GO!

Do you bathe your kitty?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 11:11am PST 
So, I've never given Maple a bath. But, I am slightly allergic (not enough to make it a big deal) but my family (who visits every now and again) are very allergic to cats.

I don't bath her because she doesn't ever appear to need a bath. She is clean as can be. But I've heard that bathing the cat will cut down on allergens. Is this true? If so, how do I introduce a cat to a bath! eek

Do you bathe your kitty?
[notify]

Tissue

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 2:52pm PST 
Yes apparently it actually does if you bath your cats with distilled water but uhh i don't know if it applies to distilled water only since thats usually found in like chemistry labs not your average bathroom.

One of mines loves water and the other one will put up with it but I bathe them in the sink. I have a wide low sink that they can just lay in and i pour warm water on them, kitty shampoo, and rinse! And warm towels afterwards so they can dry off. I think the most important thing is to not shock the cat and for you to be calm during the whole thing. Good luck! I know there are articles online on how to bath kitties.

Copied from petsuppliesplus:

Is there anything that can help people who are allergic to cats?

Yes, a study out of Washington University in St. Louis has shown that giving a cat a monthly bath with distilled water will dramatically reduce the levels of the antigen F el D1 in the cat’s dander, which causes the allergic reaction. Bathing your cat with distilled water will probably help anyone who is allergic to feline dander, whether it’s a person, or another animal such as the family dog .
[notify]

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 5:08pm PST 
Well now... Why on earth does it have to be distilled? That's a little nuts! But I guess I could warm it up in the microwave and let it cool down? Or heat it up like a baby bottle in some hot water...way to go

Does regular tap water work too? haha...
[notify]

Tissue

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 5:19pm PST 
I would think regular water would work. Distilled water doesn't have any ions in it so maybe the allergen compounds wash away with it easier or something? Sounds ridiculous to me, I think they used distilled water because they are a science lab and thats what they have to do. Regular tap water should work for the rest of us!
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Thu Dec 2, '10 5:43am PST 
Mmmmm we have never heard of the distilled water fix either.
I have bathed my cats since they were 5 months young.
Not due to allergies, but for our cat shows.
Ive have heard tho that regular baths can cut down on the allergens but im sure it will NOT make a person with allergies tolerable to the cat. Dont fill the sink up with a deep amount of water, make sure its a comfortable temperature, and most important rinse, rinse and more rinse.. a cat left with any kind of soap residue can cause skin and fur problems, not to mention additional problems if ingested while licking its self dry. If you want to degrease the fur and get them squeaky clean you will be safe using the DAWN dish detergent, Yes Dawn. You can also dilute a quart of water with some white vinegar during your rinse also, but make sure thats rinsed out too. (That helps rid soap residue) We like bathing in the kitchen sink using the hose. Also, dont wash the head with the sprayer, we use a warm washcloth for eyes- ears- nose, and head. Stay below the neckline.
We are bathed usually every two months, and sometimes more depending on show schedules..
Right now, im retired from showing and have less baths.. enjoying life - mmmmm shhhhh last time I had one was back in the spring... moms busy with brofur right now and his show career. So dont remind her, she may stick me in the sink for the Holidays so I can get Purrrrrtyed up.

Edited by author Thu Dec 2, '10 5:49am PST

[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Dec 2, '10 5:29pm PST 
I also show my cats and the ones being shown get regular baths...the other need baths but get them only when I have an excess of energy. Kyande Kisu gives excellent bathing advice--it's exactly what I would have said--using dish detergent and a vinegar rinse, using the hose attachment, and finishing up with a very long (some say up to 5 minutes!) rinse. I wouldn't advise using a shampoo with a conditioner built in, because I've found that the conditioner tends to make the fur greasy, but that could just be my cats. I have a bunch of Maine Coons, who tend to need an occasional bath because MC fur is greasy anyway, and baths cut WAAAY down on shedding. I'm not allergic to cats normally, but when I get a cat hair in my eye, I do get a full-body allergic reaction. And no, I don't use distilled water. I use warm tap water with a shower head. Using a shower spray helps with rinsing the fur. I would say that an occasional bath should help at least some with allergy problems, since it does clean the skin, and more importantly, because it cuts down on shedding (dander allergens can attach themselves to fur, I suspect, considering my own reaction). I don't know any cats who actually like baths, but mine resign themselves to the whole process once they get wet. If you can get together two people to bathe the cat (one to hold it, one to do the bathing), that's even better. They sell net bathing bags for cats, or you can use a laundry net (except that the laundry net will cover the cat's head, which it probably won't like). Have fun!
[notify]

Scooter

Even the sun- loves me.

Purred: Thu Dec 2, '10 10:51pm PST 
I bathe a cat only if I want to go to the hospital for stitches and blood infusions. big grin

Laugh (more) if you want but since I started feeding the furrballs rawfed I have had greatly reduced cat dander issue. Now, if I could just get the housecats to stop using the downstairs bedroom Berber as a toilet... (I hate the carpet too)
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 12:22am PST 
Actually, Scooter, you bring up a good point. I've never been bitten when bathing my cats, but I have been severely bitten several times when trying to use the hair dryer on them (gives long haired kitties that extra fluffiness for the show ring). Each time, I had to go to the ER for a tetanus shot, an IV of antibiotics, and a week-long antibiotic prescription. Since I have two artificial hips, should a germ stay in my system and somehow migrate to my hips (it happens), there would be BIG trouble. My orthopedist wants me to get rid of my cats, but that's not an option. As long as I don't use the hair dryer, I don't get bitten.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 5:12am PST 
If you start your cats at a young age and bathe frequently they shouldnt mind the process. I have to say I think my cats really dont mind at all the bath, they sit patiently and afterwards I do blow dry.
I use a spray detangler (Joico) very lightly as im drying. I do also mix a dime size squirt of a "lite" conditioner (Pantene) with a quart of water before they are rinsed (esp in the winter for static cling) - like Harvey said, if you go to heavy on that it will weigh down the fur and make it look dirty again.

Besides the Dawn/ or F1R2 super scrub on the first later up, we then go to F1R2 Snowburst for the colors -vinegar rinse, then the dollap of pantene for the conditioner and the misting of Joico. Got all that? laugh out loud
Once they are all dryed, fluffed, and smell soooooo good you will want to hold your baby and just smell how wonderful,clean and soft they can really be.

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 5:15am PST

[notify]

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 6:15am PST 
I'll try it as soon as her tummy is healed up from the spay. She is really a chilled out kitty anyway.

What about the pet shampoos from Ron Paul? That's what I use for the dogs (oatmeal and condt) it keeps them from getting dander and smells SOOOOOO good. It isn't JUST for dogs, the bottle just says "pets". And it's geneel enough for little ones too.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4