GO!

The best litter for multiple cat use?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Boo

Purred: Tue Dec 14, '10 10:20pm PST 
I am wondering what is the best cat litter for a multiple cat household. The kitties in my house share a box, and belive me it gets pretty stinky at times.

I am pretty limited on space in my apt. The box is cleaned and changed constantly but the urine smell gets to be pretty bad with three cats using it.

which brand is the best for controlling the urine smell? Thanks
[notify]

Abby

I squeak- therefore I am

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 12:20am PST 
Me Mowmy has an acquaintance with six cats who swears by Tidy Cats Multiple Cat litter.

When I first came home, though, my human parents used Arm and Hammer and it did a very good job of controlling odor, so my guess is that the Arm and Hammer brand for multiple cats is also good. (Arm and Hammer uses baking soda for odor control and whatever brand you use, mixing it with baking soda may also help with odor problems.)

We currently use Nature's Miracle, but I am the only kitty in the house, so it's hard to judge how it would be for two kitties. But it is very good with odor control so maybe worth a try?
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 12:32am PST 
I love my Tidy Cat Breeze litterboxes. It eliminates the urine odor by separating it and locking it in. Even with multiple cats people can't smell the litterbox!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 5:10am PST 
Boo, a second box would be really helpful if there's any way you can fit it. We use World's Best litter because it really scoops everything and you can flush it if your building's system can handle it. Makes things SO much easier. What are you using now? With all the scooping your mom's doing it shouldn't be smelly.
[notify]

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 9:32am PST 
I use SwheatScoop. I have two cats and it works great, plus it's not full of chemicals or clay dust like the other name brands
[notify]

Boo

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 11:20am PST 
I am using the Tidy cat multiple cat litter. Also I was wondering when you are disenfecting the box, what kind of cleaner do you use that is both affective at cleaning and safe for cats. My hubby does the cleaning and he has been using diluted bleach to clean the box.

So far the cats are ok. Should he be using this to clean and disenfect?

Boo
[notify]

Jefferson

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 12:45pm PST 
confused
I wish I could find the best one--I haven't so far. I take care of 15 cats in my home as I do rescue.ONE box is not enough for 3 cats. My home is very small too--about 1000 sq. feet. I still have several boxes. I use huge, clear storage bins from Target as they are less noticeable. The idea is not to get a litter that deodorizes. If it smells, you are not cleaning thoroughly or often enough. If their urine is concentrated, cats are not getting sufficient water. Some say they scoop daily but my question is this: Are you using the same litter you put into the box 3 weeks ago? Litter has to be changed out and the litter box needs to be scrubbed with soap and disinfected in between. Try that and see if the odor improves. I do want to add that Cats Pride litter is terrible. It is like cement powder and forms a cloud over the litter box, makes the cats sneeze, gets in my nose, and allows urine to get impacted at the bottom of the box in just one day. Once it does that, you cannot remove it!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 4:16pm PST 
I cleaned with diluted bleach after a foster kitten brought in Coccidia, but normally I wipe the box with a vinegar and water mixture. I have two boxes for BK and whatever foster(s) we have and I scoop whenever anyone goes in there if I'm home. I have a nose like a bloodhound and we haven't had an odor problem yet. laugh out loud
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Wed Dec 15, '10 5:06pm PST 
Keep in mind that plastic absorbs the urine smell and you most likely need to replace every six months or so. We use World Best Cat Litter. You can flush it. Expensive but one of my cats has high blood sugar and takes insulin. I used the Breeze Box for a while but her urine was so much that I had to change pads once a day and it got expensive and the litter was too much for my feet. - Bad De-Claw job - before mommy got me.

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Thu Dec 16, '10 9:59pm PST 
We use wood stove pellets. $5 for a 40lb bag, looks and acts just the way feline pine does. I did notice some smell but I started tossing some baking soda in there. Scoop the poop, change once a week. Probably more often for 3 using one. I've got 3 using 3 boxes. Tried four but it went unused shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4