the plastic & fill it with litter. They pee all they want & it stays in the pan. I did the same trick with the upstairs pan, but taped it with carton tape to the tile. But some gets their butt just past the plastic & I get to clean every so offen. Oh well, you can't win them all.
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Thu Feb 7, '13 5:05am PST 
I watched Stephano do this last night, he gets in the box to pee, and it's a breeze, so it has a high side to it, and he squats while holding onto the side, so he is standing, but balancing with his paws. it is very odd looking, but his butt is all the way down, so I don't believe he would pee out, but the Breeze does have high sides. I love the Breeze box! Some don't like it, but it is working for us. Took one of my cats a full month before she would poop in it, so I had another box next to it. Eventually they see how much cleaner it is though, and they love it, most anyway.
[notify]