GO!

The best litter for multiple cat use?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Tissue

Purred: Fri Dec 17, '10 2:02am PST 
We've used fresh step and arm and hammer for two who have to share one litter box. The only problem I have with both is that it leaves a smell on my kitty. Fresh step was scented so that expected but even with unscented arm and hammer it leaves a chemically after smell on my kitties. We used world's best cat litter at one time but the smell with that was awful...
[notify]

Avery

Purred: Fri Dec 17, '10 8:40pm PST 
We use Everclean. There are 5 of us and there's no odor at all! We have 4 boxes only, but Mommy scoops everday and it's working out.
[notify]

Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Fri Dec 17, '10 10:05pm PST 
1) If 3 cats are sharing 1 litter box - that is not enough litter boxes. Ideally you should have one per cat plus one extra. I know that's not always possible. I have 3 cats and 2 jumbo size litter boxes. If you can add at least one more box, that will help.

2) I've tries several brands of litter over the years. The one my cats and I are happiest with is Dr. Elsy's Precious Cat Ultra for multiple cats. It's low dust, clumps hard, controls odors well, and is only about $16 for a big 40 pound bag. It's available at PetSmart.

3) Cleaning the box with diluted bleach is fine. Boxes should ideally be completely dumped and thoroughly cleaned at least once a month and refilled with fresh, new litter.

4) Encouraging water intake might help with the urine smell. Less concentrated urine will not smell quite so strong. Make sure they have plenty of fresh, clean water available at all times. If you can afford it, a water fountain is great. Most cats do not drink enough. In the wild, cats get most of their water from their prey and do not have a strong thirst drive. You can also add extra water to canned food to increase water intake.

5) Not sure what brand of food you feed, but often times upgrading to a premium brand food can help reduce feces odor and (to a lesser extend, urine odor as well).
[notify]

Nellie

yummyyummy i got- fancy feast in- my tummy

Purred: Sat Dec 18, '10 6:53pm PST 
i used to live a one bedroom apt and didnt have much problems with odor. i had two litter boxes. and i use tidy cats mutiple cats long lasting odor control. my cats never liked corn litter. also i scooped everyday and empited out the litter pan twice a week.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Sat Dec 18, '10 7:26pm PST 
For the person who mentioned the Breeze system, how is it and how does it work? I'm intrigued and want to learn more! laugh out loud What are the pellets exactly? Hobie has asthma and allergies, so this might be a winner. How does it compare cost-wise?

Not to mention I'm tired of stepping on stupid little litter rocks...

That said, we liked the unscented Arm & Hammer the best. However, as others mentioned it sounds like you really need another box. How often do you completely clean and change the litter? With three at minimum I'd do it once a week.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sun Dec 19, '10 6:57pm PST 
I love the Breeze boxes, they really help with the odor and eliminate "litter paws" and tracking of litter (and reduces the dust.)

The Breeze uses large non-absorbent pellets in the box, with a grate underneath and a drawer under the grating with a pad that catches the urine. It's kinda like the potty pads they have for dogs. Since the urine is separated and held in the pad, it keeps in the urine odor and the cats aren't walking in the urine-filled litter either.

Depending on how many cats you have it might be more expensive than regular litter/box, because the more cats the more often you have to replace the pads. You can scoop the box and the pellets are replaced about once a month or so, so the main cost is the pads. I haven't really added up the cost, but before this I was using a LOT of litter per month but it's worth it to have less mess, odor, and no heavy clay litter to carry out.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 6:58pm PST 
Well, I ended up buying one to try this weekend. I found a $20 off coupon on their site, so that helped. I don't think it's worth the $37 retail price!

So far I love it though, no more litter all over my counters! The kitties started using it right away, however, only for peeing. They've yet to poo in it. thinking I thought Hobie was digging to China in it last night though, the litter makes a ton of noise.

So far the pad has lasted two days. I don't think it will end up costing any more than what I paid for litter before. We've always used expensive brands that were low dust, etc. anyway and I changed them out weekly.

If anyone is interested in the Breeze, the Tidy Cats website has the awesome coupons. This seems like a great system to eliminate tracking and odors.
[notify]

Gleshka

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 8:10pm PST 
Curious if any of you have seen this in the news portion of catster:

http://blogs.catster.com/kitty-news-network/2010/12/20/a rizona-man-turns-tires-into-cat-toilets/

What do you think about this stuff and do you think it will work in a multiple cat household? I'm sceptical...
[notify]

Ebony

Purred: Fri Dec 24, '10 8:09pm PST 
I loved the Tidy cat breeze system but they stopped carrying the supplies where I live.
I now use tidy cat multiple cats
[notify]

Billy CEO- Cat

I'm the world's- first CEO cat!

Purred: Fri Dec 24, '10 10:21pm PST 
My litter of choice is yesterday's news. All the sand based litter i used to track all over even when there was a mat under the litter box. My staff cleans the boxes a few times a day and with 3 other furkids, there is no smell. I know that my boxes get cleaned at least once a week because I watch them cleaning it
[notify]

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4