GO!

Maggots/larvae inside our litter locker, help!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Flicker

You're picking- me up again?- GROWWLLLL!!!

Purred: Fri Jul 31, '09 5:18pm PST 
I went to clean our kitties litter boxes today, we use a petsmart litter locker (like a diaper genie for cat litter), and found it was time to empty it so when I opened it up there were several tiny (rice sized) maggots/larvae inside. It's the first time this has happened in 5ish months since getting it, we haven't changed how often we empty it or anything and I'm thinking it may be related to having another cat in the house, Ember, our stray who's been here a month. I had to have my husband clean it (I'm super squemish around bugs), so I can't give any specifics but could this mean the mom cat has worms? There weren't any tears in the liner so I don't know how they would have gotten in there, but I'm worried it could mean our cats are already having health problems or will because of this, am I just overworrying?
We're taking Ember in to get her checked out on Monday anyway so if she has worms it could be dealt with then but should I be taking any precautions or looking for any signs of further trouble? Anybody know what I could do to prevent this in the future?
[notify]

bicho

Purred: Fri Jul 31, '09 5:40pm PST 
Yep, one of your cats certainly has worms. I would advise you to take all cats to the vet to be dewormed (or take the likeley offender but come back with dewormer doses for all cats)
[notify]

Flicker

Purred: Fri Jul 31, '09 5:44pm PST 
I'll do that for sure. So far the two cats have never been in the same room, do you think our youner cat is ok?
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Fri Jul 31, '09 7:42pm PST 
Tapeworms (the ones that shed segments that look like rice) are usually spread by fleas. So it is entirely possible for them to be spread without kitties having direct contact with each other.

Needless to say, you'll probably need to treat for fleas, too.shh

Flicker

Purred: Fri Jul 31, '09 9:16pm PST 
I'm pretty sure I've seen that type before in cats and I've not noticed them in either of the girls, the ones I found in the litter locker looked brown and fatter, but about the same length.
[notify]