GO!

Skin on nose peeling

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Kaidan

I'll come out- when the vet- goes away.

Purred: Tue Dec 15, '09 7:52am PST 
Kai has a weird issue. The skin on his nose started peeling off, as if it was burnt. It became very raw and a bit bloody, but didn't seem to bother him. We were going to take him to the vets today but it seems to have scabbed over today, so we've decided to leave it for now.
I have no idea how he could burn himself in the house, so any other idea what it could be? I've looked all over and can't work it out. Could it be from a cold or similar?
[notify]

Neva

Purred: Tue Dec 15, '09 9:41am PST 
Does he spend any time outdoors? White cats are prone to getting sunburned because of their light skin and fur. Even if he's an indoor cat, if he spends too much time at the window near sunlight, that could also give him sunburn.
[notify]

Kaidan

Purred: Tue Dec 15, '09 2:03pm PST 
He never goes outside. He does love the windows, but he always has, and it would seem odd for him to get his first sunburn in mid december.
The only new thing in the house is the christmas tree, could this affect it? Maybe a pine tree allergy? But it didn't affect him last year.
[notify]

Matty

Rescue cats- rule!

Purred: Tue Dec 15, '09 2:42pm PST 
just another guess...is he really active, and does he climb the Christmas tree? My cat Tigger, when we were kids used to wreak havoc on the Christmas tree, he'd fall out of it, jump into it, and generally it was his indoor holiday playground. Is it possible Kai just scratched his nose on the rough trunk of the tree??

either way, best wishes, and please keep us up to date!
smile
oh, and Matty says Merry Christmas!!!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue Dec 15, '09 5:57pm PST 
does he or has he had Feline herpes virus? sometimes cats get ulcers on there nose from this.
[notify]

Kaidan

Purred: Wed Dec 16, '09 5:39am PST 
Oh no, I really hope not. How could we tell? We have two fosters out in the house right now that came from a hoarder. They've had the usual vaccs, but I've never heard of feline herpes. How would he catch it?
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Dec 16, '09 6:03am PST 
dont worry. feline herpes is VERY common. something like 98% of all housecats have or have had it at some point!

its like kitty cold. its very treatable, but also if left untreated for long peroids of time or when they are very young/sick/old it can have side effects.

Signs are coughing, sneezing, watery eye, snotty nose, lethargy, not eating, ect.

but after they have had it and gotten over it, no signs may be shown. Sometimes if the cats had it bad before and gotten over it, an ulcer may scab over on the nose and peel.

cats get it very easy, its like the people flu. i beleve it is airbore and also can be brought in by clothing. of course direct contact also.

The vacc. cats get is for Rhinoitits, in the same family as feline hepes viruis. there really is no preventitve mesure for it. it happens to most cat households.

Edited by author Wed Dec 16, '09 6:06am PST

[notify]