GO!

Need to Clean Cat Tree

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Hazel Mazel- (Mazie)

shy Mazie

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:46pm PST 
Hi,
A few months ago I had Giardia. It's cleared up. But the vet says I have to steam-clean the whole cat tree. That's impossible. It's been wrapped up for months. I don't think any parasites are alive anywhere. Is there a shampoo or spray I can use on the cat tree?
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:17pm PST 
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/giardia-and-pets.html

•Car pet / Upholstered Furniture
◦Cleaning Wear gloves.
◦If feces are on a carpet or upholstered furniture, remove them with absorbent material (for example, double layered paper towels).
◦Place and discard the feces in a plastic bag.
◦Clean the contaminated area with regular detergent or carpet cleaning agent.
◦Allow carpet or upholstered furniture to fully dry.

•Disinfection
◦Wear gloves.
◦Steam clean the area at 158ºF for 5 minutes or 212ºF for 1 minute.
◦QATS are found in some carpet cleaning products and can also be used after cleaning to disinfect. Read the product labels for specifications, and follow all instructions.

Quaternary ammonium compound products (QATS)[4], which are found in some household cleaning products; the active ingredient may be listed as alkyl dimethyl ammonium chloride.
[notify]

Hazel Mazel- (Mazie)

shy Mazie

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 6:03pm PST 
I posted that I am unable to steam clean!
Cannot use quaternary compounds as had a toxic exposure to them.
I can however use a rug shampoo. The link might be useful afterall.
[notify]

Taffy AKA- "Turd- Ferguson"

Loverboy

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:10pm PST 
I know this was posted a while back, but I wanted to let you know that my mom cleaned my cat tree with the furminator that she uses to brush out my very thick maine coone coat. I know this is not the same as what the original poster asked about, which was about killing the germs, but I thought I'd pass this tid bit of info on. First, she tried a shop vac, with no success, then tried using a fork to dig all of the fur off of the tree, when dad asked "what about that thing that you brush the cats with?" So mom got the furminator out and you would not believe how all of that cat hair came off the tree! It looked brand new! I'm thinking some of you cat people out there probably already know this trick, but I thought I'd share it in case someone didn't realize the wonderful trick!
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:21pm PST 
excellent idea - I was thinking of the sticky sheets, but I am gonna try the furmie!
[notify]