GO!

What would you recommend for a litterbox system?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pumpkin

I'm gonna grow- up to be a lion!

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 4:29pm PST 
So we just took on our 4th cat (he is actually a kitten) and have 3 adult cats. Litter boxes we do are regular.. We had a scoopfree litterbox system which didnt work out for us because it was so costly to change several times a week. I'm thinking about buying a litter maid... but wondering before i do if anyone can recommend something that they perfer. Thanks!
[notify]

Devin,- Bonkers and- Sneakers

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 7:00pm PST 
Hi, we have three cats, and have three litter box's one is the petsafe simply clean self cleaning litter box system. ( it's a round litter box) seems have less noise then others, we have it on a timer, so it only goes on and off so many times a day,because after a year it became a little louder. we did try the scoopfree litter box but it was loud and only one cat out of three would use it (and only to pee in it.) it was not worth it. I do recommend the petsafe simply clean litter box system. it shouldn't take long for them to use it. good luck on your choice.
[notify]

Lola

My opinion is- just that.... - YMMV :)

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 7:33pm PST 
My sister has a Littermaid. She likes it. The cats like it. However, the box stated to not use for more than 2 cats. I don't remember if a reason was given...it may over-work itself or the mfg. was recommending more boxes for more cats. ??
Her Littermaid is several years old, maybe newer models state something different. Just something you may want to check into.
[notify]

Pumpkin

I'm gonna grow- up to be a lion!

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 8:29pm PST 
Lola, Thanks for telling me that! Even the multi cat one? Sheesh! I can understand overworking itself!

I'll look into the petsafe! Thanks for the recommendations you guys!
[notify]

Yogi

Yogi Bear - King of the- Pic-a-nic Basket

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 7:38am PST 
LitterMaids break. I currently have one sitting in my laundry room doubling as the most expensive standard cat box ever. It lasted us about a year.
[notify]

Lola

My opinion is- just that.... - YMMV :)

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 9:42am PST 
I just noticed that Pumpkin is a baaaaaaaaaaaaby. An adorable baby, at that. If you don't already know, Dr. Lisa Pierson (and other vets) says...

"Kittens (younger than 8 weeks of age) often have temporary bouts of diarrhea for various reasons. They are also more apt to step in their feces and then end up with messy cement boots. Very small kittens may even attempt to eat the litter. For this reason, I advise using a NONclumping litter for small kittens. This is the only time I will use a pelleted litter (I prefer newspaper pellets over the pine pellets) or the non-clumping clay litter. To maintain strict cleanliness, discard the entire amount of litter as necessary (2-3 times daily) and wash the litter box before re-filling. Do NOT just simply remove the feces - the urine MUST be discarded also."

Litterbox Info

Edited by author Fri May 20, '11 9:48am PST

[notify]

Pip

Purred: Sat May 21, '11 5:52pm PST 
Hi! I saw your question and was so anxious to share that I just spent 2 hours signing up/logging in/and trying to figure out how to do the photo thing all just to give you this response. Phew!

Anyway, I wanted to add my experience with the Litter Robot. In short, I LOVE it. Our daughter nagged us all year for a kitten so as her Christmas gift we adopted three kitten siblings in December. In preparation, I did a lot of research on litter boxes and the most popular one also broke the most.

Then, we were offered the use of a Litter Robot from friends who lost their elderly cat. I was skeptical at first; it was a lot of money and seemed a little ostentatious. I had three kittens years ago and did just fine with one regular box. Well, one week into new kitten ownership and I was frantic with all the scooping. I guess I am older than I thought. I put that thing together and the kittens all jumped in it at once! They were fascinated.

Shortly after, our friends adopted new kittens and we had to give it back. I panicked so I ordered one immediately and sent an email begging them to hurry if possible. Well, they did. Litter Robot customer service is wonderful.

I must say it is worth every cent. If I had the room, I would get another one. You can adjust the sensor under the step so that even a 5 pound kitten will activate the rotation. I empty the drawer every other day. Any 8-10 gallon bag will do. I also keep an enzyme spray bottle to wipe the drawer between big cleanings, which I do about once a month. There is a charcoal filter in the drawer to trap odors it is big and it works. It lasts a few weeks with careful washings. Replacements can be purchased on the web site. Since the main unit rotates and sifts out the waste 7 minutes after each use, litter usage is efficient.

It does need to be on a hard surface. The only space for it in my home is the living room which is carpeted but I got around that by placing it on a big round plastic tray with a piece of marble I had on top of that. I can slide it easily to vacuum.

Check their website for complete details. I ordered mine through Amazon and the reviews there on all types of boxes helped me to decide. Nothing beat using it first thanks to our friends—that was the decisive factor. Hope this helps.
[notify]

Sparks

Purred: Mon May 23, '11 8:18pm PST 
I have the scoopfree and to share how wonderful it is: its been sitting in my little 10x12 apartment room and none of my apartment mates have complained about the smell when they walk and I ask them constantly. And between two cats one tray lasts us two months. The system is expensive but considering how well it works so worth the cost.
[notify]

Bastet

Pet me! :)

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 6:47am PST 
I'd probably go with the non-clumping litter too. Also, I agree, Pumpkin is so adorable! big grin
[notify]

Archer

You idiot...

Purred: Wed Jun 15, '11 4:01pm PST 
It may not be what you're looking for, but I have a Breeze Litter system and I just love it!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2