GO!

Ants, ants, and more ants!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Siri

Purred: Sat Jul 16, '11 11:24pm PST 
Ants are every where in my house! They are driving me bonkers! I want to get rid of them, but I've never owned a cat before and I don't know what I can or can't use. I need a remedy that is fairly cheap (I'm a college student) and safe to use around my seven month old kitten and my five year old chihuahua. Between the two of them, they tend to get into everything, so it has to be something that is extremely safe. Any thoughts?
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 1:45am PST 
It helps if you can get the food bowls off the floor and put them on a table, maybe a low table with a step for the pup!

You can put a ring of petroleum jelly around the table legs as an ant barrier. We've had some success with that!

Good luck! way to go

Tabu

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 8:39am PST 
i know that this sounds crazy,but get food grade "diatomaceous earth"and lightly sprinkle it where the ants are coming in at.and around the food bowl.it will not harm any of the animals.its a very natural product.i had ants and used it once and have not seen ANY ants since.heres a link if youre unsure.http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html
i hope this helpskittykitty
[notify]

Siri

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 12:22pm PST 
OO I have heard of the diatomus earth. it's actually the exoskeltons of diatoms these really cool micro organisms that have silcone in them. Found in tooth paste too. big grin That's a good idea. Thanks!
For the food bowls, I feed them in my bed room and so far the ants haven't discovered them. and luckily they haven't ventured to the counter. Though I have to say I've been a little bit of a dishes and clean up your mess nazi with my roommate.
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 2:00pm PST 
we used to get ants on the counters where we used to live. mom thinks they were coming from another apartment. so my mom would scrub the counters down with comet cleanser. that stopped them. we werent allowed on the counters. we later found out the ants were attracted to the dry food smell. so mom had to buy a air tight container for our dry food. and she dosent keep food out during the summer.
[notify]

Damien

Damien Gunther - I'm a handsom- man

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '11 10:24am PST 
Go ahead.. put my food bowl on the table I'LL KNOCK IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAA laugh out loud
[notify]

Damien

Go ahead.. put my food bowl on the table I'LL KNOCK IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAA laugh out loud
[notify]

Damien

[notify]

Damien

[notify]

Damien

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '11 10:26am PST 
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2