GO!

Safe Cleaning Products?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Fernando

Sir Sleepyhead

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 7:04pm PST 
Can somebody give me a list of safe cleaning products that will not harm cats? Like for the floor, dusting, laundry, etc. Anything you can think of that is non-toxic to cats and will not harm them in anyway would be great. Thanks!
[notify]

Sylvester

Purred: Wed Dec 29, '10 7:02pm PST 
I don't know the cat specific answer, but I have switched to all 'natural' non toxic products that are less harmful to humans and the earth, which probably means to the kitties. I figure they are licking their paws so non toxic products are the way to go. No bleach etc. Brands like Seventh Generation would probably be great picks. I just started trying to get unscented products for their little noses as well.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 9:59am PST 
I sometimes use vinegar, baking soda, Dawn dish soap, and plain old steam (like the steam mops) to clean. As with anything though, make sure to rinse well after using any cleaning products. way to go Lucky for me, Isabelle stays far out of the way when I'm cleaning, so I have a chance to rinse and let dry before she gets into the area (especially with like cleaning floors).
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Thu Jan 6, '11 11:11pm PST 
Sorry I don't have a list, but I just wanted to mention to be careful because some of the "natural" cleaning products contain essential oils which are toxic to cats! I try to stick to the "free and clear" type cleaning products with no dyes, perfumes or oils.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 4:20pm PST 
As others mentioned we stick to products that contain no dyes, perfumes, or essentials oils. Right now I like Seventh Generation products, you can go to their website to find out where to buy them locally.

Don't just assume that because it says "all natural" or "earth friendly" that it will be safe for kitties. A lot of these types of products contain corn ethanol and other things I do not want in my cleaners. Plus, I'm more suspicious of pets having a reaction to plant based cleaners than traditional ones. Plants produce toxins too and can be just as deadly.
[notify]

Neko

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 10:48pm PST 
I use vinegar fo a lot of things like dusting, counters, carpet, etc. I use a steam mop for the floors.
[notify]