GO!

Do you find with a front load washer; the cat hair just comes out clean?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Freya

Food is to be- played with,- then eaten

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 10:37am PST 
My human has a front load washer. She pulls the clothes out the dryer with clean compressed hair balls. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done to help with the problem. She is getting very frustrated,as my brother and I are Ragdolls and our doggy brother is an American Eskimo. Lots of white hair everywhere.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 7:33pm PST 
What's wrong with clean cat hair as an accessory?? laugh out loud Just kidding! I have a front load washer/dryer, too, but haven't noticed the fuzzballs after the dryer. I do see it collecting in the washer, but the hair seems to trap well in my dryer filter. Are there different settings on your dryer you could try? Fluff?? Maybe a new filter? shrug
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Wed Oct 27, '10 12:40pm PST 
We have front loaders as well and have never noticed this problem. Our lint trap collects it all. However, I did have this problem with the dryers at work (vet). Boy do those things create huge hair balls too. How often do you empty the lint trap? Maybe that's it?
[notify]

Freya

Purred: Wed Oct 27, '10 1:52pm PST 
Every time Mom uses the dryer the lint trap gets emptied. hmm the tech Mom had out to fix the washer (unrelated to us cats, human error on that one), he said this was not the first time he had heard of this problem. He even stated that front loads did not get hair (including human) off the clothes as well as the top load. His suggestion was to use a different setting to put more water in the washer (my thinking is where is the environmental savings there).
[notify]

Khaki (in- Memory)

The Mouse Police

Purred: Fri Oct 29, '10 12:23pm PST 
I have the same problem with a top loader. Some fabrics are just magnets for the wet furballs. The dryer is what gets cat hair out. I noticed when I started using fabric-softening dryer sheets, more cat hair gets trapped in the dryer filter, and stuff comes out much cleaner. Dark colored clothes still need a quick tape rollering before being worn though.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Oct 31, '10 1:48pm PST 
This is Delyte. Our peron has a top loading washer. It has a kind of lint trap on the spindle. You pull the top off of the spindle and there is ugly stuff stuck under there that you remove. This seems to help with getting the fur off the clothes.

One of the things someone told our person is to put a large piece of stiff netting in with each wash, either a couple of those string bags that potatoes and onions come in, or buy a piece in a fabric store. It is supposed to help scrape the fur off the clothese. We see a little help, but our person is no longer able to buy the netting at Wal-mart and will have to make a special trip to a fabric store, so that may not happen, given her difficulty walking.

For the record, BLACK cat hair is decorative, white and gray is disgusting looking! big grin
[notify]

TIA SYDIBIL

STILL WATERS RUN- DEEP

Purred: Sun Oct 31, '10 2:12pm PST 
I didn't have a fabric store (we do now) and I put one of those shower scrubbers (a new one) in the washer. Seems to be working.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Nov 1, '10 10:45am PST 
This is Delyte. Clever idea, Tia!! It sounds like anything that is fairly stiff and has small mesh holes would work. One of those laundry bags that they make out of mesh? The plastic scrubbers that people use to clean teflon pans, unrolled into a single sheet? They will lose their stiffness after a number of washings so perhaps the stiffer and more unnatural they are to start, the better. Purrs! Cats and their people are very clever indeed! applause
[notify]

Freya

Purred: Mon Nov 1, '10 2:35pm PST 
We will have to try that. There happens to be a few of these human washer scrubbers around. Dryer sheets will have to go back into the dryer along with the dryer balls and the antistatic cloth.
Black hair is great, Katie's had that, my brother and me have grey/whitish hair and dog brother is white (American Eskie). Poor mom has an superabundance of hair
[notify]

Hazel Lucy &- Mazie & Max

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Tue Nov 2, '10 1:13pm PST 
I'm glad to have found this thread as our apt bldg is about as "green" as it can get and they just installed the HE front-loading washers and dryers. I immediately noticed cat hair on the towels, which always came out purrfectly before. I pay extra for the added rinse cycle but still the cat hair is there.

Hazel Lucy
[notify]