GO!

Wont pee in the litter box anymore :(

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Sabre

Can I chew on- that?

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '12 9:15am PST 
Sabre has NEVER had an issue with going in his litter box. Until now. We moved from Washington to Alaska the beginning of May and ever since we moved into our new place he won't stop spraying! He has been fixed since he was 6 months old. I think it's because(and I'm very irritated about this one) the carpets never got cleaned after the last tenants. So I think it smells like the last animals that were here. We are having issues with our dog thinking the floor is a bathroom too(that issue is almost resolved though). Just curious if anyone knows what I should use to clean the carpets. We are going to have to do a full clean and I'm looking for something that will actually WORK. I read about this stuff called anti icky poo... its expensive but if it works I really could care less about price(we'd end up paying more in the end if he doesnt stop peeing everywhere). Anyone heard of that stuff, or have any other ideas??
[notify]

Sabre

Can I chew on- that?

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '12 9:15am PST 
Oh also, nothing that could possibly bleach the carpet will work here. The carpets are dark brown shag. :/
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '12 1:10pm PST 
Enzymes! You need a carpet cleaner that say it has enzyme to remove pet urine. It's the only thing that works! (Like: Bissell Pawsitively Clean Ewww Enzyme-Powered Pet Stain & Odor Remover, Woolite Pet Urine Eliminator, Rug Doctor Urine Eliminator are just a few.) One of these will be in your price range I hope in a store near you. But....

Now, you must go back to landlord and ask them to pay for at least 75% the cost since they did not clean the carpet properly. Look! They took a deposit from you and at this point you will not get it back because they did not clean the carpeting or correctly. No ask them to pay more money. You have to get a rental carpet cleaner from the store then take it home & your time to do the job. Ask for them to pay more, ask for 90% if you do it yourself. You should only pay a little to get the better cleaner.

You can pick up a small black light to find the hidden urine. They sell them in the pet cleaning sections. I call mine the pee pee finder. (Mine is Stink Free - Stink Finder) I also have a Bissell Spotbot Pet with the Bissell rebate. I love it to clean up small accidents. I hate scrubbing up the dried cat throw up. I have long hair cats! Petsmart had Bissell Yikes! cleaning machine for 79.99 on Black Friday last year. Just putting it out there in case it continues. But we will keep our paws crossed for you.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '12 3:27pm PST 
When a kitty starts to avoid the litterbox, the first thing you want to do is get him to the vet to rule out a health problem. Associating the pain of a UTI or urinary crystals with going to the box is a very common cause of peeing in inappropriate places.

Sabre

Can I chew on- that?

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 2:13pm PST 
We've ruled out health problems already. It's all just related to the carpet. Carpet cleaning is not a requirement in Alaska when renting out to new tenants. Sad but true, the state is on the landlords side here. We actually own a duplex in Washington and always get the carpet cleaned so were pretty frustrated when we moved in and the carpets weren't. But oh well, my brother in law has a steam cleaner he is letting me borrow. Are there any type of enzyme cleaners that will work in a steam cleaner? That would sure make my job easier..
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 4:49pm PST 
http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox for tips on solving litter box issues way to go

Have you tried Feliway? It's a pheremone thingy that calms cats and it's supposed to help with spraying issues.

Cat Attract litter may help as well.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 9:03pm PST 
My sister has a Hoover Spin-Scrub carpet cleaner. It have a single tank. So we fill that tank with hot clean water. In a tank sprayer that we bought at the hardware store, we put the cleaning solution in it. I overspray the carpeting with the cleaning solution and let it soak in. Then the fun of us is put more clean water in the cleaner tank and throwing out the dirt water in the toilet. Is seems to never end.
[notify]