GO!

Crystal litter - I'm in the store now! Mol

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Apr 4, '11 4:46pm PST 
what are the advantages of crystal litter? Are there any? Hurry I'm up in the litter aisle of PetCo! Mol mOl!

I need a good litter that's dust free, the humans of the house are getting coughy
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Apr 4, '11 5:40pm PST 
Dr Elsey's is the only one that doesn't bug Meowma's allergies to death, and it clumps really hard . Also keeps odor down, except when a certain "older" kitty doesn't cover her poopie. red face
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Mon Apr 4, '11 6:19pm PST 
Lol, here I googled it I hope you get this in time!

The Pros of Crystal Cat Litter

Because they absorb so much liquid, crystal litters result in less-frequent litter box changes. The owner of a single adult cat may only need to change the litter once a month (with daily scooping of fecal material, of course), which also helps reduce the amount of litter box waste cat owners throw away.

In addition to the obvious absorptive and odor control properties, crystal litters also offer the benefit of being virtually dust-free. They also promote a cleaner litter box because mold and bacteria are less likely to grow in the crystal litter than in other types of litter.

Another benefit of crystal litter is the fact that owners will use less crystal litter than traditional clay litters. Crystal litter is also sold in smaller bags than traditional clay litters, which may be a deciding factor for cat owners who are limited in the amount of weight they can lift. Some silica gel litters are flushable and biodegradable.

The Cons of Crystal Cat Litter

Along with the benefits provided by crystal cat litter come some drawbacks. One of the most potentially serious is the chance that your cat may eat some of the crystals. Kittens can be prone to eating things they shouldn’t as they explore their surroundings, but some older cats may try to eat the crystals, too. If your cat eats litter crystals, he could face some life-threatening medical situations.

Another drawback of crystal litter is the tendency for urine to pool in the litter box when the crystals become saturated. Manufacturers recommend daily stirring of the crystals when you scoop feces from the litter box to reduce the chance of urine pools forming.

A third drawback is that some cats my find the rough shape of the crystals painful on their paws when they scratch in the litter box. This may make a cat less likely to use the box with the crystal litter in it.

Finally, crystal litter is more expensive than traditional clay litters. However, some owners justify the higher cost of the crystal litters because they change the litter box less often, thanks to the high absorbency and odor control offered by crystal litters.

Read more: The Pros and Cons of Crystal Cat Litter
[notify]

Smokey

I'm a Dog- trapped in a- Cat's body

Purred: Tue Apr 5, '11 6:39pm PST 
Smokey has crystal litter and I totally agree with the whole list of pros AND cons! His is changed once a week, but is a HUGE box. I don't make it very deep, so I really think the cost is about the same. My main reason for using it is the fact that I don't find it tracked all thru the house like I did with clay, AND it is soo easy to clean out the box, there is no sticking to the bottom of the box. And, the one I use has excellent odor killing properties.
We use clay litter at our rescue. It IS dusty, but the boxes are changed completely every day so anything else is just too costly.
I personally cannot stand the powdery clumping litter... mainly due to the inclusion of portland cement dust which brings with it a whole host of other issues, particulary when there is a chance that a dog could eat it. And, you almost need dynamite to blast it off the bottom of the box!!
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Tue Apr 5, '11 7:26pm PST 
I cannot stand that, I feel like I'm down there mining in the litterbox every time I scoop. This just started though, that whole scraping the bottom thing. It never used to happen. Plus the allergies really kicked up in my house and I think it has something to do with addition of another box. I used Fresh Steo but just switched to Tidy Cats we will see. I'm going to try some crystal litter though now that I know.
[notify]

Namerovsky

From a- distinguished- line of tabby- cats

Purred: Sat Jul 16, '11 11:20am PST 
I did NOT think it was dust free. It does track less, which is why I liked it and used it for quite a while, but when I take the box outside to dump, a HUGE cloud of stinky cat pee and silica dust flew off.

Ultimately, I quit using it because of smell. I think WBCL is better.
[notify]