GO!

What Do Think About This Cat Litter, with Walnut Shells?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 5:19am PST 
Blue Buffalo came out with a new cat litter, its made with walnut shells. Someone posted, they thought walnut shells are toxic to kitties. shock

I know its kitty litter and not food, but they walk in it, and lick their paws. What do you think about this? shrug

Someone also posted, its $24 for 17 lbs, so at that price, I won't be buying it, but was wondering about the walnut shells. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 3:31pm PST 
Black walnut shells are toxic, regular ones aren't. You may know from having horses not to ever use black walnut shavings as they can even cause a horse to founder just by standing on them. And hardly anything grows under black walnut trees! Regular walnuts , the kind found in grocery stores and food, etc are fine as are the shells, shavings etc.
Black walnits are a specialty item anyway, very hard to shell and pick out, and the shells are like rocks and the nuts themselves are strongly flavored and kind of a regional/aquired taste so not many at all are produced commercially. . I strongly doubt that any would find their way into this cat litter. Also I am sure that BB is aware that they are toxic.
I had a gift cert that I won at a cat show, to an upscale pet supply place, and since I don't do luxury I chose nut shell litter to use for my kittens, tho I think it was $17 for 25 lb. It seemed to work fine and no ill effects but as you said too pricey!

Edited by author Sat Feb 25, '12 3:34pm PST

[notify]

Mister Grey- (Striped- Seven)

TICA M.S. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 5:56pm PST 
If it's the litter I'm thinking, I am currently using this with my cats. It's been working quite well for us. I needed something that is not dusty and won't trigger my cat's allergies or get stuck in their feet as they've gotten foot infections from that before.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:07am PST 
I have a hard time selling it because of the price. But it does work very well and aflatoxin isn't so much of a risk with it. If I ever get a raise then maybe I'll pick up a bag smile
[notify]

Mister Grey- (Striped- Seven)

TICA M.S. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:54am PST 
I just bought a bag, it was $20 for 20 pounds but if it keeps my cats from having problems it is worth it to me!
[notify]

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 10:31am PST 
I just bought Blue Buffalo on Sunday, I wanted to try this because I think one of my cats became allergic to Feline Pine(love this product). We have three cats and what I have found is that the walnut litter does not cover the urine smell at all, every time a cat uses it the house smells, also because of the dark brown color of the pellets when a cat poos its hard to tell if you have scooped all of the poop out of the box. One of the only good things about this product is that it doesn't track very much through the house. I can't remember what size we purchased but we paid about $9 with tax, it was almost as big as the bag of Feline Pine this was at Petco. I notified the manufacturer, they only told me I can return it for a refund or exchange it from where it was purchased, they did not offer to check in to my complaint. Needless to say I am dissappointed. I think I need to try corn or wheat next.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 8:03am PST 
I've been hearing good things about the regular clumping Blue litter. I think I'll try some today. smile
[notify]

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 7:57am PST 
I just started using this in one of my boxes to see if the cats would like it and they do (have 7 cats). It has great odor control for me (rep for company said it would and also said it lasts 4 times longer than other litters). I like the no dust aspect the best.

Barb
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 2:47pm PST 
I was thinking of trying it too. Thanks for the info
[notify]

max

here to help

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 7:22pm PST 
It's not what You like its what Kitty likes. Kitty likes clean. Scooped. Relatively low dust clouds that may confuse Kitty as to where to exit in a timely manner. Cat attract litters good. But most cats agree a quiet place that's clean(and not right next to my food dish thanks ) with ample depth. Is good. Yeah keep the Kitty bisquit eating dogs away till I'm done would be a plus
[notify]