GO!

Outdoor cats pooping on the lawn

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Maverick

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 1:21am PST 
I think my neighbor's outdoor cats has been pooping on the front lawn. I didn't expect the cats to go on our lawn anymore since we have dogs now but one of them keeps going in the similar area.

I was looking for ways to deter them and I found somewhere saying grounded lemon peels spread around the area would help. I have a lemon bush overfilled with lemons so I would love to know if anyone has had good results with it. What do you do to prevent other cats/animals from going on your lawn?smile
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 5:21am PST 
Far out let's keep this going. I'm having the same issue only with urine/ spray
[notify]

Maverick

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 4:18am PST 
No one else has this problems except us? laugh out loud
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:13am PST 
I went to PetsMart yesterday and had one of the guys there tell me mothballs drives them away. He actually told me all those things they sell at PetsMart don't really work that well but mothballs seem to do the trick.
I was just looking for this post haha
[notify]

Maverick

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:13pm PST 
I heard that some people have used mothballs but I didn't want the dogs accidentally eating one. I think mothballs keep other small animals away too.
[notify]

Mischievous- Bandit- "Misty"

What can I get- into now?

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 7:19pm PST 
I thought I heard somewhere that cinnamon helps...or was that for ants? thinking

It probably was. I dont know. Maybe get your dogs to pee there to 'mark the territory' better. I had a friend who considered buying some 'big cat' urine from the zoo to see if it would keep some really nasty cats in the area away. Sounds funny but the idea was to mark the territory. Never attempted it, and dont know if it would work anyhow.

Mothballs only work if theres enough of them and they stay there. Usually they are great for indoor spaces, or garages, sheds, closets. Its harder outside becuase the weather and wind may move them.

Some of the 'boundry' sprays at petsmart might work. Most of them are geared for dogs though, and I know a few that do work with dogs.

Here are a few things that I know may work better:

cayenne pepper - although not good if your dogs will get to it.
rubber snakes may scare them off
. Set up a motion sensor that squirts water in the area
citrus peals, plant plants that smell strongly of citris (or lavender may work)
spread coffee grounds in thier normal areas - good fertilizer and they dont like it.
[notify]