GO!

Flooring

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Mezzanotte

Are you trying- to eat my- kibbles?!

Purred: Sat Nov 20, '10 2:34pm PST 
I'm looking at getting rid of my carpet in the family room due to continuous cat urination. The padding and carpet is too thick that nothing seems to work. Has anyone used the plank vinyl flooring? I've heard it holds up better than laminate. Or would you suggest a different type of flooring? The kitchen, bathroom, hallway are all ceramic tile with carpet in the family room and dining/living room. I'm in Illinois where the winters get cold if that factors in on your suggestions. Thanks!
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sat Nov 20, '10 3:22pm PST 
I ripped out my carpets at the end of spring and put in the click lock hardwood flooring. It wasn't even expensive, it was from Home Depot. And it's amazing to me how my two rugrats can run all over the place with their nails sliding on the floor and NO scratches at all! I love this floor, I'm so glad I did it. My allergies weren't as severe and it was much cooler in here for the summer (thank god). I recommend it! way to go
[notify]

Mezzanotte

Are you trying- to eat my- kibbles?!

Purred: Sat Nov 20, '10 3:40pm PST 
My only issue with hardwood flooring is the seams. Its very difficult to get the urine scent out if it seeps underneath.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Nov 20, '10 4:44pm PST 
Human has bamboo floors. The kitten slides all over the place and crashes into walls when he's running laugh out loud Human needs to get a rug or two. The bamboo is nice but dents and scratches very easily shrug Maybe it's just the particular brand of bamboo thinking Claws might not cause too much damage if you trim them regularly.
[notify]

Scooter

Even the sun- loves me.

Purred: Sun Nov 21, '10 2:24pm PST 
Any flooring with seams will have a problem with urine retention. If you want to go with planking, ask about a polyurathene (sp?) that can be painted over it.

My kitchen is a continuous vinyl (very pretty and thick) so no seam issues. The rest of the house is hardwood planks that the previous owner had sealed. It all works a treat.
[notify]

CHARLEY- BLEAU EYES

I\'M HAVING- FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Purred: Sun Nov 21, '10 3:54pm PST 
Mom had Pergo flooring put in several years ago. It still looks like new. She hasn't noticed a problem with seams but then we don't usually use the floor as a toilet.laugh out loudlaugh out loud

The rest of the house has old carpet over white oak floors. Grandmother thought carpet was much "Posher"; Mom and Granddaddy didn't agree. Right now, the carpet will stay down until we decide what to do with the house. If we decide to sell it, we'll have to paint, etc., so the old stuff stays down until all that's over. Mom really doesn't want to stay in the house; she'd rather be in an "Active Seniors" development where there's lots of activity. We don't care as long as the food keeps coming and there's lots of cuddles and snuggles.laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]