GO!

How to stop a cat from peeing on the floor

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 9:45am PST 
There it is. The big question that everyone wants to know. Here's the scoop.

I had a table in the dining room that Ophelia would sit under. One day, I noticed it started to smell odd. I moved the table, and discovered she had been peeing under there. So, I scrub, I clean, I carpet clean (luckily I own a carpet cleaner!). It happens again. And again. So of course I call the vet and get her an appointment. She's an obese cat, and so there can be a ton of problems.

I put plastic bags down on the floor after the fourth or fifth cleaning. She hates bags, so I figured it would keep her away. No. She peed right on the bag. From then confined her to a small area where she could go to the basement and get to the litter box as well as having access to food and water.

Took her to the vet, got testing done. She has diabetes. I also needed to get a urine sample, so I brought her home, keeping her confined (per the vet's orders) and got the sample. She has a UTI.

Okay- we're making progress. She is now on prescription food for the diabetes (Purina DM), and she got her antibiotic shot for the UTI. I let her out of the penned area, but kept the spot she was peeing in blocked off because I wanted to clean it a few more times.

I have cleaned this with carpet cleaner, two different types of enzymes from the pet store, the vinegar, soap, peroxide mixture. I have cleaned this area at least 10 different times. When I take the blockade down, she pees. So I clean again.

This last time, I decided to move the food and water directly over the spot where she's been peeing. Because everyone tells me that cats won't "go" where their food is.

Nope. She goes. She doesn't care. I just had to clean up two different spots in the area. How do I stop this?

I cannot have a blockage there of boxes and card tables and whatnot forever. Of course I'd love to rip up the carpet, but that's financially not an option. And I can buy any new furniture right now to cover the spot and prevent her from crawling under it.

I don't get it. My other cat Othello doesn't seem to care about the pee. He doesn't go there - he uses the litter box all the time. And Ophelia will go and use the litter box (and yes, if I clean it out any more, I'll just have to hire someone to sit there and scoop as soon as one of them does the business!).

So, I'm stumped. I need to figure out what I can do. Does anyone have a solution?
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 12:27pm PST 
I realize that this is going on in the dining room, but how about putting a litter box in that spot temporarily while she is being treated? Once the UTI is knocked out and the diabetes is under control, you can start moving the box slowly out of the dining room to somewhere else.

You could also try covering the spot with plastic carpet runner - nubby side up. Cats usually don't like that texture. Even if she pees on it, at least you could clean it up easily. One caveat - she may pick another spot in the dining room. That's why a litter box there would be a great help.
[notify]

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 4:14am PST 
Unfortunately we can't have a litter box there. We have an open floor plan, so it would be like putting a box right in the middle of a room, in a high traffic area.

It would be different if she never used the litter box - but she does. So why is it she can go to it sometimes, but not others? If I didn't know any better, I'd say she's getting back at me for the trips we've taken to the vet. smile And it has been a couple of weeks now since she had her shot, and since she's been to the vet, so everything should be under control UTI-wise at this point.

I don't know. I'm just getting frustrated because I'm washing carpets daily. Pretty soon I'll have a bare spot! I'll see if I can find one of those plastic mats today. Anything that will get her to go back to the box 100% would be great.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 8:46am PST 
No, her behavior is nothing personal against you - cats don't "take revenge." They go outside the box either because they don't feel well or they are stressed about something. When they're stressed and anxious, they often mark their territory with urine in an attempt to reassure themselves. I still strongly recommend putting a box in the dining area, maybe not directly in the spot she uses, but perhaps off in a corner, just to see if she'll use it there, and if she does you can then move it slowly into the basement. It's always a good idea to have an extra box in another part of the house. As cats age and develop illnesses, they are less able or willing to negotiate stairs, and sometimes they just can't hold it long enough to get to the box. Hoping for the best for you and her.

You can find good info at catinfo.org, catsinternational.org, and the cat pages at about.com
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 5:04pm PST 
Try Cat Attact litter It helps retrain cats to use the litter box.

Unregulated diabetics will pee a lot so it's important to keep the litter box clean.

Some diabetic cats associate the litter box with not feeling well so it might be best to get another different litter box.

For the diabetes in general, check out FelineDiabetes.com way to go There are lots of tips and info there on how to manage your diabetic cat smile
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Thu May 31, '12 2:15am PST 
As a last resort, would you consider trying a diaper? I wear one because I'm in the end stages of CRF and I constantly have to pee so I was just picking a close spot to do it. Now that I have my diaper, my mom lets me pee wherever I want but I still poop in the litter box like a good boy.
[notify]

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 12:01pm PST 
Ophelia has it in for me. She does. When I walk in the door I know immediately that she has peed on the floor because she runs and hides under the bed. She knows she's not supposed to pee on the floor, and yet she does.

I tried the plastic runner with the spikey things. She's peed on it three times.

The litter box is another mystery. It's in a quiet spot. It has been there for three years. She started peeing at the bottom of the stairs, about a foot away from the box. Okay, I switched boxes. Super big, not as tall - so she could get in if she was having trouble. That didn't work.

I moved the litter box to the base of the stairs. I literally have to step over it off the stairs. She'll pee in it, but when she wants to poop, she poops on the basement floor. She literally has to walk across the litter box and out again to intentionally poop on the floor.

It's a complete mystery why she's doing this, or why she's continuing to do this. Apart from ripping the carpet up, I will have to block off the area she's attracted to and scrub it daily for a few months until she can no longer detect the scent of urine.

FRUSTRATED.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 2:16pm PST 
Try at least putting a second box in the basement for her. Also, has she been back to the vet to check on her diabetes? If it's not under control yet, that may be a contributing factor. Recommend talking to a behavior consultant as well.
[notify]

Spook

Call me Mr.- Spookitty

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 6:09pm PST 
I agree with Monster, it can be hard to get diabetes under control and UTI's in diabetic cats can be hard to clear up sometimes. If you haven't been back to the vet to make sure the UTI is clear and your diabetes is under control you may need to start there. And like Monster said if everything has checked out good you may need to talk to a feline behaviorist. Good luck keep us posted.
[notify]

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 3:42am PST 
We haven't been back to the vet yet. At our last visit the vet wanted to give her a month of being on the special diet, and then we'll go back in and run tests again to see if it's doing any good.

I could understand if she never used the litter box. Then it would make perfect sense that all of this is UTI/Diabetes related. But the fact that...based on the litter box, I'd say 1 in 5 times she pees on the floor. That's the bizarre part. If I block off her "carpet" area, she'll go back to using the box 100% of the time.

Ophelia's always been my "problem child." LOL She's always had a bad attitude and is completely standoff-ish. Now we're getting into her senior years where she's giving me "I don't give a damn!" laugh out loud

We'll be heading back to vet again this month and then maybe she can figure out what our next steps will be.
[notify]