GO!

Cat Grooming

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Davion

Cute as a Button

Purred: Tue Nov 23, '10 5:12am PST 
Can somebody recommend a good comb to get all the dead hair out of kitty coats? I'm just using a regular plastic comb, and it isn't doing much. The kittens I'm bottle feeding also get very dirty and I don't really know how to clean them. I don't want to bathe them or get them wet. How can I get any dried milk out of their fur?
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue Nov 23, '10 5:45am PST 
Zoom Groom all the way! way to go
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Tue Nov 23, '10 7:30am PST 
We have a Zoom Groom and a Bamboo Furbuster. We love both!

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Tue Nov 23, '10 8:50am PST 
Groomers and cat show exhibitionists swear by metal combs. The most famous brand is the Greyhound comb (no,it's not meant for greyhounds), but any metal comb should do--Greyhound combs can be pretty pricey (in Japan, in the $40-$50 range). It's a good idea to have several combs with a variety of teeth widths, ranging from fine (like a flea brush) to widely spaced (especially good for fluffy tails and mats in long haired cats). For a kitten, a Zoom Groom might be too big, but they're great for larger cats. For a tiny kitten, a toothbrush might work (I've never tried it, but it sounds like it could be gentle and effective). I wouldn't worry too much about getting a kitten a little damp--washing off dried milk with a warm, moist facecloth, drying with a dry towel, and keeping the kitten in a warm place afterwards should work. I've never had to do this myself, though. Remember, Momcats give their kittens pretty intense baths, and they end up damp in the end, but they cling to Mama for warmth, and their short, fine fur dries quickly.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Nov 23, '10 9:00am PST 
As for getting rid of dead and loose fur, especially the undercoat: in the case of adult cats, I recommend an occasional bath (once or twice a year, especially at peak shedding times in spring and fall). What products you use depend on your cat's fur quality, but diluted dish detergent is non-toxic, readily available, and really cuts grease and dirt. A thorough rinse is a must, and I highly recommend using a hand-held shower attachment for that. You wouldn't believe how much fur comes out, and how much better and happier Kitty looks afterwards! I wouldn't worry too much about drying the skin or fur if you're only giving an occasional bath; cat show people give their kitties a bath every week before a show, sometimes more often. Also, I don't recommend a shampoo with a built-in conditioner--unless the conditioner is totally rinsed out, it can attract dust and make the fur look greasy. F1R2 makes excellent, hypoallergenic, odorless shampoos for all coat types. Their shampoos are a bit expensive, but are meant to be diluted, and a bottle should last you quite a while if you're just giving your cat the occasional bath. I don't know if you can get F1R2 in pet shops, but it's available online. Cats don't like scented shampoos, so if you're going to buy a shampoo, try to find an odorless one.
[notify]