GO!

Stainless steel litterbox?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love

Purred: Thu May 12, '11 7:57pm PST 
Mom read someplace, a long time ago (must have been either CatFancy magazine or The Cat Journal), that stainless steel will not hold the urine odor like plastic will so in the long run, although it may be more expensive, you don't have to throw the stainless steel out. The article recommended to find stainless steel pans, check with any area restaurants that were going out of business. The pans used on the buffet table were the approximate size of a kitty litter pan.

Lola

My opinion is- just that.... - YMMV :)

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 1:15am PST 
Didn't realize the stainless steel litter boxes at PetsMart were just pans...no lids. frown We have a LOT of litter boxes around our home..."need" lids.

If a pan is all a person wants, I would also price the food industry stainless pans.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 1:58pm PST 
I only wish that the plastic pans would have a recycle # on them. Our center will only take certain #'s and I always feel awful just tossing them out. That is why I was thinking about the stainless myself. Maybe I will just try 1 & see. That is after I get caught up with Tigger's vet bills shock
[notify]

Yogi

Yogi Bear - King of the- Pic-a-nic Basket

Purred: Sat May 14, '11 4:20pm PST 
Just bought a stainless steel catbox from PetSmart, and set it right next to the standard box I've got to compare. The sides are actually a fraction of an inch HIGHER than the plastic box. Just FYI smile
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Sat May 14, '11 7:22pm PST 
I wonder if a steel pan would fit into a plastic covered litter box. That would work for us...we could keep the plastic boxes with lids, but have the luxury of stainless steel. No filling the landfills with plastic and no germy plastic to keep around.

Guess I'll have to get out my measuring tape!
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Sun May 15, '11 10:52am PST 
MERLIN!! Have you no sense of human hygiene???????? I put my cats plates through mine, but only after they have been washed and I am about to put a cleaner through it. Litter box???? NO WAY!!!!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun May 15, '11 1:27pm PST 
The Tokyo Board of Health requires me to wash the litter pans and cat bowls in a separate ROOM from the human dishes...can't even use the same sink. Not that they're hovering over my shoulder all the time, mind you...

Putting a steel tray inside a plastic litter box, if you need a covered box, is a good idea. Most of the urine odor and wear and tear is on the bottom of the box anyway, unless your cat is a hoser, or one like most of mine, who scratch anything higher than the box--the top of the cover, the wall, a nearby stack of magazines...So, theoretically, even a steel baking pan (one with sides) would serve a purpose by keeping most of the litter, urine, and odor contained and away from the plastic.
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Sun May 15, '11 11:05pm PST 
After many years in catering and food retail Harvey I can fully understand where Tokyo is coming from. I wash my trays outside in the garden. Use water thats either been used for something else or has dripped off shed roof for it. NEVER wash them inside. But then I am fussy with pees and poos. My cats aren't so fussy.big laugh
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Sun May 15, '11 11:39pm PST 
Harvey,
We do have a few "hosers" (funny term). I didn't think about the possibility of the urine sliding down the lid and under the steel pan. Ickie. Guess I'll put that idea on hold for now.
[notify]

Purred: Wed May 22, '13 7:36pm PST 
For whoever is reading. I am desperately seeking the stainless steel litter box that you guys are talking about. Please let me know where I could purchase it. I really need one. I have been searching for weeks. Please let me know where you purchased yours from. Thanks.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4