GO!

Consider using wood pellets for litter =)

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Elliot

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 12:20am PST 
Saw quite a few posts about litter so I thought I'd give my 2 cents this way. I've been using wood pellets as litter for my cat and it's the cheapest litter you'll find anywhere. It's just not advertised as litter: wood pellets! You can get them at rona for 5$ for a HUGE bag that will last a month. They're environmentally friendly, non-toxic for your cat, doesn't track, smells like wood, and cheap.
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 9:27pm PST 
Where would I find more information on this?
[notify]

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 9:47am PST 
I don't have any links handy but they are marketed as either wood stove pellets and/or sometimes a type of horse bedding. I have neither a wood stove nor a horse so I don't know the specifics smile

I looked into this option when I still used Feline Pine and it was significantly cheaper. They are a safe product because they are usually meant to be burnt in the home so there can't be harmful additives. I believe my local pet warehouse store stocks them but the major pet retailers and boutique shops do not. If I remember correctly they were also available seasonally at Farm & Fleet and Menards.

The only problem ended up being that the kitties liked World's Best far more than Feline Pine, so what are you gonna do?
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 10:52pm PST 
I will have to check into that!
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 1:32am PST 
I manage a feed store, and we sell wood pellets for horse stalls really inexpensively. You can also get them at the hardware store as stove pellets. smile
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:58am PST 
This is awesome, I'm going to check into them. I am thinking they would work in the breeze litter box, maybe? If so, would be a much cheaper solution. I will be looking into this.
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:38pm PST 
Sounds like it would be easier to clean up than regular litter.
[notify]

Jak-ke

Beauty Queen!

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:57pm PST 
I have always used wood pellets as litter for my ferrets and it worked great. I would buy a 40lb bag for about $5. It smells nice too. The only issue I found is it turns to powder when wet, so it is not very scoopable. Though with the price it is something I could get over. lol
[notify]