GO!

litter box help..

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Mishka

go away, we are- busy relaxing

Purred: Fri Jan 21, '11 12:35pm PST 
I went on a day trip that turned into 3 days 2 nights. I should have changed the pee pad the day BEFORE I wnt away(I use the Tidy Cat Breeze) I came home and when I pulled the pad out some spilled. I cleaned it up and sprayed Lysol then wiped that up with a wet sponge. I realized too late I used scented Lysol spray (vanilla) Mishka started peeing and pooping out side of the box. Poop on the tile floor but the pee goes on a nice brand new wall to wall carpet. Not smelly and I used some of the Natures Miracle Urine stuff. All the behavior continued so I bought a new box (Breeze) thinking maybe I got some of the spray in the box and it wouldn't clean away.
I tried to put him (gently) in the new box and he howls and cries like he is being hurt! It has been 1 full day and I think he just peed in the spot I cleaned yesterday. I live in a 2 room apt (1 bedroom, 1 living room and a small galley kitchen. There is only 2 possible spots for the box - the back closet he is in now or the front closet right next to the front door. Since he scares easily the front door would be a terrible idea. What else can I do? Unless it is VERY coincidental it is not a health issue. It all happened with the lysol smell
I am open to a vet appointment but am 100% sure it is behaviour related not health. So- HELP ME PLEASE!
BTW- Mishka is a 10 year old Siamese with light athsma troubles and is very anxious when it comes to other people. There has been noone in the apartment but my Mom who he knows and loves. so no changes besides what I described.
sorry I am so wordy but I wanted to make sure I told all the deets.Also I am a bit anxious here! Tearing out my hair and counting pennies so I can afford a carpt cleaning..
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Fri Jan 21, '11 6:37pm PST 
It could actually be the most coincidental health problem ever. People clean their litter boxes monthly with bleach and chemicals and all sorts of floral nightmares and it won't cause kitty to howl. I think for a cat to flip out like that something has to be pretty off. I'd get a vet workup. Hopefully it is just a Lysol issue and you can just open a window and turn on the fan to completely dissipate the smell from the area. This may take a few days since kittys nose is way more sensitive than yours. You may have to gradually move the litterbox to somewhere inconvenient for a while and gradually move it back little by little each day to it's original spot.
[notify]

Calie- Dreamette- #17

calico girl girl

Purred: Fri Jan 21, '11 8:43pm PST 
Oh sorry for the troubles and I know everybody always says the same thing, "see a vet" in this case I think that is the best suggest I was thinking it's behavior just like you were until I read about the yowling and howing in the litter box that is really concerning.
I wonder if you could sit the litter box on top of some Large Puppy pads, so the out of the box incidents would maybe be on the pad rather than the carpet until you can get a better solution.shrug
[notify]

Mishka

go away, we are- busy relaxing

Purred: Sat Jan 22, '11 9:08am PST 
I will make an appointment this week. I hate to do that because taking him outside causes all now troubles. He is super anxious and I get a vet to come here for check ups.
Last night he decided the box was his friend again. He went in it like nothing was ever wrong. I will still make sure nothing is physically wrong though. Thanks for your advice.
[notify]

Calie- Dreamette- #17

calico girl girl

Purred: Sun Jan 23, '11 11:32pm PST 
Oh I know it is a hassle for mom and it is extremely stressful for us kitties,we are so glad you are going to just make sure all is still well with him. Hopefully he is still in the box tonight? Please do let us know how the vet visit goes or how he is doing.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 7:22am PST 
I'd wash everything, twice! You can rent rug cleaners from home depot or lowes I think, maybe even grocery stores. Not sure about that though.

Maybe you can re-wash the area you sprayed lysol with Natures Miracle. Then maybe put large puppy pads on the wall(thumb tack it to the wall, or tape it)/carpet he is peeing on. That way you can throw away the pads and not have to worry about your carpet. One thing about Puppy pads, they have a scent that attracts puppies to them. Not sure if cats are attracted to it or not. Although I always have one out for my Yorkie, and Hunter never used it.

I'd buy a regular litter box. As large as possible, and mix half and half of Dr. Elseys Cat Attract litter, and your regular litter.

If you think its behavioral, try a Feliway diffuser, to relax him.

If you're stressed, he is going to be stressed. Try and be as calm as possible.

Good Luck! wave
[notify]