GO!

She has fleas!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Slyvy

I will rule the- world right- after a nap

Purred: Wed Oct 17, '12 6:30pm PST 
My 5 year old cat has fleas for the first time! I've killed four and didn't see any more on her..which means jack.

I've vacuumed everything and plan on getting flea treatment and shampoo on Friday when I get paid.

Do I need anything more for my plan of attack? So far it seems that we only have a few fleas and she's indoor only.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:49am PST 
Happy Birthday!!! party

If you use a topical flea treatment, you can not use a flea shampoo at the same time. The topical treatments use the cat's natural oils to distribute the treatment over their body.

I did the Pet Armor at Walmart. But it did not work in my Birmans long hair coats. I think it may work better for cats with short hair. I did find that the Adams flea shampoo was cheaper at Walmart by half price compared to other stores. I ended up with all pills treatment for my three cats. I got Capstar and Program from Novartis. I know it is expensive but was less work or mess, simply and fast.
[notify]

Slyvy

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:45am PST 
Thanks!
I'll try the shampoo first then since it's cheaper and right now that's a concern! Plus, she's gotten her winter coat in so that's a concern.

Can I wash her more then once with the shampoo? Like every 3rd day for a while...or will that upset her skin?
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 3:26pm PST 
If your cat will let you wash her more than once a week. I was only able to wash mine every 6 days. I did not find it dried out their skin with the Adams. I timed them to have the shampoo on them for 8 or 9 minutes, I know it said 5 minutes. The waiting was so hard with three cats. I had a shower head that has a hand wand to help me rinse off the shampoo that really works for cats baths. My cats looked and smelled good with the Adams shampoo too. I just can not believe it was $9 at Walmart compared to $20 at Petco for the Adams shampoo.
[notify]

Slyvy

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:14pm PST 
She'll pout but she'll do it.
What about the eggs? I've only seen fleas on HER so...
I'm hoping washing her a few times and then in two weeks doing it again will kill all the nasty bugs
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 12:57pm PST 
If you see a cheap metal flea comb, get one of those too. Comb offen to help remove the eggs. The flea cycle is three weeks. Plan on a month of baths and daily combing. Wash the pet bedding. Vacuum every few days. Some say buy a cheap flea collar for your vacuum bag too. But if you get to them early you should not have to vacuum as offen or need the flea collar for the vacuum bag.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 3:09pm PST 
I don't recommend constant bathing. It's very stressful for cats and can lead to peeing outside the litter box because they're unhappy. Bite the bullet and buy one dose of Frontline or Advantage for cats from your vet (do NOT treat her with anything over the counter from the pet store). It's good for 30 days - kills fleas within 24 hours. You also need to treat the house beyond just vacuuming. Recommend a SPRAY (not a bomb) with insect growth regulator and a 120-day residual effect. It kills live fleas and inhibits development in larvae and eggs, so larvae won't become fleas and eggs won't hatch. Spray the baseboards, edges of carpet, furniture, pet bedding, wherever your kitty likes to hang out.
[notify]

Slyvy

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 9:41pm PST 
I'd rather not use the bomb or spray. I'm sensitive to chemicals so I'd have to vacate for a few days.
Even smelling the powder can lead to a migraine.

I'll do the washing and brushing and pray that gets them all. I'm lucky, she loves being brushed and tolerates baths. She certainly doesn't enjoy them but tolerates them well
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Sat Oct 20, '12 1:16pm PST 
We did not spray. I vacuum my regular weekly time. We are now flea free because of Capstar & Program.
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 12:17pm PST 
Mine had fleas about one and half years ago. I couldn't believe it since mine are indoor cats.
I used Advantage II and Fleabusters which I got from Amazon. The Fleabusters is a white powder that harms fleas in their cycles. You can put in on the floor and on the furniture. Put the cats in another room when you treat the house. You need a broom to sweep it around. It doesn't harm the cats. Mine were fine once I sweep it into the rugs and floor. It took about three weeks but I saw my last flea then. I did comb poor Alex every day. I would place him in the sink and comb through his fur. Drop the flea into a soapy dish. Please don't bathe your cat too often. It will dry them out. The Advantage should be placed on the back of their neck where they can't reach.
You will need about one to two treatments to be sure that they are gone. Treatments last months.
Be careful and patient and the fleas will be gone. I did wash our sheets very often. I didn't use much of the Fleabusters and still have half a container left. I tried not to think about the fleas as I hate bugs of any sort. Alex has white fur so I could see his fleas easily. Good luck and relax.....Please stay away from Hartz products, they do harm.......any other information, I will be available for help...
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2