GO!

How do vets handle "scaredy cats"?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '09 12:42pm PST 
My friend has an indoor cat that is terrified of humans and basically feral, yet they are able to take him to a vet, do they give the cats a light sedative or something?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '09 3:17pm PST 
Smokey had to go for an ultrasound last week. I told them she is a show cat, and good at shows,
but at the vet, she is a scaredy girl. They also wouldn't let me go back there with her, some will,
some won't.

They told me they were going to shave her tummy, and put her, on her back, in a trough, I said,
that ain't gonna go over too well.

They brought her back out, and said she was fine. She got a little scaredy girl, and they put a
towel over her head, only to cover her eyes, if she couldn't see it, it didn't scare her.

Which, I guess makes sense, you cover a horse's eyes with a towel, to get them out of a burning
barn, otherwise, they won't move.

And, I have seen, what looks like a ice cream cone, that fits over the cats head, kinda like a muzzel,
it has an opening, so they can breath, but it covers their entire head, so they can't see, or open
their mouth.

So, maybe that is what they do, with scaredy kitties. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '09 5:10pm PST 
Veterinary staff have a way to handle fractious or scared animals. They, as Bumpurr says, put a towel over the head or they will use a cat muzzle. Sometimes we need to use cat gloves which prevent us from getting bit. however, in some instances none of these things work, If that's the case then a light sedative would be used for the safety of the staff and animal. I would recommend seeing a cat only vet as the offices are a bit less chaotic and they handle all types of cats on a regular basis. I work at a specialty referral practice and of the cats sent to us with "caution" on their charts maybe 5% are truly not able to be handled. It takes patience and time to make a cat trust you and in many clinics they are moving far to fast to take the time the cat needs to be comfortable.

Edited by author Mon Jul 27, '09 6:33pm PST

[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '09 5:46pm PST 
pretty much everything was said. we use towles,muzzles, special cat bags, ect. sometimes, if the cat is too nuts, a seditive is needed. but i havent seen to many cats we couldnt "wrangle" lol
[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '09 7:46pm PST 
I C , thanks for your input guys

Edited by author Mon Jul 27, '09 7:47pm PST

[notify]

Benjamin

Grumblin' kitty

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '09 7:54pm PST 
I am next to impossible at the vet. On Saturday, I had to have a sedative to be x-rayed. They can't weigh me, so I have to be weighed in the carrier on the big scale. They never take my temperature. Well, if I won't let them weigh me, why would I let them take my temp???? It usually takes the vet and two or three techs to hold me and then they can't do much because I'm covered with a towel and there's people all around. Recently, Mom unscrewed the lid to the carrier and lifted it off. They left me in the bottom part and covered me up and did their 'thing' before I could get too crazy. I'm wise to that now, so I don't think it will work again.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Wed Jul 29, '09 5:32pm PST 
Most cats will let a vet do all sorts of things to them that they would not dream to let their owner do. Our old vet technicians were always amazed about how easy Boris was (for them) to pill, when I'd bring him in exasperated about having attempted unsuccessfully to do so. He doesn't fight them at all.

They should have seen him at home, trying to wrestle out of a hold and trying to bite the pill gun even though we take care to immobilize him (he's a sweetheart about most stuff, but either pilling him or trimming his paws turns him into a hellion).
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Jul 29, '09 6:14pm PST 
Ya should of seen me trying to get liquid into Smokey, mol, I got her wrapped in a towel, on the counter, she is struggling like a wild woman, her head is spinning 360, liquid is all over me, her, the cubbards, and the kittens got their little faces stuck in hers, because she might be getting something good, that they would want. Then she spits it all over the floor, with the kittens trailing her, like
maybe she will drop something good, mol, mol, mol. I could of sold tickets, mol, it was such a fiasco.

Like you said, the vet could of just slid it in her mouth and be done.

So glad they switched her Met to pills.

And this is a cat, that will sit there, for 2 hours, to get washed and blow dryed, for a show.

Go figure. shrugbig grin
[notify]

Sabre

Protective Free- Spirit

Purred: Wed Jul 29, '09 6:23pm PST 
My vet could never handle Sabre. We ended up switching vets but before we did...He would hiss and scream at her and the techs. I always had to be back there. When he got neutered I was there until they knocked him out and I was there when he woke up.
[notify]

Heat

Mini-tiger!

Purred: Wed Jul 29, '09 10:19pm PST 
Heat is pretty ferocious at the vet too (he is ferocious everywhere, when I was giving him his antibiotics it was a nightmare twice a day!) He gets really mad when they check his temperature, and the vet was complaining that he wouldn't stay still when they had to take xrays.
I was a bit confused though cause at a point the vet even said that he didn't know if they could manage to take enough blood for a blood test from him because he wouldn't stay still. He can't be THAT terrible and I'm sure there must be ways to keep a 5 months old kitten still? thinking
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2